PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x extended swingarm

hotroddal
08-04-2005, 11:29 PM
i have seen threads about extending the swingarm on a 200x, and now that I am planning on extending the one on my 85, i cant seem to find anythreads with pictures of a extended one, so all im asking is pictures of an extened swingarm for a 200x so i can see one up close.

200xadam
08-04-2005, 11:31 PM
ask jenn she has one im pretty sure. she is great at giving info and helping ya out * should contact her.

Derrick Adams
08-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Here's mine. Extended it 3".

Muddy200x
08-05-2005, 09:29 AM
heres a few pics of one that I did a while back.

jenndnn3
08-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Jenn has a westcoast one for her 200x. So it is not a homemade job. Derricks looks real good. Muddy's middle one looks great too. I have homemade ones done on stock 350x swingarm, looks alright, and a gorgeous one on my 250r. If you like I can post picts of those?.

Rex Karz
08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Derrick, why did you extend your 200x swingarm? Do you have a modded motor?

edog
08-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Must be a modded motor for that long swingarm.

Dammit!
08-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Must be a modded motor for that long swingarm.

I've ridden some 200x's that were modded to the moon. In fact I even rode a 200x that actually beat Curtis Sparks (owned and raced by a local pro racer in the mid 80's). That said, I have never ridden a 200x that I felt even remotely needed an extended swinger. I don't understand why people do it. I understand it for a 2-stroke to some extent (don't always agree with it) but not a 200x. Not even a 350x. Do you guys do that for looks? Do you typically do a lot of serious hill climbing? I don't even have one on my modded R and can't say I want one either. Maybe if I start duning a lot more I might eventually go that route but right now I don't have any inclination to do it. I know some people do it to keep the front end down but on a 200x? Hillclimbing, duning and serious drag racing are the only legitimate reasons I can think of (other than looks which of course is anyone's choice). They corner worse with them so they don't make sense for a trail bike or a mx racer.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I'm not bagging on anyone for doing it. Just wondering why so many people do it. Hope I didn't come off like a ****head. :welcome:

edog
08-05-2005, 07:56 PM
I was joking dude.

Dammit!
08-05-2005, 08:06 PM
I was joking dude.

My question still stands. :lol:

I don't know. I just get the feeling some people put those things on their trikes for the same reason some people put giant wings on their Accords. Just for show.

Disclaimer: nothing wrong with doing something just for show. :p

Rex Karz
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
My Tecates are practically unridable in the sand with the stock swingarms. The front end just will not stay down. Don't see the need for it on a 200X, though. Even in The Dunes.

Dammit!
08-05-2005, 08:19 PM
My Tecates are practically unridable in the sand with the stock swingarms. The front end will just not stay down. Don't see the need for it on a 200X, though. Even in The Dunes.

In the sand makes sense for a water pumper. I kind of like how the front end flies up unexpectedly in the sand though (I think I even have a video of it doing that). Maybe I'm just deranged. :crazy: ;)

I'm just confused by the number of trikes I see with them that don't seem to have a practical need for them.

Billy Golightly
08-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Whoa Derrick, whats up with that shock mount on yours? :wondering:

Muddy200x
08-06-2005, 10:04 AM
I've ridden some 200x's that were modded to the moon. In fact I even rode a 200x that actually beat Curtis Sparks (owned and raced by a local pro racer in the mid 80's). That said, I have never ridden a 200x that I felt even remotely needed an extended swinger. I don't understand why people do it. I understand it for a 2-stroke to some extent (don't always agree with it) but not a 200x. Not even a 350x. Do you guys do that for looks? Do you typically do a lot of serious hill climbing? I don't even have one on my modded R and can't say I want one either. Maybe if I start duning a lot more I might eventually go that route but right now I don't have any inclination to do it. I know some people do it to keep the front end down but on a 200x? Hillclimbing, duning and serious drag racing are the only legitimate reasons I can think of (other than looks which of course is anyone's choice). They corner worse with them so they don't make sense for a trail bike or a mx racer.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I'm not bagging on anyone for doing it. Just wondering why so many people do it. Hope I didn't come off like a ****head. :welcome:

When I first got my 200x it was because it was a good deal that I couldn't pass up. Sure I was a little too big for it but hey, It was a great deal. It felt like I made it top heavy and a little tippy but it was already too late, I can't sell it, Hell No I love my 200x. So, with that said, I decided that If I cant make myself fit the trike that I would make the trike fit me. So I pretty much extended everything on my 200x. It was a one thing led to another kinda thing, and an extended swingarm was a piece of the puzzle. I gained ground a lot of ground clearance from the mods that I have done to my 200x. and the extended swingarm helped a great deal with that. Really helps with the riding I do (big hills, big ruts and tons of RR track crossings) IMO, Honda should have made the swingarm on the 83-85 200x a little longer from the start. If for no other reason then just to get the tires a little farther away from the plastic. As far as "Just wondering why so many people do it" I don't really think that there's a lot of people doing it. It just seems that way. Because of the rarity of the piece. Ex. If someone gets a west coast swingarm for a 200x you can bet it's going on the trike weather it needs it or not, Why? because they are so hard to find and that rare part just made your 200x worth more $$$ The reason it seems like everyone is doing it is because the only way to prove you have one is to post a pic on the forum and you get to show off the new look at the same time. If an extended swingarm is the only mod that's done to a 200x the I would say that would be a "Looks over functionality kinda thing" But, If no one ever modified the looks of a 200x then everyone would be tired of seeing them. So, I guess any reason is a good reason.

Whoa Derrick, whats up with that shock mount on yours? :wondering

Derrick, Thats not real safe dood. I have one mount left if you want it let me know.

Dammit!
08-06-2005, 10:27 AM
A viable explanation. Makes sense. :beer

jenndnn3
08-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Dammit I do it for pure looks!! Its hot MAN! :lol: Even worse you should see these funky hubs I have on the R, make the swingarm look tiny! :Bounce

hotroddal
08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
im going to extend mine just for looks, i have no highperformance modifications to my 200x, besides a k&n filter and a DG exhaust sysyetm, but those really dont count as highpermormance,im planning on extending it 5 1/2 inches.

f22parts
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
heres a few pics of one that I did a while back.

Would you please or someone post some extended swing arm pis..

Grizzlypeg
05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought of doing it to mine, but I like the quick turning ability of the trike and wouldn't want to not be able to swing the rear end around fast. When I climb something steep, I hang my body out front over the handle bars to get the weight as far forward as possible.

f22parts
07-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I am going to extend my 84 200x swing-arm for ground clearance and looks along with wider hubs, theses two thing transforms the 200x into something different in my mind. It just looks correct this way to me. I also am putting a modded 200e engine with electric start on it.

nicker71
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I just got done doing a +5.5 on my x, its not very clean looking but very strong(i hope) I used another junk 200x swingarm and a doner to get more length since I couldnt find any steel that would match or incase the size honda used. I cut a section out of the old one 5.5 inches and cut my good one in half. Tacked it up and got it true and stright then I reinforced the hell out of it with some steel strips I had laying around at work. Im having a 350x shock built shortened to give the rear end more lift. I building a lifted atuo x.

nicker71
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/nicker71/photo3.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/nicker71/photo2.jpg

nicker71
07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/nicker71/photo2.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/nicker71/photo.jpg