PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200S resto story and pix

mx600
08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Huffa started another thread a couple days back about this, but I thought I would put all the pix I've got into 1 thread.

We got this in January from Ebay. It didn't run, had no spark, and was rusty and corroded all over, but relatively complete.

The spark problem was traced to worn cam journals that caused too large of a gap at the pulse generator. The head was beyond repair, so back to ebay to find one. I eventually bought a complete TRX200 head for it. I have no idea of the performance differences between a TRX cam and a ATC200S cam, but everything bolted up like stock so I was happy. Plus, I got a manual decomp rather than using the troublesome auto decomp.

While the head was off and the engine out of the frame, we had the cylinder bored .020" over and a new top end kit was installed.

In the meantime, the frame was being repaired. The back section where the skid plate attaches had rusted out from years of neglect, so new gusset plates were fabricated and welded into place, and the whole frame was prepped and painted. The paint is Rustoleum Hammered Black.

Also in that time, the tank was tended to. There was a large dent in the left side that was removed, and the paint was stripped. A red color from Rusoleum was used, and it pretty much matches perfectly. I've always been a Honda guy, and the old school honda wing really means something to me, so I bought a set for the tank and applied them.

The trike needed new tires, and I was determined to buy a package deal of tires and rims because I felt it was a better deal. I was lucky enough to find almost brand new Maxxis All-Traks mounted on 250R rims on ebay for $100 (which included shipping). The problem now was the the bolt pattern was different, so I also picked up some 400EX hubs from ebay, powder coated blue.

While I was playing around with getting new parts and painting the frame and tank, Huffa was busy cleaning/polishing/painting everything in sight. Even the bolts were given the wire wheel treatment to remove the rust.

Finally, after all the months of waiting and looking at the frame and tank, Huffa and I got together to reassemble it. In about 4 hours we had it in running condition, which is pretty much as it is in the final pictures. It still needs some details pieces, like headlight/taillight, exhaust needs to be painted, I want new bars/grips and a twist throttle.

Here are some BEFORE pictures.

mx600
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Some more BEFORE pix

mx600
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Now the cleanup. Huffa did most of this, polishing and painting everything.

mx600
08-10-2005, 10:54 AM
More cleanup.

mx600
08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Finally some pics of it all assembled and ready to ride. Ignore the vicegrip shifter...Huffa forgot to give that to me when I brought it home, and a guy's gotta be able to shift, right??

mx600
08-10-2005, 11:02 AM
The future holds:

New bars and grips.
High powered headlight (not stock).
400EX tailight
Red seat cover

Maybe a towhitch and racks for around the yard? I'd also like to retro fit a 200e starter assembly onto it. I know just the guy with a donor engine too!

Anyone know how to make that front of the seat sit flush with the tank? That really bugs me.

Maine_Triker
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
You guys did a nice job. Congrats.

Darius1502
08-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Looks great....you should be proud.

chris200x
08-10-2005, 03:32 PM
You gotta heat the seat pan up and bend it a little. It came out very nice! Good job guys.

Maybe I should of left my trike down there for 6 months too! :TrikesOwn

bigredhead
08-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Takes up alot of time don't it !!!..... lol..... just went thru some of that fun stuff on my SX and i only worked on the back end.... took me all week !.. jeez.

Nice job.. keep it up.. another 1000 $ and sleepless nights that thing will look better than new ! !

mx600
08-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Nice job.. keep it up.. another 1000 $ and sleepless nights that thing will look better than new ! !

You're out of your mind, man! When we got this, all I wanted was to get it running and put new tires on it. I didn't care about the looks. But Huffa is really into details and wants everything just right. So he kept the thing at his house and wouldn't let me have it until I coughed up the money and parts to make it right. It was being held hostage!

But, it did turn out nice and I'm happy with it. Now I just have to keep going or he'll get upset and take it away again!

Meat-BoX
08-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Put that on the Restoration Page for all to see as long as this site is around. It will dissapear within a week where it is now. I need to finish my Tecate Restoration Story for that Page. Im slacking and every time I think im done I buy something else or it has something wrong with it. Need to install Clutch and the rear Shock need rebuilding again. :(

After that I will strut my stuff on the Restoration page. :TrikesOwn :beer

mx600
08-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Put that on the Restoration Page for all to see as long as this site is around. It will dissapear within a week where it is now. I need to finish my Tecate Restoration Story for that Page. Im slacking and every time I think im done I buy something else or it has something wrong with it. Need to install Clutch and the rear Shock need rebuilding again. :(

After that I will strut my stuff on the Restoration page. :TrikesOwn :beer

Where do I find this Restoration page and how do I put it on? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just looked around quick and didn't see anything.

Huffa
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Where do I find this Restoration page and how do I put it on? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I just looked around quick and didn't see anything.

Right here : http://www.3wheelerworld.com/ ...........then look to right under the Technical, you'll see it under that.

Hey the 200 looks nice but one thing that bugs :wondering me, why the heck did you put the tank decal so low ? It's supposed to be up higher!! Maybe you like it that way but I think it looks odd.

Now that I look again it was probably due to the "bend" in your tank but I still think it would have stuck?

Guess you'll have to just bring it down to my place again :lol:

Also (if you didn't already) check out the picture pages. Nice for finding the years of different trikes.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/y01MainPicturePage.shtml

Orangecnty250r
08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I live for before and after pics... Nice work guys!!!

bigredhead
08-10-2005, 07:26 PM
You're out of your mind, man! !

Uhm... as a matter of fact... . Yeah ! :lol: You should see where i work !!! :crazy:

mx600
08-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Hey the 200 looks nice but one thing that bugs :wondering me, why the heck did you put the tank decal so low ? It's supposed to be up higher!! Maybe you like it that way but I think it looks odd.

Now that I look again it was probably due to the "bend" in your tank but I still think it would have stuck?

Don't get confused by the picture....it also looks like the decal is too far back. But because of the bends in the tank the decals look great right where they are, in person. I took a very long time to locate them, so I think they are just where they should be. The pictures just don't do it justice because you can't see the actual bends and depth of the tank.

nimda78
08-11-2005, 11:41 AM
wow that was some kind of POS when you got it, but i must say shes looking clean and mean now. great work fellas!! a honda200 was my first trike, great to see it back to its former glory plus some. a trailer hitch and rack would be the finishing touches on that bike. love the pics too

james

chris200x
08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey! what's up with that pipe? where's the cobra?

mx600
08-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey! what's up with that pipe? where's the cobra?

I didn't want to put the cobra on because of the noise. My neighbors have a horse farm and I've gotten a lot of dirty looks in the past riding my motocross bike, so I'm trying to be the nice guy. It runs great with the stocker on though, so I'm pretty excited about how it might run with the cobra. I'll give that a try this weekend.

Huffa
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
wow that was some kind of POS when you got it, but i must say shes looking clean and mean now. great work fellas!! a honda200 was my first trike, great to see it back to its former glory plus some. a trailer hitch and rack would be the finishing touches on that bike. love the pics too

james

It very well, by all means,could have been a parts trike only. I learned don't trust anyone on ebay that only shows one picture as he didn't mention any thing about rust at all,.........the IDIOT!!! :twisted:

All and all it came out really nice though and felt it was my duty to do most the work since I'm the one that talked 600 into buying it. I hope he carries through now and finishes up the project or like he said, I'll steal it back sometime :naughty:

Huffa
08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
I didn't want to put the cobra on because of the noise. My neighbors have a horse farm and I've gotten a lot of dirty looks in the past riding my motocross bike, so I'm trying to be the nice guy. It runs great with the stocker on though, so I'm pretty excited about how it might run with the cobra. I'll give that a try this weekend.

Touch the cobra up some and sell it on ebay if you don't want it. I'd say it should fetch around 70 bucks or so.

BTW ...........those All Traks look darn good on that!! Get the mud flaps and that will set the red off nicely.

bigredhead
08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't think the cobra gives enough power to be worth the noise it makes.... stick with stock.

Phil@Sweden
08-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Where can i find this part (whats the name for it)? :wondering

For an Honda ATC 200S -84

Thanx!

chris200x
08-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Where can i find this part (whats the name for it)? :wondering

For an Honda ATC 200S -84

Thanx!

That would be your stator... The coil (white) is the one that goes bad. Unless the wire is fudged up (check ebay or post in the classifieds)) you can get that coil on www.hyperparts.com.

So Brian if I ever do get my trike running are you and huffa gonna come up riding? Or do you guys have a plan to go to one of these atv parks or what? :crazy:

edog
08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Looks real good.Nice job guys.

mx600
08-17-2005, 09:33 AM
So Brian if I ever do get my trike running are you and huffa gonna come up riding? Or do you guys have a plan to go to one of these atv parks or what? :crazy:

Gary's been away for a while and for some reason he sounds like he's not that interested in actually riding. I'm up for it though. Either around your place or mine, we can find somewhere to ride.

chris200x
08-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Ya, brapp's been buggin to come to Hazleton to ride also. I just gott figure this darn carb out and I should be good to go. Should,t be that much longer... :rolleyes:

Is huffa OK? I haven't even been gettin no emails from him. Where the heck could he be? Still waitin for my headlight and coil he has for me. :(

mx600
08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Ya, brapp's been buggin to come to Hazleton to ride also. I just gott figure this darn carb out and I should be good to go. Should,t be that much longer... :rolleyes:

Is huffa OK? I haven't even been gettin no emails from him. Where the heck could he be? Still waitin for my headlight and coil he has for me. :(

Huffa went to Maine for a week or two. I think he enjoys working on the 3wheelers more than actually riding them.

To keep this on topic....I just ordered a new seat cover and should have that on soon. But I also busted up my rear fender where there was a small crack. Now I either need a new fender or figure out how to weld plastic. I'm going to try welding it first and see where that gets me. Overall I'm really happy with the machine. The only thing that bugs me is the lack of rear suspension. I may have to trade up to a fully suspended one in the future, but for now this will do fine.

I'll put up some more pictures when I get the seat cover on. I should have a headlight on by then too.

chris200x
08-17-2005, 10:50 AM
http://www.maier-mfg.com/shop.cfm?action=list&page=list.cfm&criteria=101&makeid=10&modelid=149

Here's everything you need.

From what I remember your rear fender only had 1 small crack it in... Did you bust it up more? You could probably find them cheaper on ebay though.

I never tried the welding thing... Maybe find a scrap peice of fender and melt it into the crack? I dunno. Or you can always just frankinstien it with some drill holes and some wire. :rolleyes:

nouseforaname90
08-17-2005, 10:57 AM
www.hyperparts.com has plastic (and alot of other parts) for 3 wheelers cheaper than I've ever seen it anywhere else. Its $102 for a rear fender for an SX.. where everyone else wants $140 or so.

mx600
08-17-2005, 11:02 AM
From what I remember your rear fender only had 1 small crack it in... Did you bust it up more? You could probably find them cheaper on ebay though.

yeah, I busted it up pretty bad. I lost a 2" square of plastic and the crack is about 10" long now. I had most of my weight on it while I was running figure 8's in the back field trying to rip up the grass. Oh well...I'm not too upset by it. I just don't want to sink a lot more money into this, so I'm keeping an eye on Ebay.

Anyone know what the electrical system is? 6 or 12 volt? I'm looking at lights (not stock) and need to know what type to get.