PDA

View Full Version : thumper carb problems

nimda78
08-18-2005, 02:05 AM
it seems i need a carb rebuild kit for my beloved ytm200k. please help in locating a dealer with fair prices. apparent strong spark, i know its gettin it, maybe some trash in carb bowl water, i flushed the tank with kerosene, and let it wir dry with some diicant packes in ther, a drained the fuel bowl drain, but ive yet ot pull tje carb. i want to redo the sock carb with bigger or suitable for cold high alttitude, too frustated to fool with it. yrll i re doe the carb. btw i have no airbox, clampon k7N filter, and a almost true straight pipe, i need some carb help, maily in finding ht right parts.

thanx, james

Yamahauler
08-18-2005, 02:19 AM
take the carb off, clean it out really good before anything, I doubht you would need a rebuild, the carb on my YTM looks brand new inside. I'm guessing its just gummed up inside.
What is wrong with it that you think it needs a rebuild?

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Yamahaulers right, dont jump right into a carb kit unless there are damaged parts. That usually means corroded jets or a leaky float (fuel runs out). If its not really a carb problem then thats a lot of time and money wasted.

nimda78
08-18-2005, 01:03 PM
cyl is wet with gas, spark fires got compression, best i can get is twice its ran for 5 seconds. before it did seem to blow some black, its too rich, puffs. no plug fouling. any ideas, welcomed

james

Yamahauler
08-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Did it just start to do this all of a sudden?

Pull the carb off and clean it out really well.
Check to make sure there is no holes in the float, blow out all jets with carb cleaner, then compressed air.

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Ignore the "no plug fouling" is isnt running long enough to get hot enough to foul it. If it has wet fuel and blowing black, look for a leaking float needle. Could be losing ignition too.

"Blowing black" stuff is partially burned fuel, which doesnt tell us much, that can either be carb or ignition.

nimda78
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
yeah i should have added this did just happen all of a sudden. last week i ran outta gas my only option was 25:1 2 stroke premix, i had to run some right before all this, i must have gotten trash past my inline somehow. soon as it cools off some imma pull the carb and give it the compressed air clean out, and run a sharp eye over it. i really think water is my culprit.

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 02:06 PM
It only takes a microscopic bit of trash to make that float needle stick open and flood the engine.

nimda78
08-18-2005, 02:10 PM
sure does tg6, i was really hot under the coolar about it when i posted. thanx to all who talked me down. thniking under a cool head it makes sence to just take the carb off and apart.

thanx again

james

TeamGeek6
08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Dont feel bad, I have aimed a firearm at an engine before!!

Just thinking, may have gotten some dirt in when the 2 stroke gas was added. Its too easy to get dirt in a 2 stroke gas can.

Go to Tractor Supply and get some sprayer nozzle screens, they work great!

Hows THAT for redneck? :D

nimda78
08-18-2005, 07:26 PM
thanx for everything fellas, i just came in from a kick assss trail ride. i took the carb off, cleaned, pulled the jets out, and cleaned them..some crud was in there.... now she purrs. only issue now is it idles great, but aplying the throttle the motor bog for a second then revs normally. the boot the carb mounts too is mostlikely suckin air, i removed the redneck black tape, and wrrpaed the boot in teflon tape, then put more black tape over that. it runs. im not complainin

kleyla
04-16-2009, 10:00 PM
i need help with cleaning my carbs on my tri moto, it wont idle after a couple minutes of running, it has a new plug but i think it has old fuel and it takes a while to start it after i sits for a day any help would be awesome!!

Yamaha_Rules69
04-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Kleyla, where are you located in MN? I could clean the carb for you possibly if you are close. You got a 125 or 175? Its pretty easy to do. Otherwise, look for some tips or find a service manual. Check it out in the advanced search space located to the top left of this screen. Welcome to the forums, and GOOD LUCK.

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
i need help with cleaning my carbs on my tri moto, it wont idle after a couple minutes of running, it has a new plug but i think it has old fuel and it takes a while to start it after i sits for a day any help would be awesome!!

Hey bud, try not to start a new question in an existing topic. If you start a new thread specifically about your model and your specific problem you'll get allot more help.....

Welcome to 3WW :beer