PDA

View Full Version : 85 200X Won't start

ausatutah
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi all, I'm new to 3wheelerworld and I was just looking for some ideas on what might be wrong with my bike. I just rebuild the engine out of my 85 honda 200X ATC and now she won't start, when I kick it over it does'int even try to start, it just rotates over and you can hear the compression pump out the exhaust and hear the air suck thru the carb. spark Timing and cam timing is all set right, I am going to buy a new spark plug and see if that helps, I've taken out the plug and rotated the engine and watched the intake valve open and drop gas into the cylinder and I've also held the spark plug against the head and watched it spark, seemed kinda weak but still sparking. my guess is its in the ignition part of it all. but it all ran just fine till I pulled it all apart, is there anythin I could have done while cleaning everything??? anyone else had this prob,,, Thanks in advance for any help...

nouseforaname90
08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Hmm. Bad gas flow?? Even though you said you saw gas drop into the cylinder.
Uhm.. weak spark.. clogged carb.. air in the gas line. There are many things it could be. My guess is a weak spark. From a bad coil and/or CDI??? I'm just guessing on the coil/CDI thing, but I've seen other forumers mention it in the same situation.

chris200x
08-15-2005, 11:07 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Was it an orange spark or a pretty blue spark? sounds to me like a bad coil inside your stator. www.hyperparts.com. <--That's were I got mine from CHEAP! It's a very common problem with the honda 200 cc. Mine did the same thing. Be sure to check all your grounds and make sure they're free of dirt and rust. Be sure to check all connections too.

:welcome: to the boards. you'll love it here... :D

83185s
08-16-2005, 12:39 AM
i can almost garuntee that its the stator coil (excitor coil)....dud it run before it was rebuilt?? either talk to howdy or go to that www.hyperparts.com to get one cheap....try push starting it in 3rd...if youve got a hill around then thats good...thats how i always had to start my 200x...full choke, and 3rd gear runnin my fastest..

TeamGeek6
08-16-2005, 11:19 AM
If it ran before being worked on - theres no part of taking the engine out that makes an ignition coil or CDi fail, unless maybe a terminal on the coil or wire on pulse generator were broken from rough handling.

Most of the time, its bad wiring. Think about it - you probably had to take several connectors apart to remove the engine. Bad wiring (connectors) is common to motorcycles.

Whenver something "suddenly breaks" always go back to the last thing done to it, in this case, what in the electrical system was disturbed when working with the engine?

If the "spark aint white it aint right!"

Carb is easy to eliminate, new plug, squirt a little gas in the hole and try to start it. If the ignition is good, itll fire but not run long.

Same thing happened to my 250R, put the engine back in and it ran like crap due to a bad terminal on the CDI. Nothing wrong with the parts, just a bad connection.

ausatutah
08-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm positive its in the ignition because I poored gas into the cylinder and kicked it over and nothin happinend, so Im going to follow ever electrical wire and find out if there is anythin unplugged or dirty or rusty, after that if it all checks out I'll get a new stator coil... Thanks for everyones help

Glenn J
08-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Check the resistance of the exciter coil with a multimeter. Also, check the resistance of your plug coil and CDI.

I'm having a hard starting issue as well, but all my electrics checked out fine. Go figure. :wondering

sandpuppi101
08-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Pulse generator ,Are the springs retracting ,broke -how about the timing there ??? Check it out !!

ausatutah
08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
well I played around with the wires and cleaned up everythin and it was still sparking nice and bright, I adjusted the carb and started kicking again, did'nt start but it was igniting and poping occationaly, so we pushed her out tp the st and after acouple of pushes she started to run, alittle rough at first but after a few starts she now kicks over and runs strong I'm very happy, thanks for everyones input.

TeamGeek6
08-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Bad wiring, plus the cylinder loaded up with fuel. Go through the wiring and clean and solder all the terminals that you can, and that will eliminate them permanently.