PDA

View Full Version : Dented ATC 70 gas tank and how ya fixed it

42F67N
08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
I was wondering who where has fixed a atc 70 gas tank that was dented by the forks and how you guys went about fixing it i have a few ideas but wanan see i someone has something that sounds better :D

bigredhead
08-16-2005, 06:15 PM
depends on the size and position of the dent.

Suction cups if it's a big wide but not too deep ping.

weld a rod to the dent and use a slide hammer and then grind the rod mark off.

Water and freeze it to expand.... ( don't like this one)

air compressor and pressure it out.

etc..

bigredhead
08-16-2005, 06:18 PM
or if you can get at it from the gas cap.... push it out from the inside !!

42F67N
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
I tried to push it out from the gas cap hole but no luck the dents are pretty bad on both sides,all the ways * listed were what i was thinking but i guess i was hopeing for a magic solution lol,i guess ill have to do the weld a rod on one cause i dont like the idea of putting water in my metal gas tank lol

I have a compressor but i dont think it would pop my dents out there bad.

slothminx
08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
i also have the smae problem and you cant get at the dents from inside as there are baffles there (i think) when i run all the fuel out of it next im gonna try the metal rod idea unless you guys think of something better

bigredhead
08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
If you can bend a pipe or metal rod to get around the sleve in the gas cap hole... might be able to get to it.... that would be cool if it worked.. i popped one out of my SX tank that way.. still left a crease wich will require some creative use of fiberglass resin and sanding... !!! and a coat of paint !.. some airbrush work.. and 5 coats of clear !

Tri-ZNate
08-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I was wondering how to do this as well. How can you compress the dent out?

nouseforaname90
08-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Well on my SX, stripped all the paint off of the tank, put Bondo in the dents to make it look like original again, and had it paitned. I'll post some pics as soon as the painting is done. I'll be sending it out to the painter tomorrow.

darrel632
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
you could try to put a deflated volley ball/ football etc and inflate the problem from the inside out; that looks heavily creased though and may crack, I'd look for a better tank

42F67N
08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
I was wondering how to do this as well. How can you compress the dent out?Thats a dent id just fill in if i was you it looks pretty bad.

bigredhead
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
How on earth do you plan to put a volley ball thru the gas cap hole ??

And i would think it would burst the tank before poping out the dent.

darrel632
08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
No- -really works, put in an inflation needle and deflate the ball totally, twist it into a "rope" and feed it into the tank reinsert the needle (right at the gas cap)into the valve and use a hand pump to inflate it while you position it for max effectiveness, then use an air compressor and inflate the ball to about 85 psi - the ball will push anything not heavily creased back smooth you can do this on auto body panels as well as long as its not creased to badly the trick with a fuel tank is getting the ball back out, I usually use 2 1 inch dowels to deflate the ball it takes 2 to 3 hours to get the ball out, and only 20 minutes to insert and take the dent out. This will not work on anything which is heavily creased.

Darrel

bigredhead
08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Would be quicker to suck the air out of the ball .. instead of waiting a few hours !!

Got a girlfriend handy ?

darrel632
08-17-2005, 12:48 PM
No, im married ,that ended 15 minutes after the paperwork was over, (No LOL) it's trying to twist theF***ing ball back out of the filler hole, unless you loose your patience and just slash it up pulling it out with vice grips and trash it, you can't get all the air out and it hangs up - all the sharp edges are on the inside of the tank / filler spout

greenhuman
08-17-2005, 10:01 PM
I would not poke any metal rods to pry out the dent. If you damage the lip where the cap goes, it will leak around the cap forever. I would save up and get a Clarke plastic tank. No more dents, no more rust and stuff fouling your carb plus they look good.

Honda23088
08-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Take it to a body shop. ha. Simple as that. I wouldnt want to risk f***ing up my gas tank (if it HAD a dent in it) by trying any of these ideas. But hey, im too lazy to do any projects like this.

nimda78
08-18-2005, 02:12 AM
I was wondering how to do this as well. How can you compress the dent out?

body shops have a spot stick welder..it fuses a
"nail to you tank's depressions, you attache the slide happer, and very little plastic work will be leff..its 90% prep work, ten persent being job work

42F67N
08-18-2005, 09:56 AM
* can buy a stud welder with the studs for 100 bucks