PDA

View Full Version : A Little 86 Tri Z update --NOS OEM fun

Orangecnty250r
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Here's a little update on the 86 Z. I figure about every 4-6 weeks I'll post the progress of this machine. The bike is now totally disassembled. I threw in a shot of how nice the chappy red plastics are for those who havent seen them before. Also a pic of my huge Tri Z banner that I look at as inspiration to finish this machine.

I fixed the NOS seat cover Alignment -- The one the Pros put on crooked. I took Xsystems advice and redid it myself.

I decided that this machine may be close to done before winter(I never really call a bike totally done) I initially though this may be a winter project.

Ive acquired some OEM and NOS parts. I have all new foot pegs and brake assembly most of which is discontinued--

I am happy about this as most Tri Z right foot pegs are trashed from the kicker so even if powder coated they wouldnt be perfect. Also the factory finish on these pegs is hard to duplicate with powder (very unique can't really tell from the pic ...glossy black would be nice but not original).

As you can see I've got various chain guides , new OEM switch which is discontinued and various other odds and ends.

I'm currently acquiring some other NOS/OEM stuff which i'll post next time.

I getting excited -- I can start to envision the finished product in my head.

250r'en +TCB
07-29-2005, 07:41 PM
a box of goodies there man! good luck getting them on, and DEFINATLY show us some pics when you are done!

Orangecnty250r
07-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Some More Pictures

250r'en +TCB
07-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm kinda scared to ask this, but I must know.....How much was all this stuff?!?!?!?!

Darius1502
07-29-2005, 08:15 PM
The fork boots are great...they are really hard to find.

I love it. You need to find a new front fender...thats a tough one.

Good job....once you get yours done...I'll take my 86' z out and snap some pics.....you'll motivate me to take it out of retirement!!'

twgranger
07-29-2005, 08:57 PM
You have a great start!!

mike from long island
07-29-2005, 09:05 PM
why do the rear fenders have the two holes there,behind the seat??? i know my 85 doesnt have them?? i am just curious otherwise you got me jealous good luck in it all.

Kintore
07-29-2005, 09:13 PM
why do the rear fenders have the two holes there,behind the seat??? i know my 85 doesnt have them?? i am just curious otherwise you got me jealous good luck in it all.

They are for bolts that attach to the frame to the hold the plastics on, my Z has them as well.

Looks wicked Oc250r! Can not wait till I see the finish product. I am always drooling over your machines, I think im going to pick a banner up for myself just like the one you have. How much was that?

edog
07-29-2005, 09:14 PM
All i have to say is WOW. :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

Dammit!
07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Do you have an online gallery for your trikes?

mike from long island
07-29-2005, 09:23 PM
They are for bolts that attach to the frame to the hold the plastics on, my Z has them as well.

Looks wicked Oc250r! Can not wait till I see the finish product. I am always drooling over your machines, I think im going to pick a banner up for myself just like the one you have. How much was that?

i hate to start anything,but my yellow tri-z has an 86 frame under it. ther are no mounts on the frame that would line up to those holes behind the seat. all my fender mounts are under the seat. other then the two on each side on the lower fender.

so once again(unless i missed something in the pic???) what are those two holes behind the seat for???

twgranger
07-29-2005, 09:28 PM
I have 2 sets of yellow fenders with them dam little holes too. And i don't think they are for supports because my original fenders that came on it did not have the holes and their is no where on the frame that the supports can bolt to either.

mike from long island
07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
I have 2 sets of yellow fenders with them dam little holes too. And i don't think they are for supports because my original fenders that came on it did not have the holes and their is no where on the frame that the supports can bolt to either.

thats what i am talking about. i dont have oem on my 85 Z now but the 86 Z i bought may ahve oem. i have not recieved it yet. but i dont remember oem having holes??? its got me wandering?????????

Maine_Triker
07-29-2005, 10:46 PM
That's nice OC250R, I love seeing lots of NOS parts. It's like, "Hmmm... that pic has $250 worth of items, that pic has $400..." LMAO.

Kintore
07-29-2005, 11:07 PM
thats what i am talking about. i dont have oem on my 85 Z now but the 86 Z i bought may ahve oem. i have not recieved it yet. but i dont remember oem having holes??? its got me wandering?????????

Thats really weird, I have all OEM plastics and they came standard when I bought the trike. My frame has exact metal locations under the plastic for support. Ah well, the Tri-Z will still look good! :w00t:

OldSchoolin86
07-29-2005, 11:16 PM
i hate to start anything,but my yellow tri-z has an 86 frame under it. ther are no mounts on the frame that would line up to those holes behind the seat. all my fender mounts are under the seat. other then the two on each side on the lower fender.

so once again(unless i missed something in the pic???) what are those two holes behind the seat for???
The holes are too wide to bolt directly to the frame, I believe there was supports that bolted to the frame and then the fender.

EDIT: I just looked at some old pics I had of my first 86 and that exactly what they are, supports that bolt to the sides of the frame and then to the plastic.

Orangecnty250r
07-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Heres a pic of the original fender that came off this TRI Z -It does have the holes and there were definetly bolts there.

If you go to the yamaha web site it shows the holes on the 86 fender only. I had an old stock OEM black fender (i say old stock because it had the old yamha labels) it did not have the holes.

I believe that 85s did not come with the holes. 86 s did. When they ran out of old stock fenders they made the new black and yellow ones from the newer 86 mold. Thats why the new yellow set I got has the holes.

To answer a few comments- I would like to set up an online gallery of these when they are all complete. The large banner cost almost a 100.00 but its great. And for the cost ...I used to keep track but I dont anymore (it gets a little scary and I try not to think about it) Paypal helps because the cash isnt actually leaving your hands.

Mike from LI --I'll PM you tommorrow

Also See the white space where the decal that went on the rear for the 86-- its a different shape than the 85. Anyone have a shot of that???

I dont believe thats in Jareds 86 Kit--Also Kintore Do you have a decal on your air filter cover that was unique to 86's???

mike from long island
07-30-2005, 07:31 AM
ill be damned. thanks for setting the record straight i got no sleep last night pondering it all night long!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

edog
07-30-2005, 10:25 AM
He said long.lol

denn
07-30-2005, 12:11 PM
If anyone here has a true 100% stock 86z you will see that the brace in the back of the bike that goes between the frame rails where the gas tank mounts to, (behind the taillight) has two extensions on it. They have holes in them and that is why they have holes in the 86 fender. Only the 86 came with this. The 85 does not have those two tabs on them. When the 86's came out yamaha then used all those molds to make the plastic. Even for the 85,s. That is why yellow and black plastic has them too. If you ever noticed the headlight shells on the tri-z for 85 have the slotted vents in them. On the 86 they are not slotted and neither is any other headlight shell that you can get today. That is cause for 86 they revised them and made the vents solid and yamaha made the new factory plastic off those molds. Even the 85 yellow and the black. I am in Iraq otherwise I would post pictures on the brace and the headlights.. Hope this helps.

Thanks Denn

Darius1502
07-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Denn,

Are you doing alright over there?

Take care of yourself!!

Thanks for the ATV News shootout you sent me a couple years ago!!

Darius

twgranger
07-30-2005, 05:27 PM
If anyone here has a true 100% stock 86z you will see that the brace in the back of the bike that goes between the frame rails where the gas tank mounts to, (behind the taillight) has two extensions on it. They have holes in them and that is why they have holes in the 86 fender. Only the 86 came with this. The 85 does not have those two tabs on them. When the 86's came out yamaha then used all those molds to make the plastic. Even for the 85,s. That is why yellow and black plastic has them too. If you ever noticed the headlight shells on the tri-z for 85 have the slotted vents in them. On the 86 they are not slotted and neither is any other headlight shell that you can get today. That is cause for 86 they revised them and made the vents solid and yamaha made the new factory plastic off those molds. Even the 85 yellow and the black. I am in Iraq otherwise I would post pictures on the brace and the headlights.. Hope this helps.

Thanks DennThat explains my new headlight i got.

mike from long island
07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
i figured you would see that twgranger lol denn explains a lot!!! now i want to see this bracket!!!!! who has one?????? :wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering

twgranger
07-30-2005, 10:37 PM
i figured you would see that twgranger lol denn explains a lot!!! now i want to see this bracket!!!!! who has one?????? :wondering :wondering :wondering :wonderingI can't even find that bracket on bikebandit or the yamaha site. :wondering

denn
07-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Hey guys. Its the same bracket that is on the 85z except the modded it for 86. It is the black bracket that goes across the frame rails in the rear that the grab bar and gas tank bolts to. In 86 they put 2 wings on it that have spot welded nuts for those fender bolts to go in. I wasn't sure if I explaned it clear enough in my last post. It should be on the fisch.

Denn

Orangecnty250r
07-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey guys

I went and pulled the bracket out of the box-- Heres the 86 bracket

One pic on the frame, the other turning the fender over and lining up the bolt holes.

ZRacer94
07-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Is there a asupplier for the nos seat or cover and fork boots in these pics?

Orangecnty250r
07-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Is there a asupplier for the nos seat or cover and fork boots in these pics?

Only aftermarket is available for those two items--Alot of this stuff is discontinued stuff I've tracked down ( I live on ebay)-Check with bike bandit for availability--

mike from long island
07-31-2005, 01:16 PM
THE BRACKET LIVES!!!!!!!! i was wandering how it attatched to the frame. now i see it is part of the gastank mount thanks for the pics i can sleep now lol

Hornetpowerspor
08-01-2005, 03:51 PM
All I can say is keep up the good work. I love seeing theese old trikes brought back to life!

twgranger
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Only aftermarket is available for those two items--Alot of this stuff is discontinued stuff I've tracked down ( I live on ebay)-Check with bike bandit for availability--Bikebandit still shows fork boots for the 85 Z. I

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Just a small update on the part acquisition

Add 1 NOS Expansion chamber- Thanks LonesomeZ!! :beer Got the dust off wiped it down and looks great. :D

Add NOS kick lever assembly - No big deal but one more new part to go on this beast.

twgranger
08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
When she going to be done?

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Late fall or early winter I'm hoping. Been busy doing the stone work on my house (Heavy natural fieldstone- not the fake stuff - up to 14 foot high. I post some pics in the open forum.

Anyway, Still in the parts search phase ( I only want to put it together once) I'm getting anxious but the wait will be worth it :D

Yamahauler
08-23-2005, 09:52 PM
What are you doing about the wheels?
For my OEM Tri-Z I found a place that can restore the rim and strip the anodization dye off, and any scars along the edge of the rim, they TIG weld them or something and put it on a lathe to get it perfect. There site is www.carcone.com.
I found another place that can reanodize the rims http://www.qualityanodizing.ca/

This is what I was going to do, is there any other way, I'd imagine its going to be pricey though.

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2005, 10:04 PM
What are you doing about the wheels?

Well My front rim is perfect. I have a lead on a NOS front wheel and Hub
but its 340 bucks.... I'm sleepin on that one for a few days

I bought Kintores used stock tires and put them on mint OEM banshee wheels (have a rolled edge compared to OEM and you need banshee hubs but they have yamaha stamped right in them)

I have decent rear stock wheels with the H tracks that I decided to hold onto (no major damage just scuffs..... but enough to bug me.

I was going to put the bashee wheels on until NOS rear wheels turned up someday (and they will but some of these things take years to turn up) I may look into your refinishing information. Thanks

Yamahauler
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm going to check prices on that, the guys at Carcones are a little rude to talk to, but I will see if I can talk to the manager.

LonesomeTriZ
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Damn, under all that dust was black paint? I looks as though it cleaned up nicely. I was a little nervous about it getting damaged during shipping.

Those roms looks damn fine. :drool: Let me know if you find any more 8 or 9 inch Tri-Z rims in all your searching. I am on the hunt. ;)

brapp
08-24-2005, 09:15 AM
awesome lookiong parts, cant wait to see the finished product. i hope to build my yellow z into a monster someday soon!