PDA

View Full Version : Sweden calling!

Phil@Sweden
08-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi!
I think im lucky. Yesterday i got my hands on a KXT250 Tecate. I donīt think there is too many left of these in Sweden. What i heard from the owner this was 1 of 4 Tecates that was imported in 1990. There was only one owner of this Tecate and he had put it away in a barn for over 10 years!

I even got the registration paper, it says 1988. But on the bikes label it says 1987.

Everyting is absolutely original, and all is fine...or more then fine! All plastic are nice, tires are good - nothing is missing...Itīs a bit dirty right now, but i can see that i looks nice under the dirt.

Now to the problem - the pistion and cylinder are broke...bad!

What do you guys recommend? Try to buy a new OEM cylinder or try to repair the old one? I also found some information that a cylinder from an 83/84 KX250 could work? Anybody who knows?

If new OEM - should i buy it from http://www.bikebandit.com?

I will try to post some "before" pictures here...Stay tuned for the "after" pics

I found this forum very helpful - great to be here!
Phil@Sweden
btw i also own a Honda ATC110 79/80 (for 20 years now)

http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/1.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/2.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/3.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/8.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/9.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/12.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/14.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/15.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/KXT250/16.jpg

Billy Golightly
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Ouch! You werent kidding about that cylinder being broken bad. Normally when that happens you can get a new sleeve (The part thats broken) instead of a whole new cylinder from a company like LA Sleeve. Thats probably the best route. The only thing is that the Tecates had a Nikasil cylinder coating stock (Similar to a hard chrome). I dont believe you can get an aftermarket sleeve with the nikasil coating. Some people say that this causes the engine to heat up more then the original with the coating. I personally dont have any experience in this particular area but there are alot of Tecate gurus here on the forum and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. One out of 4 for an entire country is a pretty rare machine! Take good care of it, and welcome to the 3WW forums.

Maine_Triker
08-09-2005, 11:30 AM
OMG man that is nice!!!
Clean her up and she will look absolutly stunning!

How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

She's definitly as nice one to have, esspecially since there are only a few in Sweden!

Welcome to the boards man!

Phil

Phil@Sweden
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
OMG man that is nice!!!
Clean her up and she will look absolutly stunning!

How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

She's definitly as nice one to have, esspecially since there are only a few in Sweden!

Welcome to the boards man!

Phil

Hi & Thanx!
I paid about 500$, i think thats okey. I donīt know how much i have to spend on the cylinder and pision.

LonesomeTriZ
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Very nice machine indeed. :welcome:

Is the jug itself broken, or just the sleeve? If the sleeve is busted but the jug is fine it is an easy fix. If the jug is busted take it to a machine shop that can repair aluminum. I had a busted Tri-Z jug that was repeaired and made stronger than it was stock.

nouseforaname90
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
$500? Wow. Thats less than I paid for my SX. Very nice score! Welcome to the forums!

Phil@Sweden
08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Very nice machine indeed. :welcome:

Is the jug itself broken, or just the sleeve? If the sleeve is busted but the jug is fine it is an easy fix. If the jug is busted take it to a machine shop that can repair aluminum. I had a busted Tri-Z jug that was repeaired and made stronger than it was stock.

Just the sleeve...

Here is a better picture of the cylinder:

http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/17.jpg

LonesomeTriZ
08-09-2005, 12:15 PM
You have no worries then. Have a new sleeve installed and get a piston kit and you are done. :Bounce

Billy Golightly
08-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I'd go through the bottom end and make sure none of those peices of the sleeve and piston did any damage to the crank or the cases internally before you put it all back together :)

LonesomeTriZ
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I'd go through the bottom end and make sure none of those peices of the sleeve and piston did any damage to the crank or the cases internally before you put it all back together :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part. :rolleyes:

Jeb
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
For future reference, note that an 85/86 KX250 cylinder is what you would need for an 86/87 KXT250. 83/84 KX250 cylinders will go on 84/85 KXT250's and are quite different from your 87.

Great score, by the way and welcome! :w00t:

Tecate's came from the factory with no sleeve. they are a plated, one piece cylinder. If that cylinder has a sleeve, it was bored and sleeved sometime in the past and you're good to go for a new sleeve. If not, the cylinder is junk unless you have it bored and sleeved at this time. From the pics, it looks factory to me.

nimda78
08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
is that year tag right?? made in USA. i thought they were all made in japan?
in any case, thats a hella nice trike, and a bitchin price!!
'cates are pretty rare even in the states.
welcome aboard

james

Phil@Sweden
08-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Thanx, will do!

Phil@Sweden
08-09-2005, 02:10 PM
For future reference, note that an 85/86 KX250 cylinder is what you would need for an 86/87 KXT250. 83/84 KX250 cylinders will go on 84/85 KXT250's and are quite different from your 87.

Great score, by the way and welcome! :w00t:

Tecate's came from the factory with no sleeve. they are a plated, one piece cylinder. If that cylinder has a sleeve, it was bored and sleeved sometime in the past and you're good to go for a new sleeve. If not, the cylinder is junk unless you have it bored and sleeved at this time. From the pics, it looks factory to me.

Thanks Jeb! I might need a new cylinder after all...I think you are right, it looks like factory. And as HondaATC said, if itīs factory, itīs a Nikasil cylinder - and i canīt bore that one - right?

Is the 85/86 KX250 exactly the same? Is it bad to replace with a KX250 cylinder? Maybe itīs better to go for the OEM cylinder i found on Bikebandit.com? More expensive, but still...I would like to keep her so original as possible. :)

Phil@Sweden
08-09-2005, 02:16 PM
is that year tag right?? made in USA. i thought they were all made in japan?
in any case, thats a hella nice trike, and a bitchin price!!
'cates are pretty rare even in the states.
welcome aboard

james

Thanx James! I think the year tag is right...everything else on the bike seem to be original. The registration paper says 1988, but the bikes label says 1987. :wondering

nimda78
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
admittedly, i dont know much about tecates, ive never seen one in person.
i have learned a bit here, and particularly from this post.
great pix too, we all like to see what everyone elses got

darrel632
08-09-2005, 03:46 PM
If you don't mind sleeving to 225 that can be done, one I sold last year was sleeved, polished, and ported, ran great, used the same crank and rod, just a smaller piston with the sleeve, ran alot cooler when it was finished.

Wickedfinger
08-09-2005, 10:36 PM
I noticed that too about the tag saying it was made in the USA - I had no idea.

Orangecnty250r
08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Welcome!!!!This tecate is awesome !!! Even though the motor is toasted a little (easy fixes) This Tecate has Relatively low hours (you can just see it) and alot of original parts that are very hard to come by:::

Stock silencer
Stock toolbox
Stock chain and disc guards
Stock grab bar
Nice stock front/rear tires
Nice coolant bottle without the typical exhaust scars
Rims dont look dinged (87 rims are different and unique-- even compared to the 86 rims

Also
I see the factory black key decal on the white head light decal., I see a nice fork decal.

Question do you have a factory shift decal on your fuel tank???? If you do could you post a picture --Thats one of the last ones I have to track down for tecate decal reproductions.

That tecate is was a bargain for you and when fixed is a very sought after machine. Congrats you lucky dog !!!! Hold onto this one for sure

Phil@Sweden
08-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Welcome!!!!This tecate is awesome !!! Even though the motor is toasted a little (easy fixes) This Tecate has Relatively low hours (you can just see it) and alot of original parts that are very hard to come by:::

Stock silencer
Stock toolbox
Stock chain and disc guards
Stock grab bar
Nice stock front/rear tires
Nice coolant bottle without the typical exhaust scars
Rims dont look dinged (87 rims are different and unique-- even compared to the 86 rims

Also
I see the factory black key decal on the white head light decal., I see a nice fork decal.

Question do you have a factory shift decal on your fuel tank???? If you do could you post a picture --Thats one of the last ones I have to track down for tecate decal reproductions.

That tecate is was a bargain for you and when fixed is a very sought after machine. Congrats you lucky dog !!!! Hold onto this one for sure

Thanks!!!
I really donīt know so much about Tecates...yet...but i have read some of your threads and understad that you must be an expert on these babys.

I understand that itīs hard to find some parts...I guess iīm a lucky dog :lol:

Sorry, the shift decal on the fuel tank is gone...Just fragments left...

About the cylinder, what should i do? Replace with a KX250 cylinder, or go for the OEM cylinder i found on Bikebandit.com?

Orangecnty250r
08-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Darn thought I was going to luck out on that shift decal.

I dont know about an expert on tecates but Ive certainly gained some very good hands on experience this year breaking my 86 down and canvasing the country for rare parts.
I ended up finding all the OEM parts I needed and even found a fairly complete 1987 T3 for myself. My 87 is missing the chain guards.

If you have the ability to resleeve I would , Jeb really knows his tecate stuff- You definetly have options and having options is good. Cylinders also pop up on ebay from time time. Good luck

SpeedBump
08-10-2005, 06:42 AM
www.tecateconnection.com www.kawieriders.com Check with Corey Sprock, aka Magoo and/or KingOfKawies. Lots of good info and good prices on parts and services. Not sure why, but can't see any pics right now. I am on a spare PC, as mine is smoked at this time. From others words, I guess you got a sweet ride. Good luck with it and welcome.

hrc85250r
08-10-2005, 08:07 AM
ok, hold on.....from the factory they are saying that your cylinder has no sleeve from the factory and it is just nikasil plated....what you need to do is send you cylinder somewhere and have it resleeved, then re-nikasil plated...you can plate sleeves...

Phil@Sweden
08-10-2005, 03:09 PM
ok, hold on.....from the factory they are saying that your cylinder has no sleeve from the factory and it is just nikasil plated....what you need to do is send you cylinder somewhere and have it resleeved, then re-nikasil plated...you can plate sleeves...

DONE! I sent the cylinder to a Racing company today, they said that it would cost about 150-200$ to fix - no matter what it looked like. I will get it back in 10-14 days. I donīt know yet if they can help me with a new piston...

hrc85250r
08-10-2005, 10:35 PM
just order it directly from wiseco...they have an international orders number i think, its on the back of the catalog...

Phil@Sweden
08-11-2005, 05:29 AM
just order it directly from wiseco...they have an international orders number i think, its on the back of the catalog...

Okey, thanx! Does anybody know Wisecos part nr for (Tecate 1987):
PISTON,STD
PIN-PISTON
RING-SET-PISTON
BEARING-SMALL END
CIRCLIP-PISTON PIN

Rex Karz
08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
I see tecate cylinders all day on ebay......

Phil@Sweden
08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Now i have cleaned her up - i think she looks pretty good.

How many hours do you guys think she is used? Everything is still original from -87. No new parts, plastic, paint, tires - nothing!

The only thing iīm waitng for now is to get back the cylinder (with new Nicasil) and a new piston. I want it now!!!! :Bounce

http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w1.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w2.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w3.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w4.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w5.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w6.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w7.jpg
http://www.saltskog.com/kxt250/washed/w9.jpg

Rex Karz
08-12-2005, 05:26 PM
That thing looks awfully clean !

Orangecnty250r
08-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Looks Great !!!!. 87 Tecates are around but rare here in the states so once again hold onto that baby.

I tried to reach into the computer montitor to grab your resevoir coolant bottle but it didnt work.

Maine_Triker
08-12-2005, 07:34 PM
OOPS.... I'm drooling again.

DANG IT MAN THAT IS NICE!

Quickonstep
08-13-2005, 02:24 AM
that thing has hardly ANY time on it.. the telltale sign? the frame next to the pegs, its bearly rubbed through..

christ guy, you literally found one in a million bikes.. that thing is gonna be immaculant.. !

Jesse

225dx
08-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Out of the 4 Tecates in Sweden Im almost positive that you've got the best. Great find, take care of her. :TrikesOwn

Jeb
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Absolutely beautiful Tecate! :beer

Glad you are getting your cylinder fixed. I also agree that Corey Sprock is a great person to talk to about Tecate engine performance mods.

I can't say for 100% that the 85/86 KX250 cylinder and 86/87 KXT cylinder are exactly the same. There might be minor porting differences. They are virtually identicle any way. I think they tuned the KXT down from the KX with a more restrictive exhaust, smaller carb, and a thicker head gasket. I do know the 83/84 KX250 had more aggressive porting than the 84/85 KXT250 motors.

Phil@Sweden
08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Out of the 4 Tecates in Sweden Im almost positive that you've got the best. Great find, take care of her. :TrikesOwn

Thanx! I will take care of her :D

Phil@Sweden
08-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Absolutely beautiful Tecate! :beer

Glad you are getting your cylinder fixed. I also agree that Corey Sprock is a great person to talk to about Tecate engine performance mods.

I can't say for 100% that the 85/86 KX250 cylinder and 86/87 KXT cylinder are exactly the same. There might be minor porting differences. They are virtually identicle any way. I think they tuned the KXT down from the KX with a more restrictive exhaust, smaller carb, and a thicker head gasket. I do know the 83/84 KX250 had more aggressive porting than the 84/85 KXT250 motors.

Thanx Jeb!
I hope my cylinder will be here soon - canīt wait to start her up! :TrikesOwn

Phil@Sweden
10-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Now itīs almost back together!

I hade a lot of problems with this project. When i got the cylinder and new piston back it didnt fit (the piston would go to high in the cylinder head). I had to put 2 more cylinder base gaskets. Now thatīs okey...

When i should start her up the carb was flowing. I had to order and replace the valve-float. Okey now the carb was okey as well...

When i try to start her up now - nothing! The spark plug i wet, but i have a weak spark (only 3 times out of 10 kicks). I think i have checked everyting, wires, ground, replaced spark, flywheel key....

Now i think i have a bad CDI?...Or do you guys have any other ideas?
Where can i buy a new CDI for a Tecate -87?

Please help! :Bounce

petesatc
10-26-2005, 08:04 AM
hey Phil
more likely the ignition coil or that's what i would look at first....
pete

Phil@Sweden
10-26-2005, 08:10 AM
hey Phil
more likely the ignition coil or that's what i would look at first....
pete

Thanks Pete!
Should i buy it from Bikebandit = 63$
Or is there a better place to buy a new ignition coil?

Howdy
10-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Phil,
The Tecate's are known to blow stators. And I know this first hand. I have owned 3 and 2 of those had bad stators. So before buying anything I would run some test to be sure your buying the needed part. Do you have a manual for your machine? If not maybe some one here can get you the info to test different items and find your problem part. ;)
Howdy

petesatc
10-26-2005, 08:22 AM
hey Phil
you need to test the coil using a muti- meter (resistance)and like Howdy said it could also be the stator (common fault) you can test this also with muti-meter...have you got a tecate workshop manual??? if not someone here can give you the numbers you need to check them out.....
thanks
Pete

Phil@Sweden
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys.

I have the "All Terrain Vehicle 1974-1987" (Clymer) manual. There is some info about my T3. I will check this asap. :Bounce

Rm250RF900R
10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
That thing is SWEET!

Darius1502
10-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Phil...it looks awesome. You are a lucky guy!!!

Let us know how awesome that top end is !!!

Phil@Sweden
01-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Okey, here we go again...Now i have replaced first the Ignition Coil and then the CDI. Now i have a spark, but only when i have put the spark plug electron to 0,3mm (should be 0,7-0,8mm). But hey, at least she starts now !!! :Bounce :Bounce

But sheīs not running so well...The power is not there. I think i have almost replaced everyting....Should i need to get a new Stator? Thatīs about the only thing i didnīt replace:wondering

I have tested the stator with a muti-meter and it looks okey. My Clymer manual says:
Black and Blue = 170-250 ohms
Black and White/Red =185-280 ohms
Blue and White/Red = 20-30 ohms
Are these numbers right?!

If not the Stator, what else could it be? If you guys think it is the Stator what and where should i buy? Is this good?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-KXT250-Tecate-3-NEW-Stator-Assembly_W0QQitemZ4600519030QQcategoryZ43976QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PLEASE HELP!:beer

OZQUAD44
02-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi there Phil@sweden, I'm "@" Australia and picked up an 87 Tecate just like yours a few years back. I had a problem with my Tecate and put a sleeve in the barrel. It now no longer has a nicasil bore but she still goes OK. One upside of resleeving the Barrel is that you can go to a larger piston as the rings/bore wear out, so you have a few oversize pistons to go in there before the sleeve becomes unusable. I over jetted it when i first put a cast sleeve so it wouldn't over-heat, but all that did was foul plugs. Now she runs standard jetting and I always put top quality (98RON plus) fuel into it. It still pings at High RPM but at least I get a full day ride out of it without fouling a plug.
My Tecate was made in the US like yours and had the same stickers. The only problem I have is that now the tank is fading and I don't know what to do to fix the problem.

OZQUAD44
02-05-2006, 02:38 AM
In my last reply I didn't notice that on page 4 you were talking about electrical problems, the bane of a Tecate owners life. On my bike I had the stator checked and it was fine, the problem was the coil. I did have the flywheel magnets reglued to the flywheel as the old glue had perished, (it was 18 years old so I wasn't too upset). But in my case the coil was the culprit, I could kick the thing until the cows came home and she wouldn't start. I'd check spark, fuel and compression and still no joy. As it worked out it was the coil breaking down under load. When you checked the spark in the open air all was good. As soon as the spark had to jump a gap under combustion chamber conditions it couldn't cut the mustard. Just like a stock banshee rider trying to race MX. It just wasn't happening. Now that Its got a new coil, va va voom......