PDA

View Full Version : My YTM 200

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
I have a YTM 200 that i have had for about ten years now. Since then i have never had a problem. This year after pulling it out of storage there was a problem. It starts up fine and idle fine. But when i give it gas it sorta misfires and blacksmoke is expelled from exhaust. I figured it was just something inside of it so i rode it and it did the same thing, when i gave it gas it died. Then after a while of flooring it in fifth it seemed to kick in and it ran fine until i let off the gas and it started sputtering again. this happened many more times. So i removed the carburator and cleaned it and that did nothing for the problem. Any suggestions?

speed20
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Did you drain the gas out of the gastank? check your airfilter? your tank petcock could be clogged also.

nimda78
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
new fuel line and filter, also check that manifold gasket, i just noticed mines sucking a little air.

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
yes i drained the gas but i will try the new fuel line filter and maifold gasket. thanks

LonesomeTriZ
07-28-2005, 02:57 PM
A good carb cleaning wouldn't hurt either.

nimda78
07-28-2005, 03:01 PM
yeah i was assuming the carb and tank being cleaned..it sat for 10 yrs!! i use pb blaster to revive my carbs. its clean, and fairly flamable. so the carb is cleaned and lubed, and will still fire easy after is reassembled. you can make your own manifold gaskets with the back of a notebook or the side of a cereal box. DO NOT USE SILICON....E V E R...on the intake. and a good filter is nessasary, so dont be cheap. moose sells some slick clear filters, but any small engine filter would work.

ps. got pics of it?? :TrikesOwn

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 03:09 PM
just to clarify it didnt sit for ten years, i ride it every year and this is the first year i have had a problem. And i did clean the carburator after this started happening but it didnt help. And then engine runs it just sputters and loses power. but i am going to check the maifold gasket and see if there is a problem there,

nimda78
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
this is what my new system looks like, it cleared allot of issues up. and i have enough line left to feed another machine..with the filter the new line and all was only 8.00 at a backwoods kawasaki shop, that has to order EVERYTHING.. :p :lol: :mad:

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 03:18 PM
question...how do i get to the manifold gasket or check for a leak?

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 03:26 PM
will an inline fuel filter work?

nimda78
07-28-2005, 03:30 PM
to tell you the truth, my ytm is the only one ive ever seen with a rubber boot that the carb slips into, then is bolted to the head with a 2 flange spread. all the others have seen have a 2 flanged end for the head, AND the carb. either way, you cant really test an intake gasket, just replace them and hope it worx. to get the manifold off the head, remove the carb from the manifold and unbolt it. if you can get the gaskets off in one piece you can easily make your own. you can still make your own without the old ones.

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 03:33 PM
my carb looks the same as yours the hose just slips over the metal. I was wondering if i could just cut some of the line off and then put an inline filter in the middle?

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 03:45 PM
on the carburator side of the flange there is an o ring and on the manifold side there is an o ring. no gaskets and both o rings look fine.

nimda78
07-28-2005, 03:48 PM
probably, if the line is in good shape, put it as near to the carb as you can, see the pix i posted. these like mine are known as inline filters, be sure the flow direction is oriented correctly.

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 03:53 PM
alright ill try that and i didnt replace the o rings beaces these were both still stretch and squisy so they looked fine to me. so i just put it all back together.

nimda78
07-28-2005, 03:55 PM
ive never had mine apart, didnt know their was o-rings. good to know.

DeadEnd
07-28-2005, 04:15 PM
by the way what is the best type of oil to use for the wet sump?

nimda78
07-28-2005, 05:09 PM
last change i did...i poured in some penzoil. dont know the weight. it has more viscosness than what i poured out..engine runs quiet and smooth, not to mention cooler since.