PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from the machine shop. Now what do I use to paint on them?

LonesomeTriZ
08-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I just got this Tri-Z jug, YTM jug and YTM head back from the machine shop. I want them shiny black, but they are made out of aluminum and I know you can not use regular engine paint on aluminum. Give me some ides you all. I really want to get these back on the trikes as soon as possible.

Yamahauler
08-03-2005, 08:59 PM
What did you use to strip the old paint off?

Not sure about the kind of paint though, I was wondering myself.

twgranger
08-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Poilsh them.

LonesomeTriZ
08-03-2005, 09:58 PM
The machine shop took the pint off. I wanted them left black.

I will polish the next one. I want these black to match the color scheme.

Mike Fort Laud
08-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Why can't you paint aluminum with black paint??? I do it every day. Use a good green zinc chromate primer then paint away. We build aircraft engines and they are aluminum. Just use a primer for aluminum and you can get an engine enamel. I personally like VHT high heat paints. I painted my 250R moter with Zinc Chromate primer then used DuPont Imron 99* black.

vartiak15
08-04-2005, 11:15 AM
normal motor paint works fine guys. i used the 500 degrees b/c it is more gloss the high heat rate the lower the gloss. so 1200 degrees stuff is going to be a little dual but the 500 degrees stuff is shiney.

LonesomeTriZ
08-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Why can't you paint aluminum with black paint??? I do it every day. Use a good green zinc chromate primer then paint away. We build aircraft engines and they are aluminum. Just use a primer for aluminum and you can get an engine enamel. I personally like VHT high heat paints. I painted my 250R moter with Zinc Chromate primer then used DuPont Imron 99* black.

What is the name of the primer?

Mobular
08-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Zinc Chromate primer is the primer to use when painting aluminum. It's an etching primer, and that's a must when painting aluminum. After that, a light scuffing, and it's on with the color of your choice.

LonesomeTriZ
08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Zinc Chromate primer is the primer to use when painting aluminum. It's an etching primer, and that's a must when painting aluminum. After that, a light scuffing, and it's on with the color of your choice.

Will it withstan the heat?

tbird
08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
ya just use a high temp motor paint it will work fine

Mike Fort Laud
08-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh yea one more thing, Use a very thin coat of the Zinc Chromate primer. It should almost be transparent. DO NOT use several heavy coats of primer. It can peel if it is to thick. You can buy it at a marine shop. They use it to paint stuff on boats also.

LonesomeTriZ
08-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I did not realize there was so much to it. I will be getting hot on this, thanks you all.

Yamahondaman
08-04-2005, 07:56 PM
ACETONE CLEAN.... Spray with a Light Mild Coat "Mist" with GLOSS Rustoleum Black.. When ALMOST DRY.. ... re-Spray... 2 More Time's Filling in the "Holiday's" ... Bake in Oven @ 350 Deg. For 15 Min's .... let Oven Cool ... " 1.5 Hrs. " set overnite on Wax Paper...
PERFECT SEMI GLOSS LONG LASTING COLOR !!!! Heat,Dirt,Cold won't hurt it !
GIT IT RAG !!!! :-)

LonesomeTriZ
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
damn man, have you done it a time or two?

mymint87
08-04-2005, 09:55 PM
ACETONE CLEAN.... Spray with a Light Mild Coat "Mist" with GLOSS Rustoleum Black.. When ALMOST DRY.. ... re-Spray... 2 More Time's Filling in the "Holiday's" ... Bake in Oven @ 350 Deg. For 15 Min's .... let Oven Cool ... " 1.5 Hrs. " set overnite on Wax Paper...
PERFECT SEMI GLOSS LONG LASTING COLOR !!!! Heat,Dirt,Cold won't hurt it !
GIT IT RAG !!!! :-)

spoken like a true painter :beer