PDA

View Full Version : Timing

Solid Snake
08-16-2005, 01:09 AM
I'm pretty new to working on 4-stroke engines, I've always worked on my cr125 2-stroke with no problems though. My only real concern is with the need for a timing light, from what I get reading stuff in these forums it is necessary to get the timing perfect. So what should I look for when buying one, I see tons of them on Ebay ranging from 10 dollars to hundreds of dollars. I need one for working on my 1984 200x engine. I see many relatively cheap Craftsman brand ones on Ebay...any good? Thanks for any help.

TeamGeek6
08-16-2005, 11:14 AM
"Cheap" rules. :beer There is no such thing as an accurate timing light because in the end, there are so many errors in just reading the marks and tolerances in the engine that it doesnt matter. Use the light to get it "close" then adjust the timing from there to where it runs best. Set a "baseline" with the light (for example, 20*) then lose the light and slowly change the timing one direction or the other, and ride it between changes. Ive always found the more retarded, the better, but that has its limits.

bigredhead
08-16-2005, 11:45 AM
You don't really " Need" one for these 200cc honda's..

Juse line up the timing marks by eye and it will run good.... the timing light is more of a " Fine Tune " thing.... imo.

Solid Snake
08-16-2005, 02:50 PM
So now I'm looking on ebay at timing lights and I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not this one would work (link below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4567190757&fromMakeTrack=true

I understand what ignition advance is and they sell timing lights that say they can set the advance, however I don't think that is necessary on my 200x so if I do get one that has the setting for advance can this be dialed down or turned off. Lastly what does the term inductive refer to when getting a timing light like the one I have the link for and where will I hook the leads up on my 200x because the 200x doesn't have a battery. Thanks for any help.

TeamGeek6
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Thats a good one, probably 50 - 60 new.

"Inductive" means that the pickup is clamped over the spark plug wire instead of being directly connected to the wire (inside the wire) as in the old days (30 years ago).

Use a car or motorcycle battery, or I use a 12 volt battery charger for power.

oddball3
08-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Like Bigred said just line up all your marks and you will be right on with the timing. Unless your going with a performance cam and looking for the most from it.