PDA

View Full Version : I need some help on my SX's tank color..

nouseforaname90
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok.. well.. ClayW said he would paint my tank for me.. but then I remembered that my neighbor used to be the painter at the body shop where he used to live, and he told me he still had all of his equipment and he would be glad to paint it for me for free, as long as I bought the paint. So I'm on a quest to find some paint. Clay told me that scarlett red, passion red, and super red by Chevy would all be a very close match. And Roger (sandpuppi101) told me that scarlett red and passion red are what he puts on his tanks. I went to Baker Auto Parts on a quest for paint, and came up empty handed. All I could find was a color used by "Daewoo" I believe (its either a car, or a car company.. never heard of the car company if it is the company) called Super Red.. would that be just like the "Super Red" color by Chevy??

Where would I go to find the passion red color I need???

And also.. when I asked for prices.. the lady asked me if I wanted "4th Dimension paint" or "2nd Dimention paint" and told me that 4th dimension needs a clear coat, and 2nd doesn't because it already has the clear coat mixed in. She recommended the 2nd dimension, but I'm not sure. Which would I want?

Tri-ZNate
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I used passion red with "Pam Anderson" Decals :D . I went to wal-Mart for the paint.

nouseforaname90
08-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Uhhh?? WalMart carries this kind of paint? How much did it cost you? It was the good automotive paint, right? The "$30 dollars a quart" kind of automotive paint? Awesome. Now was this a regular WalMart, or a Super WalMart?

Tri-ZNate
08-01-2005, 10:54 PM
lol my grandpa said he went down to wal-mart, got a little can of passion red (no idea how much and just enought to cover the tank nicely), and painted it up for me. He also put on some fire truck red primer and a clear coat.

nouseforaname90
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Wtf?? lol.. Well do you know if he has or used a paint gun? Or do you think he used a spray can?

Tri-ZNate
08-01-2005, 10:58 PM
It came in a spray can.

nouseforaname90
08-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Oh. Crap. I need the kind of paint you get for a paint gun.. like the professional kind of paint.

smokey
08-02-2005, 12:12 PM
go to a local body shop and ask them where they get thier paint and what they would recomend to use.

Yamahauler
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Yea, take your tank too to the body shop if it still has the original paint and ask them if they can use there machine to match it.

ClayW
08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Ok. Hopefully I can straighten this out. 2003 year model GMC trucks came in a color know as SUPER RED. Its in every paint catalog for that year. Earlier years too. This demension paint your talking about is just the brand. I use PPG paint. They have multiple grades of paint. I use there economy line which is know as OMNI. Its a basecoat clearcoat. This shop must carry a different brand. If I recall correctly, that brand indicates to me that that paint is very high end stuff. There is a paint code for Passion Red. I can buy it in the PPG. However you can only get it in their super high end paint. A pint runs $90+ bucks. Then you have to buy the thinner. Not worth it. So we researched and found that the SUPER RED is a balls on match. I actually had a tank painted Passion red Base Clear by a shop a couple years ago. I took that tank and put Pat Blackwells tank right beside it and you couldnt tell the difference. Its crazy how close it is. I would suggest you look up automotive paint supply in the phone book. Find a store that carries PPG Paint. That will be your best bet. You can get a pint of Red for $35. qt of Thinner for $10 a qt of Clear for $15 and a pint of hardner for the clear for $13. You may or may not have red paint left over. Depends on what pressure you paint at. I paint at a very low pressure to conserve paint and prevent runs. 3 coats of Red, 3 Coats of clear minimum. You will have left overs of everything else. Scarlett red has a pinker tint to it, and in my opinion wont look as good. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to post the actual numeric paint code for SUPER RED this evening. :beer

nouseforaname90
08-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Thank you Clay. Would the other color of Super Red that I found work? I believe it was in the 2001 GM section (although it was under Daewoo in the GM section???) and they want 14.95 a pint for it. (Yes.. they sell it in pints.. :))

ClayW
08-02-2005, 02:19 PM
I would have to see the color. If its in a GM book and its called Super Red it should be good. Im pretty sure they put that color on GM trucks especially GMC's. At the store I use they have 3 huge books that are a foot thick on the counter. Its got every color from the early 90s to now in it. You can browse thru it by manufacturer. Thats how I originaly found the Super Red. Go up there and check again. Also when you get the reducer for the paint get one that is suitable for the temp you will be painting. If its to fast of a reducer, it will dry to fast.

nouseforaname90
08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Oy.. I called all of the places around here that sells paint, and noone knew anything about passion red, and most of them said "I don't know what you're talking about" when I asked for Super Red and had no desire to help me. This hick town has NOTHING! How much do you figure it would cost you to buy all the stuff I need, and then ship it to me, Clay?
And don't they sell the PPG paint in pints??
I'll keep checking.. but the last resort would be to have someone get it for me.

ClayW
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah they sell it in pints. Most of these places don't like doing much on the phone. If you call the color by its name (passion red) (super red) they are going to play dumb. But if you give them a paint code they will say yeah we can mix it most likely. Thats why I was going to post that code later. Its numeric. What can be agrivating is this. Under the numeric code is the colors name. SUPER RED. Some shops just have jerks working there :crazy: . However with the numeric code, they can type it into the screen and bam, there it is. Let me post the code, then try and find it. They should even be able to cross it in to other brands also.

nouseforaname90
08-02-2005, 03:04 PM
How much do you figure a pint would cost you if you bought PPG?
And ok.. I'll try it with the code, but I don't know if its going to happen.. I live in the middle of nowhere with hardly any shops around for automotive paint.

sandpuppi101
08-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Thank you Clay I have been trying to illustrate the paint thing with nouseforaname also ,you hit everything rite on the nose.If you are only gonna do one tank I would go with the more economical way like what was stated above.But one thing you have to think about I invested for a mass quanity in both the passion and the scarlett red colors,because that is my business.I had it computer duplicated from an auto paint supplier and with all the bells and wistles its gonna cost alot of money! If these guys have a match and it is cheaper and you are only doing one tank I would go with what they say! I already told you how much it would cost you for me to do it so you have to weigh it out!