PDA

View Full Version : cheapest way to fix 250r tranny problems

monster 84r
07-31-2005, 11:58 PM
hi guys im kinda in a rough spot now. my 250r has givin me all i can take. im thinking of whether to sell it, or try to fix whats wrong. the guy who had it before me spaced out 1st neutral and 2nd. now i have to double shift to get to second. how can i put it back the way it was? should i just sell the bike? how much should i ask for it? i love her, but with all the problems im fed up :( . when im in neutral i can shift up a click and still be in neutral if that helps..... im just getting to tired of fooling with it. how much would a shop charge just to find out whats wrong? should i keep it and try to fix the tranny or sell 'er? thanks for any imput.

dovesprings250R
08-01-2005, 12:15 AM
$ wise to fix problem will be $500.00-$800.00 for tranny rebuild I suspect. I have a 87 kawi mojave quad that had a similar problem. I cut and welded an extension on the shift lever giving more leverabe, I also lowered the shifter and it gave me enough extra leverage to hit 2nd most of the time. In my 250r's I use dumonde tech racing tranny oil which improved the shifting over the previous 85 wt maxima. I would keep it, You'll kick yourself for selling it.

monster 84r
08-01-2005, 02:09 AM
i think he changed the 1st - 2nd pattern without splitting cases, anyone know how he did it?

eh_tee_see
08-01-2005, 03:12 AM
i would assume it is just worn or broken shifting forks- little boogers that ride around in a fancy engraved shift drum and force the gears to make contact (thats how it works i assume anyways lol) they are not too insanely hard to replace i don't imagine.

monster 84r
08-01-2005, 03:17 AM
id get that checked out, but this guy lead me to believe that it shifted into 5th fine before, and the screwed up 1st, neutral, 2nd, spacing was done intentionaly. i only want to mess with the shift fork as a last resort. i wish i could check it out with out splitting cases...

TeamGeek6
08-01-2005, 11:04 AM
The trans can be modified a little without splitting the cases, part of the shift mech is in the left case under the clutch cover. Neat little spring loaded deal, but it works the same for all gears. Id have to guess its a shift drum problem. Go here:

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/2stroke.html

and you can look at the engine teardown pictures and see if its something you want to tackle. Its not quite as easy as falling down steps, that trans can be tough to reassemble without binding.

monster 84r
08-01-2005, 02:41 PM
i think thats what i need to tweak , teamgeek6, because i know this guy didnt split the cases, but why would he screw up the gearing so that his ***** could ride ? lol il try to find the thing a mechanic was talking to me about and put it back to what it was...

ATCnut
08-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Do it right the first time, no matter what it costs, because that is the cheapest way in the long run.

200xadam
08-01-2005, 11:58 PM
very true, if you try to cut corners you will definetaly pay for it in the long run, unless you end up selling it then its not ** problem = ) but its definetaly a good idea to get it done the right way!

monster 84r
08-02-2005, 12:12 AM
you guys are right. im trying to find someone in the mesa, az area that knows what their doing, because id rather pay a private person than a shop that charges 65$ an hour plus parts. anyone up to it around here, let me know!

monster 84r
08-02-2005, 02:25 AM
i need to get a new plug too, my bike is running like ****. i pulled out the old plug and its a NGK B8es. i ride in 110 degree heat, but occasionally go to the mountains, but nothing under 60 degrees. I usually cruise mid throttle, but i also scream in high rpms too. what brand and size plug should i get?

TeamGeek6
08-02-2005, 05:49 PM
YEah fix it right, it always breaks down the farthest distance from the trailer!! : (

Assuming its like the 86... sorry i didnt notice the year, its onset old age.

Theres a shift detent deal that bolts on the shift drum through the right engine block (case). Its probably been tightened without holding the "star" and damaged the shift drum pins, at least thats my guess. Turning that detent star also turns the shift drum and puts a huge load on the pins. That could cause internal damage from the outside.

Pics:

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/250pics/shiftmechassy.gif

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/250pics/shiftmech1.gif

The shift "star" mounts on "5" (shift drum) in this picture, "3" and "6" have steel pins that engage in the shift drum that can be damaged from turning that drum in the wrong way.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/250pics/transncrankrside.gif

I can do it if you want, but Im not in AZ. assuming parts are available.

Spark plug, either NGK or Autolite, Autolite has an excellent plug for anything. Never use Champion, quality control is bad. I run a heat range 5 or 6 depending on whats on sale.

Going from 110 to 60 F is gonna take rejetting maybe about 2 main and slow numbers. Someone used to make a special main jet adapter to allow it to be tuned but I dont remember who it was.

MTS
08-02-2005, 06:48 PM
YEah fix it right, it always breaks down the farthest distance from the trailer!! : (

Assuming its like the 86... sorry i didnt notice the year, its onset old age.

Theres a shift detent deal that bolts on the shift drum through the right engine block (case). Its probably been tightened without holding the "star" and damaged the shift drum pins, at least thats my guess. Turning that detent star also turns the shift drum and puts a huge load on the pins. That could cause internal damage from the outside.

Pics:

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/250pics/shiftmechassy.gif

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/250pics/shiftmech1.gif

The shift "star" mounts on "5" (shift drum) in this picture, "3" and "6" have steel pins that engage in the shift drum that can be damaged from turning that drum in the wrong way.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/250pics/transncrankrside.gif

I can do it if you want, but Im not in AZ. assuming parts are available.

Spark plug, either NGK or Autolite, Autolite has an excellent plug for anything. Never use Champion, quality control is bad. I run a heat range 5 or 6 depending on whats on sale.

Going from 110 to 60 F is gonna take rejetting maybe about 2 main and slow numbers. Someone used to make a special main jet adapter to allow it to be tuned but I dont remember who it was.
Dial a Jet you thinking? www.thunderproducts.com , as for a plug stick with the one you have for numbers, use this chart for jetting, courtsy of wickedfinger,

monster 84r
08-02-2005, 07:42 PM
thank you guys, i found a new ngk b7es plug in the garage, mixed up some 40:1 and shes running alot better. i think i found someone to help me rebuild it. new bearings, seals , tranny, the works.

EDIT: oh the detent! thats what the mechainic called it. i couldent remember the name. he said the same thing, that someone messed with it to whack up 1st, 2nd, and neutral. can i adjust this detent to fix 1st-2nd? thanks for all the help.

oh that carb chart is awesome, im gonna print it out and put it on my garage wall, right next to the pam anderson poster :naughty:

monster 84r
08-02-2005, 07:55 PM
oh teamgeek6, the pics arent working , it just comes up 'hosted by tripod' . mabe i just have a screwed up pc...

TeamGeek6
08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Its not your computer, mine just did it too, copy and paste it in the browser window. Some web sites dont like links like these.

Just make sure the Pam anderson poster is a little higher than the rest... :D

monster 84r
08-02-2005, 11:38 PM
so how do i adjust this detent thing? nothing came up in the clymer. i just want it to be what it was..... would i have to split cases to get to it or just take off the cover?

Jason Hall
08-07-2005, 03:01 PM
There is a chance that its just the ratchet paws in the end of the shift drum, When you move the shifter it turns the shaft, there is a small bushing between the shaft, & the ratchet mech. If one of those springs is broke, it won't let the ratchet turn the shift drum far enough, does it down shift ok? If so it could be just one tiny spring that is broke. Or the bushing could be missing, or worn. I have 4-250-r engine's running rite now, & have had lots apart, & have not replaced a shift drum yet. I'm not saying they don't go bad, but they are real tuff. Well at least the 85-86's are the older r's were more likely to have trans trouble.

monster 84r
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
im open to adjusting anything short of splitting the cases, ive had bad experiances with that lol

TeamGeek6
08-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Sorry I dont know right off hand except to say that what Jason said about the springs sounds about right, Honda is known for broken springs in starter assemblies also.

Id just remove the engine and run it through the gears while turnign the crankshaft and look for it doing something weird in low gears. The shift assy should do the same motions in all gears.

and that when its together correctly, should be able to shift through most or all the gears without turning the crankshaft. They can be a real pig to reassemble. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!

Jason Hall
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
The end of the shift drum is under the right side case, you don't have to split the case. But you have to pull the clutch basket, & there are some tricky parts in the ratchet mechanism. You did'nt tell me If it down shifts ok? That is real important to know, if it down shifts ok, then its probably the little ratchet paw spring. If not, then you might have to dig a little deaper.

monster 84r
08-07-2005, 03:28 PM
no it shifts down fine most of the time, once on a while it locks up and wont shift down, but if its rocked back and forth it will. but 99% of the time it shifts fine

Jason Hall
08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Well It sounds like that might be it check er out & let us know.

monster 84r
08-07-2005, 07:41 PM
as soon as i can ill take off the side cover, and start takin pics and posten em up here. lol dad wont help me because he doesnt want me to have a 5th gear lmao