PDA

View Full Version : atermarket head for 84 Tecate

1984kxtTECATE
08-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I have been e-mailing RK Tech I think it is about possibly producing a first generation Tecate Head, the first response was...... We do not surrently make Tecate heads we can but it will be around 500 dollars.

So I wrote up a reply, if you do make one will you keep the origanl mold or blue print and use it for future production for heads for the tecate, I know a few Tecate guys who are craving aftermarket support, I will do this if it is cheaper for others down the road.....

Tell me what you guys think, it would be spendy, but we would have yet another aftermarket part to put on our fire beathers, and if they do pruduce it cost will go down for others, gotta keep these machines alive and healthy.

1984kxtTECATE
08-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Alright looks like we need 7 orders and the price will go way down from 500 bux, here is an attachment of the e-mail by the way....

If we can get an order for 7 heads the price will go way down
Torque-Line 2-Stroke Performance Heads by RK Tek
TRUE Performance Heads Customized for Your Particular Engine
www.2strokeheads.com
torqueline@2strokeheads.com
208-852-3221 FAX: 208-852-3228

Please reply if you are intrested, i mean common just 7 orders and I will get a quote.....I am down for 1 head, so now all we need is 6 lol.

BigGreenMachine
08-14-2005, 07:29 PM
When will they be done and what will be done to the head? How much of a price drop are we talking about?

TRIZTUNES
08-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey guys,

those heads are already being made!

Sprock racing

83-85 kx or tecate $285.00+shipping!!!

86-87 tecate 3+4 $310.00+shipping!!!!!

he sells them on ebay once in awhile.

user name-bahama-momma5

makes big bore kits also.

TRIZTUNES!!!!

BigGreenMachine
08-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Tunes

1984kxtTECATE
08-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Yes thanks tunes!!!! I should of checked, im suprised sprock didnt come to mind.

90nut
08-14-2005, 08:44 PM
well, if you get a quote on what it would be I will probably interested. But I really need to know a price before I commit

BigGreenMachine
08-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Check out the price on the 330 kit, fark! lol The 300 kit isnt too bad but the plated cylinder will keep me from purchasing it, the cost of a rebuild would be harsh.

TRITecate350
10-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Plated bores are not that bad on a rebuild. It is like $150 for the new plating and you only need to replate if it is wore out, and the lifetime of a plated bore is 10 times longer than that of a sleeved topend. If you bore your cylinder every year and all I do is clean and replace w/new piston, you will have $40 per year/ $400 in 10 years. Plus you will need to resleeve your topend at least once in 10 years which is about $250 for the sleeve, labor, boring for piston. So in my way of thinking nikisil is alot cheaper, and I love the fact that I can take off the topend, clean it, put a new piston/gaskets etc, and then start it up and ride. I dont have to send it off, or take it to a local shop and wait a week while they bore it for me.
The only draw back I have experinced is I had a airfilter fall off my bike, and the sand and dirt destroyed my piston and scratched up the nikisil. I had to replate where all you would have to do is bore it out.
Also there is a lot of tecates out there with the original plating it came with 20 years ago.

Keep in mind I am very biased against sleeveing, I have had my share of problems with sleeving, including the sleeve turning in the cylinder, the head gasket blowing out because the sleeve droped down in the cylinder etc. But this is not the fault of the sleeving process, just the dumb shops who did the sleeving for me wrong.

I know that Sprock Racing uses NiCom plating and it is the best, and it comes with a one year warranty on the plating. With alittle searching on kawieriders you can find the nikisil vs sleeving posts and it pretty much covers all areas of the plating vs sleeving. Sprock Racing is argueing that plating is better, and ILR Preformance is for the sleeving, so you can both sides battleing it out,