PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first three wheeler!!!

toupeiro
07-30-2005, 06:14 AM
I've ridden them when I was younger, but I never owned one. Although with quads being one of the hottest toys out there, I really enjoyed riding an ATC. It just felt completely different to me.

Anyway, I just got a 1981 Honda 250R. It's a 2 stroke, and runs very very strong, but there are some things I am needing that I haven't been able to find:

1. New plastics.
2. A new headlight
3. my handlebars are a little bent

Can anyone point me in the right direction for these parts?

Also, can anyone tell me if what I have is a good ATC? What I rode when I was younger was a Honda 200 4 stroke, and this seems to have much more power! I know that it has a new piston, new sprokets, and it has an extended axle, but other than that I think it is all original. What kind of things should I have checked on this before I take it out anywhere?

Thanks so much!

250r'en +TCB
07-30-2005, 08:33 AM
plastics: MAIER, they are a good company. Unless you want all stock plastis. Then your going to pay big $$$!!!!
headlight- EBAY
you can get handlebars anywhere.

edog
07-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Check out www.denniskirk.com.

Maine_Triker
07-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Yes, you have a good ATC! A collectable one too! The 81 250R was the first year the 250R was made, nice grab!

Welcome to the boards!

Phil

Dammit!
07-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Make sure you mix your gas! (sorry but a lot of people don't know that until somebody tells them :p )

Blown 331
07-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Post some pictures!

dovesprings250R
07-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Your 250R is very nice. Keep up on the maintenance, espcially proper chain tension and you will love it. Have fun!

nimda78
07-30-2005, 12:00 PM
got pix? what did you pay for her?

Billy Golightly
07-30-2005, 01:19 PM
That extended axle is a rare commodity. Make sure you dont wreck and bend it :p

Huffa
07-30-2005, 05:05 PM
The 3 items you mentioned you should be able to find on ebay.

As far as what to check before it's debu ride, I'd first go over the whole thing with the wrenches and make sure it's all snug down.

Make sure all the carb boots have no cracks and are on securely.

Change the trans and fork oil.

Check brake pad thickness.

Check frame for cracks.

Drain carb bowl and inspect bowl for crude

Check petcock bowl filter and the long filter that goes up in tank. (it's connected to the petcock)

Put rear on jack stands and check for axle trueness and bearing play

Might want rear shock recharged and rebuilt if it is that kind of shock. That's of course if you feel it needs it.

Clean air filter, fresh gas and you should be off!