PDA

View Full Version : Valve clearence for 84 200S

Huffa
08-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I need intake and exhaust.

For the X it is .003 intake and exhaust, the S too? I assume too that you put it at the "T" mark just like the X also.

Thanks!

dirtface
08-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Your correct on all your guesses, just did one last weekend.

trikes4life
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
.002 thats what it says in the book.

Huffa
08-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I can't believe they have such a small tolerence like that! Not the easiest to get a feeler guage in there either. I opened it much farther to get guage in and then slowly tightened down till I felt a bit of drag.

My CRF 450 is 7 intake and 12 exhaust I think. Guess that's cause it gets much hotter then these small motors and the tolerence changes more.

BIGCRIP28
08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
.003 .............

TeamGeek6
08-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Set it and then check it when the engine is hot, every motorcycle engine Ive owned loses clearance as the engine heats up, I ended up setting them with the engine running and up to full temp, always ran better that way.

Huffa
08-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Set it and then check it when the engine is hot, every motorcycle engine Ive owned loses clearance as the engine heats up, I ended up setting them with the engine running and up to full temp, always ran better that way.

Agreed (I never did it that way though) BUT don't you think the factories take that into consideration?

TeamGeek6
08-05-2005, 03:43 PM
The "factory" does not care about us working on an engine, they are in business to sell new vehicles. We have to do whatever makes an OLD engine run the best, and that is the experience I write about, whatever makes the most power.

Stock valve settings are OK for a new engine, but when the valvetrains wear, that all changes.

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
I disagree. If the factory didn't care about it's products, new or old or how long they last, they wouldn't last as long as they do and in turn, they wouldn't continue to sell millions of new vehicles 20+ years later.

I do agree that as things wear, adjustments need to be made to compensate for that wear until it gets to the tolerance that is no longer acceptable and the manufacturers' tolerances are a lot tighter than the end user's are 90% of the time.

Huffa
08-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I disagree. If the factory didn't care about it's products, new or old or how long they last, they wouldn't last as long as they do and in turn, they wouldn't continue to sell millions of new vehicles 20+ years later.

I do agree that as things wear, adjustments need to be made to compensate for that wear until it gets to the tolerance that is no longer acceptable and the manufacturers' tolerances are a lot tighter than the end user's are 90% of the time.

I'll say! If we listened or serviced them to their specs, we'd be replacing 1/2 the machine every few years!!

I will have to try that just for experimentation sometime..........see if I gain 5 horsepower :naughty: