PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z clutch slipping at high rpm (HELP)

bushwacker51
08-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I just rebuilt the motor on my 1985 tri-z . Went for a test ride and noticed that when you give it gas the cluch slips and the motor revs up. I tore it cak apart and put new discs, plates, springs, clutch basket and pressure plate, back in the motor. I adjusted the nut on the pressure plate like the manual says turned it all the way in until it touches then locked the nut down and adjusted the clutch cable like the manual says. Took it for a ride and it runs fine at lower rpm but when you get to the upper rpms the clutch slips and the motor revs up. What the h-ll over put all new parts in it and it is still slipping. Any ideas before I take it to a pro to look at it?. Thanks Glenn O

BigGreenMachine
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
My motorcycle was doing that last week. Turned out the clutch cable was adjusted wrong and engaging the clutch enuff to make it slip at really high rpms. Start there I guess.

Semo Tri Z
08-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Did you split the cases? If so you may have put one of the little clips on the tranny gears in the wrong spot, that will cause it to run just as you described. I had the same probablem with my 85 Z. Turns out the click or bushing thingy between 4th and 5th gear wheels was in the wrong spot, so it didn't wanna get alway into 4th or 5th gear. JUST A THOUGHT $ YA!!!!

bushwacker51
08-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I did split the cases but I am not sure what clip you are talking about. I also never took the gears off the transmission main shaft. It slips in all gears. Glenn

honda200
08-16-2005, 10:55 PM
what kind of oil you running??

Curtis

TimSr
08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I adjusted the nut on the pressure plate like the manual says turned it all the way in until it touches then locked the nut down and adjusted the clutch cable like the manual says.

If you are slipping, and your clutch is in good shape, the bolt that the nut nut goes on is in too far. You do screw it in until it touches, and then back it out about 1/2 a turn. Then use the adjuster on the lever perch to take up any more slack if necessary. Your lever should not be tight. There should be a little bit of slop in it. If there is no slop, and your cable is pulled tight, it needs to be loosened. You only need about half a lever's worth of pull to disengage the clutch. If you tighten it all the way up, the only thing you do is keep it from enagaging all the way, and as it wears it will get worse.

shudup
08-17-2005, 05:03 PM
If you are slipping, and your clutch is in good shape, the bolt that the nut nut goes on is in too far. You do screw it in until it touches, and then back it out about 1/2 a turn. Then use the adjuster on the lever perch to take up any more slack if necessary. Your lever should not be tight. There should be a little bit of slop in it. If there is no slop, and your cable is pulled tight, it needs to be loosened. You only need about half a lever's worth of pull to disengage the clutch. If you tighten it all the way up, the only thing you do is keep it from enagaging all the way, and as it wears it will get worse.

that was my first guess that hte cable was too tight, no slop at lever.
this is a time that is good to be a little sloppy :D

bushwacker51
08-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I got it fixed. I did what Tim recommended and backed the screw out half a turn and it quit slipping. Tim you are the MAN. Thanks for all your help Glenn O.