PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x idle issues, just rebuild carb, help

Solid Snake
08-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok I got a carb rebuild kit and put it all together because before it didn't idle regardless of the throttle stop screw setting or the pilot screw setting. Anyway, now it starts (always ridiculously hard to start) and runs, and idles. The problem is that the idle is really high, probably around 2000 RPM's or so, but then after I put it in gear and release the clutch just a tad to the point where you feel it just about to start moving and pull the clutch back in it'll calm down to a nice regular idle speed and can be adjusted with the throttle stop screw from there. But then when you actually get moving it'll idle high again, even between gear shifts you hear and fell the idle going high. I put in all the factory spec jet sizes and settings in from the rebuild kit (108 main, pilot 2.25 turns out, needle clip 4th position from the top). Any ideas? I looked around these forums and see millions of things but does this particular problem sound familiar to anyone? I wish this would run as well as our 200m, OMG is that easy to start.

oddball3
08-18-2005, 09:10 PM
What size pilot jet did you put in. sounds like you need a bigger pilot jet, or close the pilot air screw 1 turn and try it. Put the clip in the center position. And I would check for air leaks around the carb and intake.

willcamach
08-18-2005, 09:12 PM
i have the same ecxact problem with mine except that mine turns on easily at first then after riding for a while it decides to quit. i inspected my carb slide and saw a few nicks on the part where the idle screw would rest so i sanded it down just a bit and it worked okay for a lil bit but then started to do the same. so i just ordered a new carb vavle set from service honda. the set contains a new slide and spring . i havent received yet but will post if this solves the problem. also check your intake boot. and check for cracks that may cause air leaks.

oddball3
08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Also make sure you have the slide in the correct way.

bigredhead
08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
The 4th notch don't sound right..... I'll look in my manual in a minute for ya.

Yeah.. check to make sure the slide is in the right way.. but it would rev REALLY high if that was the problem...... normal idle should be 1400 rpm. if i remember right.

bigredhead
08-18-2005, 09:44 PM
1984 - PD 55 A
1985 - PD 55 C

Initial Pilot screw opening- 2 and 1/8 thurn out
Needle Jet Clip Position - 3rd Groove
Float Level - 0.55in ( 14mm )
Idle Speed - 1400 rpm ( + or - 100 )

Solid Snake
08-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeh I sanded down the throttle body where the throttle stop screw sits, the angled part. It did have a little nick in it but that didn't solve the problem. I'll have to check for air leaks around the intake boot. The pilot screw I'm using is the one from the rebuild kit which is just the stock one but new, I don't have any different sizes and since it didn't idle all funky like this before I rebuilt it I'm betting on air leaks but I'll wait for tommorrow to check that. Any more ideas? Thanks for all the help.

Glenn J
08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
so i just ordered a new carb vavle set from service honda. the set contains a new slide and spring . i havent received yet but will post if this solves the problem. also check your intake boot. and check for cracks that may cause air leaks.

Do you have a part number for that? What did it run?

Solid Snake,
In another thread I had started, someone suggested checking the area where the throttle cable enters the carb for air leaks. You may want to give that a shot.

Solid Snake
08-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Ok guys here's the latest. I may have eliminated some causes here. I found that it will only start with the kicker if the choke is all the way off. Before I was pop starting it 99% of the time. Also if the engine is cold and I start it with the choke off and I put the choke back on just to see if it'll run with the choke off it doesn't, it'll stall immediately. If I start it with choke off and then put the choke half way it'll stutter a little then stall (engine still cold) unless I give it throttle. I checked for air leaks around the area where the throttle cable enters and honestly couldn't tell but I ran it with my fingers pinching that area and there was no difference in the high idle. I still haven't checked for air leaks in other spots yet because I'm gonna go out and buy some semi-drying gasket sealer and use that around the intake boot on the cylinder and carb end. Any thought?

Glenn J
08-19-2005, 03:06 PM
I wonder if it's running a little rich..... You may want to adjust the pilot to reduce the amount f fuel at startup.

willcamach
08-19-2005, 04:10 PM
the part # depends on the carb on your trike there are like 4 or 5 diffrent models for the 200x. what you need to do is get the carb model # off of the carb the # is located in the side of the carb just above the idle screw and match it up to the list on service honda. the set was around $40.00 including $8.00 shipping

kilabeez0
08-19-2005, 09:15 PM
who says you have to choke it to start? if it starts with no choke then it sounds good to me. i dont need to choke mine right now either until it gets cold out.

Solid Snake
08-19-2005, 09:38 PM
True true on the no choke. Just thought It may help explain my incredible high idle problems (before it backs off and dies) in terms of carb settings.

Solid Snake
08-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok, I turned my air screw in all the way and it still has high idle but it backs off noticeably quicker then with it out between 1-3 turns (anywhere in that range). If I turn it out really far, past what it should be but still threaded in, it won't even start. So, my question for you guys is this; is my pilot screw too rich or too lean? If it is my pilot screw, where the heck do I buy different size ones for my carb? My local Honda shop is completely worthless, they have nothing, believe me. Also, what's with the slow jet (the one in the carb next to the main jet) should I take a look at that first because that has a number on it and the number is 40 (I don't see a number on the air screw). I know my idle screw is set OK because when the bike does idle down it can be adjusted with that. Please help my out here someone.

bigredhead
08-20-2005, 09:49 PM
If the jets you have in it now worked in the past... there is no reason for the to be the problem now... something is wrong.. that's for sure.. but one size higher or smaller on a jet won't make the bike not run........

Gotta keep investigating..

Glenn J
08-20-2005, 11:07 PM
the part # depends on the carb on your trike there are like 4 or 5 diffrent models for the 200x. what you need to do is get the carb model # off of the carb the # is located in the side of the carb just above the idle screw and match it up to the list on service honda. the set was around $40.00 including $8.00 shipping

Cool, thanks.