PDA

View Full Version : Whats this noise?

freewheel3
08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
On a few of my trikes (both Yamaha & Hondas), occasionally when I shut them off, I hear a noise like something is still rotating for 5-10 seconds & then it stops with a very light clunk. I don't hear it on all my machines, just a few of them. Any ideas what it would be?

bigredhead
08-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Kinda like when i hit the electric start and it don't start.. i get a wrrrrrrrr... click.

like that ?

freewheel3
08-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Nope, it sounds more like maybe something in either the clutch or pull starter assy. I hear a low growling sound that gradually gets slower & quieter until it stops with a light clunk that you can feel when you are sitting on the trike.

BIGCRIP28
08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
yep i know what your talking about, i hear it sometimes on the 185.
i have no idea what it is.
i think it may be the centrifugal clutch slowing down then stopping.

hotroddal
08-12-2005, 03:53 PM
yes, i know the noise your talking about also, my old honda 200 did that, i think it was something in the rewind, but i could never figure it out, but it never heart anything so i never really looked into it very carefully.

freewheel3
08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, it's most noticeable (sp?) on my honda 200. Also, on this trike, occasionally when you are coasting down hill, it starts to freewheel like you put it in neutral or disengaged the clutch. Blip the throttle once & she kicks back into gear. Maybe it's the oneway clutch or something. Been this way for years & not getting any worse so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I'm curious what it is though.

nimda78
08-12-2005, 06:02 PM
i hear that on my ytm. i never even thought about those clutch pucks still rotating. i was thinking the oil filter has prolly never been changed, and back pressure was pissing by.

not to jack anyones post, us the oils thing i mentioned possible?

bigb9582
08-12-2005, 09:17 PM
my 250sx does this also. it also does the puting it in neutral feel when going own hills until i hit the gas again. but it doesnt do it all time.

wheelie king
08-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Clutches, maybe? I don't know. None of mine do that. :D

Nimda- The cause you mentioned is VERY unlikely. However, I feel obligated to tell you to, Change the oil filter, man! It's cheap and easy. Your engine will love you!

MTS
08-12-2005, 10:07 PM
the shoe's in the centrif clutch are worn out or the housing around them.

brendan802
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
It is the centrif clutch rotating after you shut her down. Almost all of the honda 200 motors I've had did that every now and again. I beleive the clutch weights are still outward from the rpm's and slowly return to their normal positions.

nimda78
08-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Nimda- The cause you mentioned is VERY unlikely. However, I feel obligated to tell you to, Change the oil filter, man! It's cheap and easy. Your engine will love you!

oh man i know!! im looking at an EMGO oil filter on mfgsupply.com (great peepz BTW),right now..only 7.00.... the plus side for my motor is i am strickly forbidden to ride in my 'hood..the owner phoned me directly, and threatened a 10 eviction notice if i did so. i havent ran it an hour since i got it. the sound i hear is a hissing sound, thats what i suspected oil being slowly pressed/boiled??!! in there. i dont actually belive thats what the sound is, it was just a thought that crossed my mind. looking for feedback from this crew. with the probability of it not being in the oil filter, its prolly just the aluminium cooling, cause i only hear it right after shut down. and the only riding ive gotten to do is in crammped woods, in first gear only... :cry: little airflow, and admittedly unnessasary high RPM's to catwalk over logs and umps rocks..whatever else i can find. :TrikesOwn

2strokepwer
08-12-2005, 11:18 PM
is the oneway bearing? :wondering

freewheel3
08-12-2005, 11:48 PM
oh man i know!! im looking at an EMGO oil filter on mfgsupply.com (great peepz BTW),right now..only 7.00.... the plus side for my motor is i am strickly forbidden to ride in my 'hood..the owner phoned me directly, and threatened a 10 eviction notice if i did so. i havent ran it an hour since i got it. the sound i hear is a hissing sound, thats what i suspected oil being slowly pressed/boiled??!! in there. i dont actually belive thats what the sound is, it was just a thought that crossed my mind. looking for feedback from this crew. with the probability of it not being in the oil filter, its prolly just the aluminium cooling, cause i only hear it right after shut down. and the only riding ive gotten to do is in crammped woods, in first gear only... :cry: little airflow, and admittedly unnessasary high RPM's to catwalk over logs and umps rocks..whatever else i can find. :TrikesOwn
Pull the filter & clean it with solvent. You don't have to replace it unless it has holes or some other kind of damage. They are a real fine brass screen, not a paper element. I noticed the EMGO filters aren't as fine of screen as the OEM ones, so they probably don't catch the smaller bits of foreign material.