PDA

View Full Version : '85 250sx rear tires suggestions

ChrisG
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Will mudlites clear the muffler? Any other suggestions I ride trails, mud, and snow.

Does anyone have mudlites on their sx?

nouseforaname90
08-15-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure they will, as long as you get the right size. bigredhead has Kenda Bear Claws on his SX and he says they rub the muffler, but not bad. Just get the next size smaller. bigredhead could tell you what the right size to get is.

ATC crazy
08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
It depends on the size. If you stick with the stock size (assuming they make that size) then you should be just fine. Mud Lites will probably give you a rather rough ride on the trails, because they dont have much sidewall flex. Knobbies, or Chevron style tires do very good in the conditions you specified. I had both on my SX, and rode in the same conditions you do.

ChrisG
08-15-2005, 10:40 AM
They make mudlites on 22x11x8's. I was going to stick to this size, but just want a all around good tire.

any other suggestions?

chris200x
08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Where's Edog... He swears by them. i had 22x11x8 wooley boogers on my sx at one time and they did great. cheaper than ML too!

ChrisG
08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I have Chevron's on it now, which are basically like wooly boogers but they need replaced soon. I have had no problems with them, just wonder if there is a better tire out there.

nouseforaname90
08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Do you see the tires on the rear of my SX? They are Sheng Shin tires (some people call them "wooley boogers"), and they do VERY good in snow, mud, and on trail rides. I personally love mudding with them. I have yet to get stuck in mud with my SX. And on trails, they provide a very smooth ride.

I would steer clear of knobbies though. My dad had knobbies put on his 200ES Big Red, and I had a hell of a time getting through the mud (one time I had to get off and push it out of the mud puddle :mad: ), and they don't do so good in snow. They are ok if you have some momentum built up, or are going through 2-3 inch snow.. but for deep snows and getting going in snow.. steer clear of them..! They are very good for trail riding though. Just my .02..

bigredhead
08-15-2005, 10:46 AM
My BearClaws are 22 x 12 x 8 and rub a little... if you can get them in 22 x 11 x 8 you will be fine. ( i don't know if they offer that size or not .. my SX had 12's when i got it and they last a long time.. so i still run them )

Personally.. i'm going back to 2 ply on my next set.. the claws are HEAVY and provide good stability, and have lots of grip. But in sand and snow they have a flat profile and dig in unless it's hard packed.

I might get Maxxi's.. Huffa uses them and likes them... i might give those a run. Big knobs.. round profile.. 2ply and light.

ChrisG
08-15-2005, 10:46 AM
^^That is what I currently have on my sx also. (the cheng shin tires)

brapp
08-15-2005, 01:59 PM
i run the maxxis surtracs in 22-11-8 and they are awesome and the best tire by far i have found for it!! and thier decently priced too.

ChrisG
08-15-2005, 02:16 PM
brapp, they don't hit the muffler at all? How are they on trails and snow? Do they have a thick tread pattern, the picture I saw of them is not really good so I can't tell. Can you send me some photos of the tires on your sx?

thanks,
Chris

bigredhead
08-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I wouuld like to see that too!

I was eyeing the Razor's as well......