PDA

View Full Version : 125m

scottyg118
08-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Hey, I just got this but it wont shift and it makes a ratcheting sound when you rev it up a little. I got the manual and started to look at the clutch because that's what the guy I got it from said he thought was wrong. Anyway I don't know much about it but I got the clutch off and it doesn't seem to have much wear to me. (compared to the new ones I bought) Is there anything else I should look at while I have the side cover off. Maybe a new clutch will do it, but in my unexperienced opinion, I don't think that is the problem. Thanx for any help, Scott

scottyg118
08-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I was hoping for a little better response than 0. I'm just wondering what else if anything I can be checking while I have the right side cover off. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanx, Scott

jakey
08-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Well i just had mine open today...and to tell you the truth the ratcheting sound could be a number of things...is the ratcheting sound coming from the top end or bottom end?

as far as not being able to shift take off the left side cover and take a look at your gears

Howdy
08-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I would check your Hi/Lo sub tranny. It's possible it's not engaging properly.
Howdy

scottyg118
08-06-2005, 11:36 PM
I appreciate the help in figuring this out as this is all new to me. I guess I will pull off the left side cover and see what I can find. I'll have to read up on the sub-tranny. I have 3 new friction discs for it and I stacked them up next to the old ones and the old ones were actually taller than the new ones. I realize the right way is to check the specs but does this sound odd or do ya think I should just put the new ones in and don't worry about that. I know its probably simple for some of you guys but when you don't really know exactly what your looking for or when you find it things can be a bit challenging. I like a challeng but hey I wanna ride the damn thing too. Scott

JackFlack
08-07-2005, 04:59 PM
I would say someone messed with the Clutch tighting screw. They might have over/under tightened it.

Or

Hi/Lo tranny is not ingauged all the way.

scottyg118
08-25-2005, 12:01 AM
I still can't tell what is wrong w/ me trike. I managed to lose the ball detent when I had the sub tranny out. Can I get one of those easy enough. Other than that, the hi-lo lever seems to work. I still have the ratcheting sound when I try to force it in to gear. Looking for one last round of stuff to check before I seek professional help. Thank You, Scott

fatfords
08-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Scott,
Don't know about the ball detent thing, but mine makes a kind of ratcheting sound when the sub-tranny is not fully engaged-the shifter is not fully forward or backward. Once the engine slows, shift to neutral and fully engage the lever.

Does the tranny shift through all the gears when the engine is not running? If it gets hung up, look at the shifter stop spring and bolt. It is above and aft of the clutch and I've read that the spring can wear/break or the bolt can break out of the casting. Anyway, this thing is supposed to keep it in gear and maybe it's not working? I've done some reading here and that seems to be my problem as mine hangs between 2nd and 3rd frequently. Haven't taken mine apart yet to look into this. Should be in your manual under shift linkage.

Don't fret about not getting alot of replies as most of these guys are running larger trikes, but there are lots of knowledgeable folks here willing to share information.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

scottyg118
08-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Yeah I didn't mean to sound like an a-hole, I am just a little frustrated b/c I don't know enough about it to figure out what's wrong. I really am thankful for the advice I have received. It doesn't shift when it isn't running either. Maybe I will take a look at the shift linkage and sub-tranny again more closely. When I drained the oil I didn't see any metal so I wouldn't think there is anything gearwise broken. Is it supposed to shift through the gears w/o the engine running? Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes I am too cheep to take it in if I can help it? I like figuring this stuff out it's just that I don't have a lot of time and I want to ride it and on top of that my buddy just got a 185s that seems to be a runner. Wish me luck, Scott

fatfords
08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Scott,
I hear ya! I don't like to take mine in either. I have several manuals, including the one from Honda, and basic maintenance isn't usually rocket science. While you have the right side cover and clutch off, take a look at that spring. If installed correctly, it should be under tension and not easy to move. If it just kinda dangles there, I thinkit is either broken or installed incorrectly. If that looks OK, then I would take a closer look at the clutch.

Do you have a Honda manual or is it a Clymer or other? If you need a pic, I think my 85 110 Honda manual would be very similar to the 125, as far as the tranny goes. Hopefully, I will get a chance to tear mine apart this saturday. If so, I will have a better idea what I'm talking about, since all of this comes from reading others posts.

Good Luck!

scottyg118
08-29-2005, 07:45 PM
yeah I have a clymer for it. I would be even more completely lost if I didn't. I am gonna look at it again tonight. If that don't work I think I found a guy that won't rape me too bad. Good luck w/ your trike also, Scott