PDA

View Full Version : Super Trapp Disc ?

Huffa
07-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Been so long that I had one of these that I don't remember which way the disc are to be installed and didn't get directions with it..

I have the top of it (in picture) going toward the back of muffler. Is that correct?

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Do these photographs help? I just tooke them after I read your question. They are of my Supertapp for my YTM225.

Huffa
07-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Sure do and thanks!

I have them going the right way and can tell from the little indents in the pictures.

Your pipe that should of been mine looks great! :D

I'm down to 7 disc and it does tame the noise down a bit but still going to take more off.

Didn't you ever fuss with yours concerning the discs?

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 08:22 AM
I still have not got mine going. The exhaust is still sitting in its original box and the trike is waiting for me to finish.

Huffa
07-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I still have not got mine going. The exhaust is still sitting in its original box and the trike is waiting for me to finish.

I have not got mine going either yet. This pipe is on the SX.

Just in case, if for some reason you are ever getting rid of the pipe, let me know.

I'm down to 4 disc now and am quite happy with that. Just too :eek: piercing :eek: of a noise with a lot of disc on.

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 08:53 AM
If I can ever get this project back on track I plan to have it ceramic coated. I though the more disk the quieter it is. :confused:

TimSr
07-30-2005, 09:54 AM
More disks=more gaps=more airflow= noisier. Addings disks shifts the powerband towards the top end. Removing disks shifts it the other direction. Adding disks may require jetting richer. Removing disks may require jetting leaner.

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 10:01 AM
More disks=more gaps=more airflow= noisier. Addings disks shifts the powerband towards the top end. Removing disks shifts it the other direction. Adding disks may require jetting richer. Removing disks may require jetting leaner.

I had no idea all of that was involved. If evrything else is stock, how would I know where to jet the carb?

edog
07-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Is that Supertrapp going on your 1984 225 DXN that is in the background?

Huffa
07-30-2005, 10:27 AM
I had no idea all of that was involved. If evrything else is stock, how would I know where to jet the carb?

Jetting the carb is mostly a trial and error thing and you can tell from looking at the plug after riding it. If it's all black and wet then you need to go leaner BUT you must also know which circut (main, slow, needle) is causing the richeness or leaness.

For instance, if you want to see how it is on the idle circut.......clean the plug and start it up ONLY leaving it run on the idle circut for a few minutes. Shut down, take plug out and "read" it and go from there. It may just need the air screw turned in or out or a different size slow jet.

If you want to check above idle to 3/4 or so do the same thing and keep it in that zone of riding. Quick shut it down so it doesn't use the idle circut so much and "read" it again. Too rich try raising the clip on needle one notch and too lean lower the clip.

The main jet of course you just let her rip full throttle and do a check then.

If it's way rich well then it will blubber and you will feel and hear it, lean it should back fire on deacceleration but both too rich and too lean will effect the power in the same way except lean it won't blubber.

Much better to be on the rich side just a bit then the lean side so keep that in mind too.

I certainly don't know all there is to jetting a carb put that should help you some.

OH yea, you filter should be nice and clean also but I'm sure you know that.

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Is that Supertrapp going on your 1984 225 DXN that is in the background?

It sure is.

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks huffa. That will send me in the right direction. By the way, did you get that PM I send you?

TimSr
07-30-2005, 10:43 AM
With a clean plug, run it about 30 seconds wide open. Speeds is not important, but being in a higher gear with some load on it works best. Kill it, read the plug. This is your main jet setting. You slide need is adjusted witha half throttle reading done the same way. The air/screw piolt jet adjustment is done by throttle response off of idle, and is not done by a plug reading.
The main jet must be setup first, as it affects the entire range. With just altering your pipe, you probably wont need to mess with the needle if it was okay before. Your main jet will also change the midrange in the same way, so if it was okay before, it will take care of both areas.
Your idle circuit is not likely to be affected much, but you simply blip the throttle while idling, not the quickness, turn the screw by 1/4 turn increments testing and counting in both directions and do it over and over until you find the sweet spot for best throttle response off of idle. The pilot jet only needs changed when you are out of its range when adjusting the air screw.

edog
07-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Post some pics of it instaled when you get it done.

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Post some pics of it instaled when you get it done.

You mean in about a year? :rolleyes:

88 Turbo Coupe
07-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Are disks still available separatly? Why not run it without disks for less restriction?

LonesomeTriZ
07-30-2005, 06:56 PM
If it will run quieter with out them I will do that. How about you Huff, what is your modivation for running disks?

Huffa
07-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Are disks still available separatly? Why not run it without disks for less restriction?

You have it backwards... less = more restriction.

Huffa
07-30-2005, 07:32 PM
If it will run quieter with out them I will do that. How about you Huff, what is your modivation for running disks?

I setteled on 3 disc. I believe you MUST have at least one or it will be completely closed. Now if I was out in the desert and wanted more bark up top (like Tim said) then I would run the full dozen I guess.

I'm definitly interested in having a bit more low end bark for sure and keeping the tone down so the combo works great for me.