PDA

View Full Version : Compression Test on SX !!

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 11:53 PM
150 PSI !!! :w00t:

Had the Sx apart tonight to weld up the gas tank wich has a crack on the top layer close to the 10mm bolt that holds it to the frame.. it did the macarena thru the trails and a gas leak was soon to follow.

I put the tester on it cold, not at operating temp.. got 150 psi.

Clymer says it should read between 165 - 195 so i'm on the low side.

How low is too low ?

Also noticed that my spark plug was not in very tight.... might have been the cause of my hard hot starting problem.... hmmmm :mad:

I poured oil.. 5w30 down the plug hole and tested again.... i think i put too much as it gave me a reading of 270 +...... hmmmmmmm i let it sit again and got my 180 with oil in the cylinder. so rings are worn i guess.

Tip : When you perform a compression test.. and you pour oil in the plug hole.... roll the trike OUTSIDE before you fire it up again !!!!! :eek:

I made sure i had the throttle on full, choke off.. and used the electric starter to crank it over.

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Here is a snap of the operation in progress !!!

freewheel3
08-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Tip : When you perform a compression test.. and you pour oil in the plug hole.... roll the trike OUTSIDE before you fire it up again !!!!! :eek:

LMAO, That's how I chase all the mosquitos & no see ums out of my garage. :lol:

bigredhead
08-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Well.. i agree and can confirm that it does work quite well !!!! lol...

MTS
08-13-2005, 01:04 AM
below 100 and your screwed, anything above that is pretty fine and operanional nothing to worry about ;)