PDA

View Full Version : My 1983 200x thread (newest pics on page 3)

Dammit!
08-13-2005, 10:51 PM
It's in better shape than I expected for $150. Gas tank needs to be re-painted but it only has one tiny ding in it. The frame is solid. Shock is blown and the bearings are shot. Didn't get a chance to ride it yet because the throttle cable is stuck but it started up on the first kick without even being able to give it any gas. Just about the entire rear brake assembly is missing. Front brakes are there but don't work. Missing a motor mount bolt. Coil wire is rigged. One of the exhaust header studs is broken. Missing a screw on the cdi cover. Fork seals leak and it's leaking motor oil from somewhere near the kickstarter. Pipe is rigged on there weird. Missing the airbox. Missing all the lights and kill switch/light controls. Other than all that and the ugly paint job and ragged out plastics it's pretty much MINT! :lol:

Ain't she purty? :w00t:

nouseforaname90
08-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Good candidate for a restore. What cha gonna do to it?

shudup
08-13-2005, 10:59 PM
dam good fer that cheap :beer

Tri-ZNate
08-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Not bad for $150 if it starts :D . What is it? another 200x?

Maine_Triker
08-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Good candidate for a restore. What cha gonna do to it?
I was thinking more like a beater.... :lol: Dammit! needs one of those!!! All his other trikes are too nice.... :D

Phil

BigGreenMachine
08-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Bassani pipe and silencer? Looks half decent, definatly looks better knowing ya spent only 150 dollars. So is this gonna be a beater with some nice mods, sorta like you set up your old X?

Dammit!
08-14-2005, 01:44 AM
I haven't decided on much but the color scheme. Gonna go with factory '83-84 colors on it. I was always sort of partial to the red, white, black and orange of those years. I like the rear wheels on this thing. I'm assuming they're for a 350x but I don't know for sure. It's probably gonna be sitting around for a while before I get around to doing much to it. Especially if I buy the other trike I have my eye on (which at this point is looking extremely likely).

My nice '85 is looking like it's gonna get sold to fund another project. This one will be even nicer by the time I'm done with it though. ;)

twgranger
08-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Not a bad price. Is the swinger stock?

edog
08-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Spray paint should be outlawed from the stupid.
Nice find.

Dammit!
08-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Not a bad price. Is the swinger stock?

Yeah. I'll probably track down a '84-85 swinger though.

Couple other things I noticed today. Throttle housing cover is cracked the front brake master has a nasty leak. No brakes on this puppy at all. :w00t:

And yes, spray paint should be outlawed. :mad:

Dammit!
08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Question: is it possible to powder coat a gas tank? I don't see why not but I've never seen anyone do it.

ATC crazy
08-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I was thinking more like a beater.... :lol: Dammit! needs one of those!!! All his other trikes are too nice.... :D

Phil

I would also highly suggest this. At least make it look half decent since you cant control yourself, and must have the nicest trikes around :lol:

Dammit!
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Question: is it possible to powder coat a gas tank? I don't see why not but I've never seen anyone do it.

Seriously, has anyone done that? Seems like it would hold up way better than paint.

OldManDM
08-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Other than all that and the ugly paint job and ragged out plastics it's pretty much MINT!

^hahaha....that`s funny....i don`t care who you are, that`s funny!

looks like an awesome find for $150!

ATC crazy
08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Seriously, has anyone done that? Seems like it would hold up way better than paint.

I dont see why not... :rolleyes: Just make sure they tape up the petcock hole and around the gas cap hole.

Dammit!
08-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I dont see why not... :rolleyes: Just make sure they tape up the petcock hole and around the gas cap hole.

I know it seems like a stupid question but the fact that I haven't seen anyone do it is bugging me. :lol:

nouseforaname90
08-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Just make sure the powder coater has the right color of red.. thats probably why not many people have done it. They just figure it would be easier to get automotive paint, or a spray can and do it.

Dammit!
08-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Just make sure the powder coater has the right color of red.. thats probably why not many people have done it. They just figure it would be easier to get automotive paint, or a spray can and do it.

It'll be white.

bigredhead
08-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Having to heat the sucker to cure the paint might be an issue for a powdercoater... considering the GAS factor !! lol..

Other than that.. i don't know.

Dammit!
08-15-2005, 11:47 AM
I have to clean it out in order to Red Kote it anyway so it'll be bone dry. I'll call the local place today ask.

jenndnn3
08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
If your guy say's no, my guy will do it. I havent turned mine over yet, but if you want you can have yours done at same time, also I have alot of your brake lines, you are missing. And maybe other parts tho it doesnt sound like you are going to do this one right away, lookin to work on a z huh?!?

Dammit!
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
tho it doesnt sound like you are going to do this one right away, lookin to work on a z huh?!?

Yeah the Z looks like it's gonna take priority. This 200x needs a LOT of work so it's gonna be a slow process. The Z doesn't sound like it needs all that much in terms of parts. Just a lot of elbow grease.

AZ250R
08-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah. I'll probably track down a '84-85 swinger though.
Whaaa, thats the coolest thing about that trike IMO!?!? :cool:

dividebyzero
08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Yessir!Not the best pic,but...

nouseforaname90
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
It'll be white.

Ooh. I forgot that little detail. Oops. Ugh I feel stupid, again. lol.

edog
08-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I am having my 1985 200X fuel tank powdercoated next week.

Dammit!
08-17-2005, 05:38 PM

Post some pics when you get it back. Is it gonna be white? How much is it costing you?

I got a quote of $60-70 for mine from a local place. It's got one little ding in it. Trying to decide if it's worth fixing that or not.

edog
08-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I am doing it myself.My friends uncle has the equipment.So all i have to buy is paint maybe,if he doesnt lready have it.

dividebyzero
08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I got a quote of $60-70 for mine from a local place. It's got one little ding in it. Trying to decide if it's worth fixing that or not.
If your gonna powdercoat it,make SURE they do a good job on filling,fixing,etc. that dent or else you will see it.That price is pretty close.I think i paid around $50 for mine.

Dammit!
10-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Did you ever get that done? I want pics!

breastman569
10-15-2005, 12:38 AM
doing it isnt the problem you going to need a two part paint just like and epoxy somthing that is a urathane and that is fule proof im not sure if powdercote is fule proof it may just come right up if you spill on it.

Racedude48
10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Powder coat wont come up if fuel is spilled on it. Usually if * catch it in time there is no damage done. Ive seen it done like 500x on harley gas tanks, i dont see why it cant be done on one of these. But wait to do the tank coating cuz it will prolly react with the heat of the oven.

Yamahauler
10-15-2005, 01:52 PM
I am doing it myself.My friends uncle has the equipment.So all i have to buy is paint maybe,if he doesnt lready have it.
You have to buy paint? Are you sure it's powder coat? Powdercoat comes in a dry powder, the part is statically charged and the powder sticks too it, then you bake it on. =

Dammit - You can buy all the equiptment you need to do it yourself at http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=460&iProductID=412. It's $100 for everything you need, It would be good for doing small parts, you'd just need to buy an old oven to bake it with.
More powder here....http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=845&itemType=CATEGORY

Quote from there:
"All HotCoat Powders are exclusively formulated for the HotCoat System. They are optimized to promote static charge for uniform coverage and finish. All are UV and fuel resistant. Packed in 8 oz. net wt. cans."

You shouldnt have to worry about spilling fuel on there. Also comes in gloss white ;)

Also, watch the video about the powder gun, its pretty neat.

Dammit!
10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
I would need a sandblaster too though and I don't even have a compressor. The costs multiply pretty quickly. Maybe someday.

Rm250RF900R
10-15-2005, 07:11 PM
You don't have a compressor? You should beable to pick up an old one for cheap. We've had the same compressor since I'm guessing 1978. Still works surprisingly. We have a sandblaster also. I just need a new hose that connects to the gun to the bucket. Its old, but still works. When I get my R I plan on restoring some of it. I'm glad I have all the stuff I need to do it.

Yamahauler
10-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Yea, that powder gun only needs .5 cfm of air supply, so you wouldnt need a very big compressor. I guess a sandblaster would need more. I thought maybe you would have acess to one if you worked at a shop or something. I might get one someday, I dont have anywhere to put the oven though.

Dammit!
10-15-2005, 10:05 PM
It's all on "the list". It's a damn big list though. :lol:

edog
10-15-2005, 10:15 PM
I would need a sandblaster too though and I don't even have a compressor. The costs multiply pretty quickly. Maybe someday.

I got the goods for what you need.I am setting up a compressor for the record books,Wait till you see this thing, you won't beleave it.It is going to have a built in vibration dampper,Air cooler,air dehumidifier,moister trap just incase any moisture tryes to get into the tank,a really nice pressure switch . :w00t: :Bounce :Bounce

edog
10-15-2005, 10:20 PM
You have to buy paint? Are you sure it's powder coat? Powdercoat comes in a dry powder, the part is statically charged and the powder sticks too it, then you bake it on. =

Dammit - You can buy all the equiptment you need to do it yourself at http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=460&iProductID=412. It's $100 for everything you need, It would be good for doing small parts, you'd just need to buy an old oven to bake it with.
More powder here....http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=845&itemType=CATEGORY

Quote from there:
"All HotCoat Powders are exclusively formulated for the HotCoat System. They are optimized to promote static charge for uniform coverage and finish. All are UV and fuel resistant. Packed in 8 oz. net wt. cans."

You shouldnt have to worry about spilling fuel on there. Also comes in gloss white ;)

Also, watch the video about the powder gun, its pretty neat.

I meant powder.It has to be baked at 350 degree's for an hour to cure.You can use a small Blacken Decker toaster over to do small parts.For bigger parts you can just use a conventional oven.

DeePa
10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
i didnt know you wanted air inside an air tank...oh, you must have meant moisture :)

anyways, i think once i get some funds, im gonna pick up that powercoater and give it a whirl...

Dammit!
11-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Nothing new done to this trike yet but just wanted to relay something funny.

I was just out in the garage cleaning up the 250R a bit. I looked over at this sad looking 200x and decided to hop on it for a sec just to get a feel for it. I literally have not touched this thing since I parked it after bringing it home. It can't be ridden because it has absolutely no brakes at all. Throttle cable is completely stuck in the off position too so you can't even give it any gas.

Anyway, just sitting on it I decided to kick it over just to see how much compression it had and the damn thing started! I barely even kicked it! It was like a half kick. Freakin' Honda's man, lol!

BigGreenMachine
11-13-2005, 02:49 PM
How did that sucker sound? Bet it was knarly!

Dammit!
11-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Well all it does is idle because the throttle is stuck but yeah, those bassini pipes sound cool. Thinking about offering the pipe up for trade though. If someone had a Supertrapp racing series pipe in solid shape (no holes or dents, don't care how ugly it is) and maybe another piece or two that I need I'd trade it.

Darius1502
11-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Dang man thats incredible. Go ride it...screw the brakes!! J/K

BigGreenMachine
11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
haha yeah fer sure, fix the throttle and go have fun on it.

travis712
04-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Any new progress on this? I was thinking of picking up an 83-85 200x to fix up, I have an 86 200x and the parts are a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* to come by.

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Still just collecting parts. Got a SWEET gas tank from Louis Mielke. Looks like it's brand new. I just need a few more things before it's time to start powdercoating and swapping parts to the other frame I'm gonna use.

Dammit!
04-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Here's a quick pic of the new tank. Makes me anxious to get the rest of the trike looking that good. :lol:

Dammit!
10-20-2006, 09:36 PM
I felt bad for the 200x because all the other trikes were getting goodies put on this week so I went ahead and bolted up the 250r front fender and the Maier Super Scoops. :lol:

edog
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Any updates?

Dammit!
04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Just waiting on the swingarm from Kasey. After I get that back and powdercoated I can put a nice looking roller together (frame, pegs, hubs, bars and a bunch of other stuff is already powdercoated). Then I'll just need get a rear fender and get to work on the mechanical items.

BigGreenMachine
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Extended swingarm or just a good stocker?

Dammit!
04-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Stock with beefed up skid plate mounts. Got a nice PRM skid plate for it but it wouldn't do me much good with those weak stock mounts.

Edit: I just realized I bought this thing almost two years ago. Progress is speeding along like a three wheeled bullet huh? :lol:

BigGreenMachine
04-30-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the 200X would be a great little duner to take along with the R IMO.

Dammit!
04-30-2007, 04:57 PM
The only way I can imagine myself taking the little X to the dunes is if my gf outgrows the 250sx and wants something with a little more power and a clutch. I don't except that to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. She's got a long way to go before she'll even get the 250sx mastered.

I'm setting it up for myself to ride in the local desert areas. I probably won't ride it much but I just feel compelled to finish it. Realisticly, I probably should have sold it when I bought the 350x. I have 7 trikes right now. It's really pointless to have that many but... I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! :lol:

200xfreek
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
you shouldnt powder a tank cause: it has to be baked a 500 + degrees to melt the powder. You almost never find a perfect tank .Therefore you cant heat a tank with (Bondo) filler you have used, to fix your dings.The heat expands the filler and it cracks or worse ,comes off.....oh it sucks when that happens!