PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x coil?

willcamach
08-12-2005, 01:18 AM
ok heres my question ive got an 84 200x it has a fresh piston valves camshaft so the top end is basically all new now the trike will start up just fine and runs like a champ at the beginig of the day whenever we take it out. then after running for maybe an hour or two it seems impossible to start . im talking 30+ kicks with no signs of life. sometimes we can get it to bump start but at times that wont even work. i know that its getting gas. could this be the coil. ive heard that older coils can get fussy after they warm up but dont want to donate $60.00 to service honda for a part i dont need.

willcamach
08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
no comments ot thoughts?

Howdy
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Have you checked the exciter coil ( part of the stator ). It's possible this part is going bad and causing the problem. A quick search of the forums here should help locate the info to check it.
Howdy

83185s
08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
my friends did that...we always had to let it cool down or push start it...never did figure out the problem

willcamach
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
yeah its a pain in the ***** when i does this cause im scared to really take it on any lengthy ride. i kinda just hang around the truck when ever we go out unless we take a tow strap with us but thats a real pain.

TeamGeek6
08-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Extend the wires on the coil and then run the engine till it gets hot (move the coil away from the engine heat) The coil makes no heat of its own. Id have to lean towards what Howdy said, bad pulse coil or stator (they get hot) or bad wiring.

willcamach
08-14-2005, 04:29 PM
i was just talking to a guy down at the local dealer about this problem and he mentioned that the valves probably need adjustment ive just gotten the top end redone and have run maybe 2 1/2 tanks through the machine but not all at one time because as i mentioned she starts acting up after a bit of riding. could this also be possible. this is so frustrating because i have no idea how to diagnose the problems this trike has and seems like there are so many different things that can cause the same problems... man being new to all of this sucks sometimes :)

TeamGeek6
08-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Put a timing light on teh spark plug and see if it blinks when it becomes hard to start.
Not likely valves, but they can tighten up and leak when hot, the thing there is to check the clearance while hot.

Dealers always say its some easy job to charge for. They know nothing about electrics so its always a mechanical problem. :crazy: