PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to repair this?

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I am a firm believer in "repair instead of replace." Any ideas at all on how I can repair this coil for my Z?

OldSchoolin86
08-18-2005, 10:54 AM
If the coil is good but the wire or cap is bad you can easily fix that. You can get replacement wire and a new cap, they just screw on (normal direction threads).

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Do I have to get those pieces from Yamaha, or will any plug wire and cap work?

Lomax
08-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Ah, a cap from anyone should work without much fuss. NGK makes aftermarket caps and I beleive that they offer wire as well, Check with any local atv parts place.

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks Will, I did not think of that.

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Trim the wire back an inch past the bad spot, solder a new piece of copper or steel core plug wire (Belden makes it, NAPA should have some). Put a piece of tubing over the joint and fill the tube with - YES, JB - WELD !!! - and itll work like a champ. Cure the JB in a warm place about 150*F and itll set up like stone. This is how I extended my 250R coil wire.

JB WELD RULES! :Bounce

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Trim the wire back an inch past the bad spot, solder a new piece of copper or steel core plug wire (Belden makes it, NAPA should have some). Put a piece of tubing over the joint and fill the tube with - YES, JB - WELD !!! - and itll work like a champ. Cure the JB in a warm place about 150*F and itll set up like stone. This is how I extended my 250R coil wire.

JB WELD RULES! :Bounce

You would not happen to have a photograph of this set up would you?

OldSchoolin86
08-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Lonesome, have you tried to unsrew the wire yet? If it comes out, splicing would be a bad idea. Instead of splicing in a new cable you could just install the cable. What's it off of?

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I can post it but like Oldschool said, check to see if it unscrews first, that would be a lot easier. If not, let us know and Ill go snap a pix

nouseforaname90
08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Hey Lonesome, have you tried to unsrew the wire yet? If it comes out, splicing would be a bad idea. Instead of splicing in a new cable you could just install the cable. What's it off of?

Any ideas at all on how I can repair this coil for my Z?

..his Z..

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
:lol: Yeah, ity is for one of my Tri-Z's

I tried to unscrew it. Now I have to repiar the coil itself. I think splicing may be my only option.

OldSchoolin86
08-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I've got a spare in my hands here from a Z it does come out but they gule their's in, there's not screw. I was able to get the wire out of mine. It's in there about an inch. If you can get your's out you could easily glue a new one right in there. You mention you broke yours? It you broke the thin little plastic by the coil don't worry, it's not really doing much. It won't matter if you have it or not.

ATC crazy
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Duct tape. It works wonders. My friend did this with his beater suzuki 125 :lol:

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I've got a spare in my hands here from a Z it does come out but they gule their's in, there's not screw. I was able to get the wire out of mine. It's in there about an inch. If you can get your's out you could easily glue a new one right in there. You mention you broke yours? It you broke the thin little plastic by the coil don't worry, it's not really doing much. It won't matter if you have it or not.

Once I broke the plastic I stopped messing with it. I may try what you suggested. Now the question is, Where do I get a whole new wire and cap?

rustbucket
08-18-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a better Idea. Take a die grinder/dremel with a cut off wheel and cut the plastic off the coil where the wire goes in. If your good you can get it off in one peice. After the wire is exposed cut it so you have a bout and in to work with. Use copper core wire since it flexes more readily. Solder a piece on a little longer than you need. Then take some silicone(not necesarily gasket maker, window sillicone will do) and fill in around the wire completely covering it, if you were able to get the cover off whole then put a little sillicone on it and stick it back on let it dry and you have a coil that will last . Avoid soldering copper and steel wires together because the mixture of the metal makes them corrode faster.

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Heres the picture. The splice is steel core wire out to the plug boot. Its hard to see because the red reflection off the paint makes the JB Weld look red.

The B.S. detector just went off. Whats this nonsense about "you cant solder copper to steel?"

That works for plumbing, but this is not plumbing.

How do you think they made that ignition coil in the first place? :wondering Copper wire soldered to steel terminals.

If that foolishness about "copper and steel" were true, youd have no TV, VCR, computer, no electronics at all. Kids, every electronic device you have is steel wires soldered to copper traces. :crazy: :crazy:

Its about chemistry.

And as for the idea of breaking that wire loose from the body, that works for street bikes, but not ATVs. The reason that joint is sealed on an ATV is that the coil gets exposed to a lot of water. If that seal is broken and even a little moisture gets in (crossing a river for example) ITS RUINED.

If moisture gets in, itll arc inside.

Now youll have to put it back together and gurantee its dry inside. If theres any chance that moisture got in, bake it at 150*F for an hour to dry it, then repair it.

sandpuppi101
08-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Go to the dealer get a generic coil for 5.00 from emigo ,try it out!!! or E-bay for 10.00 used.I tried that fixing a coil stuff,you weigh it out hassle VS riding .

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you rustbucket for the ideas, but I do not think I have the dremmel skill to pull that off.

Team Geek, thanks for the photograph, that is a big help. If i can come up with an extra wire, I may give it a try.

rustbucket
08-18-2005, 10:11 PM
You can solder steel to copper it just corrodes faster than copper to copper or steel to steel. it called something like galvanic action, Its like welding steel to aluminum, it can be done but it won't hold as good. Dissimilar metals just don't join good.

LonesomeTriZ
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I have heard that before. I know there is some kind of reaction when you combine metals.

TeamGeek6
08-19-2005, 03:48 PM
No, galvanic action does not apply to a soldered joint. The two metals are isolated by tin - lead intermetallics.