PDA

View Full Version : Much like John Natalie Jr......

Derrick Adams
08-10-2005, 10:14 PM
I've decided to make the switch from Yamaha to Honda.

On top of the 500R project nearing completion, I recently aquired an 85 250R, which is set to replace the trusty Tri-Z.

Being as parts are a little trickier to find for the Z and I seem to be just "too big" for the thing, I figure it best if I just build a suitable replacement for it to race and trail ride on.

Some of the down falls I've found on my Z are:

Lack of 6 forward gears, which for me has been a big problem. I have never really found gearing that has suited me with this bike.

Lack of good suspension. This is mainly my fault, but some from a design stand point. I never really put any money into good suspension on my bike, but I think that it really won't help me much. This bike was never designed for a 250lb rider to MX. PERIOD! Now I suppose I could invest some cash into it and get it better, but the bottom line is, it's just throwing cash away.

Weak foot pegs. It seems that every Tri-Z I have seen has droopy pegs. Mine are no different, probably worse!

Lack of aftermarket support. I still maintain that the Tri-Z just needs a good pipe! No-one makes one, or maybe even ever did, that is much better than stock. Plus, I've thrown every trick at it that i'm capable of just to get it producing decent power. (Not fantastic, like I had hoped for)

In a nut shell, it just doesn't make much sense to continue with the Z when the R has better power potential, better suspension geometry, better resale value, and better aftermarket support.

With that said, I have started gathering components for a long travel suspension conversion for the 250R.

The Z is still in GREAT condition, if anyone is interested. It's not really for sale, but i'll entertain offers.

chris200x
08-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Who's John Natalie jr.?

About time you came to your senses. :Bounce

Dynofox
08-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Who's John Natalie jr.?

About time you came to your senses. :Bounce

He is one of the top pro GNC MX racers who switched from a yfz 450 to a 450r.

ZRacer94
08-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Ill agree with all you said except better power potential. If you mean a normal 250 running gas without some drag pipe and other crazy stuff, the honda boys got some people brainwashed there imho. but good luck to you.

so-cal
08-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Did you try several pipes on your bike or ride other peoples, how much did the power valve wake it up? I have a 86R and a 85 tri-z with a dg pipe but I have not ridden the yamaha yet or a tri-z whith a stock pipe

brapp
08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
john natallie jr this is his bike before he rode it lolhttp://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/yamaha-raptor0-03-bikepics-341177.jpg

and thisa one was mine befor ei went to my fo fiddy rrrrrrrr

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/yamaha-raptor0-03-bikepics-341133.jpg

and the 450r i ride now! all black!

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/honda-trx450-05-bikepics-403194.jpg

250r'en +TCB
08-11-2005, 01:13 PM
welcome to the honda gang! I have alwats owned honda products and have never been disapointed! They seem to build things right ALL the time. Not 2/3 of the time like yamaha......aka the blaster....
you'll be happy with your R, I sure as heck am!

Yamahauler
08-11-2005, 01:23 PM
welcome to the honda gang! I have alwats owned honda products and have never been disapointed! They seem to build things right ALL the time. Not 2/3 of the time like yamaha......aka the blaster....
you'll be happy with your R, I sure as heck am!
If you've never owned anything but a Honda, how do you know what Yamaha's are like? Can you honestly say you've rode every Yamaha bike and every Honda one, and compared them to find Honda as the better one?
Have you even rode a Tri-Z?

Darius1502
08-11-2005, 02:51 PM
The R is ok...its not all it cracked up to be. Trust me the parts issue on the Tri Z's can be a problem...but if they are both running good you would be surprised how good the Tri Z is.

Second, I don't see how you are too big for a Z, since the R is alot more cramped.

Good luck...both are great trikes!!

OldSchoolin86
08-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I don't see how you are too big for a Z, since the R is alot more cramped.
Agreed, the Z feels bigger to me. They are both great machines so what ever you go with I'm sure you'll do well.

1984kxtTECATE
08-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I have noticed the same thing with the Z, im gonna end up sellin it and gettin a trx 250r more potential. I admit the Z is comfortable but I like the Tecate more, it just seems to fit my build perfectly, and since i got more money in the Tecate than the Z and the Tecate has no probelm pullin all 5 gears in the sand, i just cant see keepin the Z. This will be later next year though.

wheelie king
08-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I got both (sig), and for quads, actually prefer Suzuki. I am not a "one brand" loyal guy. I ride whatever suits me and my style at the time. Good luck with your transition.

brapp
08-11-2005, 11:06 PM
i pplan to one day own at least one of every hi performance atv made. all i need now is a cagive the 250 tiger is the best feeling of all btu i dont liek the stretche dout feeling of the z ove rthe triangle feeling of the r and th etecate the front end feels too long and the rear too short.

chris200x
08-11-2005, 11:15 PM
i pplan to one day own at least one of every hi performance atv made. all i need now is a cagive the 250 tiger is the best feeling of all btu i dont liek the stretche dout feeling of the z ove rthe triangle feeling of the r and th etecate the front end feels too long and the rear too short.

Dude slow down when your typing :lol: Yuo got a tiger huh? you can bring that for me to ride when you come over! :eek: