PDA

View Full Version : Let's settle this once and for all

foster
08-14-2005, 08:08 PM
For a year I've been thinking of getting rid of my chain guard (185s).
It's all beat to crap, the little plug on the top of it is missing, there are small gaps in the bottom of it where the gasket is all wonky, and thus, it collects a WHACK of crap in there.
I've had a lot of people tell me to NOT leave it off, saying sticks will get in there and knock off my chain.
I've had a lot of people tell me to get rid of it and all will be well. (And I see tons of machines with no chain guard.)
I've had a lot of people tell me to lose the old guard and get a new one.
What say you and thanks for your input.
Cheers

MTS
08-14-2005, 08:14 PM
the factory put it on there for a reason if it was "useless" then why the hell would they put it on there? sticks n junk do get in there, not to mention you have to service your chain alot more, if you get a good guard and seal it add's years to the chain, my 200 i had the chain was still origional and in perfect shape, then a lent it to a guy who wrecked it , beat the hell out ot it got mud and sticks in it, then didnt lube it after a ride and the chain was CRAP when i sold it.

chris200x
08-14-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure about your model but I know they're real hard to find for the 200x. When you do find them on ebay they go for outrageous amounts of cash. I would keep it on there if I were you. I had one custom made to protect the engine case if I were to throw the chain.

foster
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the quick and informative replies.

Yeah, I still have the original chain and it's still in pretty decent shape and yeah I'd like to keep it that way, of course, for as long as I can.

Also, I never thought of the protection the guard gives if the chain ends up being thrown.

Great food for thought.

I suppose I could also take it off and work on it to get back into decent shape, paint 'er up, help the gasket stay in its proper place, etc...

chris200x
08-14-2005, 08:47 PM
My bad. The stock sprocket cover is made from cast aluminum and would not offer too much protection from a thrown chain. I pondered the thought of getting one but went with a case saver instead.

TeamGeek6
08-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Keep it! Prevents massive damage in case of a broken chain. My chain broke even with chain guards and destroyed the left side case.

foster
08-14-2005, 08:58 PM
To clarify, I'm talking about the chainguard that runs from the back of the engine to the rear sproket, not the cover over the front sproket.

chris200x
08-14-2005, 09:00 PM
LOL... Again my bad. Don't know what I was thinking. :rolleyes: :crazy: :p

Mobular
08-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Get rid of the chain case. Sport bikes don't need them and really, neither does yours. You just have to step up the chain maintenance a bit.

Troll 2
08-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I was with the rest untill someone posted a pic with there fingeres in a jar. ............................. :drool:

OldManDM
08-15-2005, 12:28 AM
^i don`t get it........did i miss the pic somewhere?

Troll 2
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
It was in a old post on the same topic once.............. ;)

OldManDM
08-15-2005, 12:36 AM
ahhh..ok......me personally, i`ve had quite a few of the old 4 strokers with the chain guard...kept em on a few....took em off a few, including the 185 with the rear suspension kit....and never had a bit of problem running without em....and tore up the trials almost daily on em back then....just had to lube the chain more often was all....but that`s just my opinion,lol

:TrikesOwn

Troll 2
08-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Found it.................... :eek:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=16371&highlight=chain+gaurd

chris200x
08-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Hey Moderators.... Twice I've deleted my posts on this thread and twice they've magically reappeared. What's up with that?

foster
08-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I remember that pic!
Bad stuff, that!

foster
08-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Well I guess since 60% percent say to keep the old one or get the new one, the moral of the story is to leave a chainguard on, according to popular opinion anyways.
Will do.
Thanks for your input!

thedeatons
11-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey... I tried to get an answer on this, but noone knew for sure... I'm reassembling my project trike (185S), and was wondering if I can put the chain case on (the inner and outer portion) later, or do you need to remove the axle to put the inner cover on??? If I can put it on later then I can make it a roller really soon, which is exciting.... I just don't know if the case will fit over the hub for the sprocket, which is press fit on the rear axle... Anyone????

Banage
11-25-2005, 04:55 PM
i got rid of mine 3 years ago, i ride all year round in every environment swamp to snow, woods to pits. I never broke any chains. Just ride with it a little more loose then normal so it will fall off instead of breaking. And that has only happened to me 3 times in 3 years and only in swamp riding.