PDA

View Full Version : stripped oil drain plug

ENASNI TILLER
07-25-2005, 07:32 PM
I just bought a 85 350X and the drain plug is stripped. Whats the best way to fix it? Im going to buy a set of taps this week unless there is a better way.

3leggeddog
07-25-2005, 08:07 PM
go to napa,they have oversized drain plugs

Tri-ZNate
07-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Locktight the plug and put it in. Drill a hole into the plug and tap it. then put a bolt in the new hole. Worked on my SX :beer:

MTS
07-25-2005, 09:01 PM
........dont tap it out bigger, this is how you cause problems with bigger bolts ect jam stuff up get a HELICOIL kit.... most automotive places have them, if you bring it to a honda shop im sure they can tell you what size you need for your drain plug

ENASNI TILLER
07-25-2005, 09:02 PM
........dont tap it out bigger, this is how you cause problems with bigger bolts ect jam stuff up get a HELICOIL kit.... most automotive places have them, if you bring it to a honda shop im sure they can tell you what size you need for your drain plug

What exactly does that do.

MTS
07-25-2005, 09:13 PM
its like a little sleave that go's in the stripped out hole that has threds in it....looks like a compressed spring. theres a whole kit to it.....cheapist would prolly have a shop do it cause they have all the stuff and would only charge for the coil n labour (about 10 mins heh)

Hornetpowerspor
07-25-2005, 09:13 PM
What exactly does that do.
It is a stainless steel thread insert. It would be the correct way to fix it. What you will do is drill the hole with the recommended drill size, tap it with the special tap, and thread the new insert in to place. Just a suggestion, while drilling and tapping, apply a small ammount of grease to the drill bit and drill slowly. This will make the alum shavings stick to the grease. Do the same on the tap. When you are done I would also dump a quart of oil through it with the drain plug removed to flush out any remaining shavings.

oddball3
07-25-2005, 09:30 PM
On my wifs 200x I tapped it 1\4" NPT. Never had a problem with it.

sblt500r
07-25-2005, 09:40 PM
weld it up and you won't have any more problems with it leaking. :crazy:

i'm joking i wouldn'r reccomend that, but i have had to fix alot of welded up drain plugs by drilling and taping new holes.

broook
07-26-2005, 07:08 AM
The quickest and easiest way is to buy an adjustable drain plug from an automotive store. Make sure you get the right size. Just put the plug in the hole and tighten it. The rubber expands into the hole and seals it. After about three oil changes buy another one to be on the safe side. I had one in a truck for years. They are only about $5-00. :beer