PDA

View Full Version : 250R problems

smokey
08-15-2005, 11:17 PM
I have an 83 250R and It has no spark so I took the flywheel off and put on a different stator off an atc 200 that was good. And it still has no spark so I checked the wiring then I got to the CDI and dont know if it is any good, is there any way to test it? Or could It be the little thing between the two coils on the stator plate that has two wires coming out or it? Witch do you think it would be? I am very confussed, Help!

TeamGeek6
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
That little thing with 2 wires might either be the pulse coil, it gives off an electrical signal to trigger the CDI to make the spark, or the generator coil. If either are bad, no spark. The generator coil gives off a pulse of several hundred volts to charge the CDI. The generator coil might be part of the stator and the pulse coil separate but that depends on the model.

Theres nothing you can test except to check continuity through the coils with an ohmmeter,

pulse coils usually go 100 - 200 ohms
ignition generator coil - about the same (?)
ignition coil primary - too low to read = 0
ignition coil secondary - maybe 5000 ohms

An oscilloscope and a live test are needed to tell if the CDI is bad.
If you cant figger it out, pack the whole thing up and ship it to me, I have a test stand to run it on and all the test equipment to test it.

smokey
08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I got it figgured out The guy before me had the stator wires backwards I looked the wiring Diagram and got it all straitened out.

TeamGeek6
08-16-2005, 10:21 PM
pulse coil hooked up backwards will throw it way out of time. Good that you fixed it!