PDA

View Full Version : 3 Wheelers according to the Law

Power_Ram100
07-25-2005, 04:40 PM
This summer im taking a business law class. I came across this web site, I thought it was interesting. The guy talks about how dangerous atc's are. What do you think?

http://library.findlaw.com/1992/Nov/1/130577.html

LonesomeTriZ
07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
The article does make a valid point as far as Honda redesigning the seat and pegs. But I agree that the machine is not to blame.

250r'en +TCB
07-25-2005, 06:00 PM
machines don't kill people......In my opinion, as soon as you hop on ANY motorized vehicle any accident is YOUR FAULT, unless somebody hits or runs into you of coarse.....

deathman53
07-25-2005, 07:02 PM
that artilce is a bunch of bs, another way lawyers find fualt in the machine and honda, fact is people were riding them drunk, no hlemets etc, no training, can't be ignored

Tri-ZNate
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
They are entitled to their opinion even if it is wrong :D . plain and simple like honda said its 80% human error. drunks riding trikes without helmets and carrying passengers cause accidents. Just dont drive stupid and you'll be fine. And whats the deal with everyone smashing Honda? There are other ATV companies.

deathman53
07-25-2005, 08:44 PM
yeah, wear your safety gear, don't ride stupid, don't ride drunk, high, coked up, etc. Thats what I tell guys who aske me abotu how dangerous trikes are. I tell them, all the people who rode double on them, drunk/drugs, stupid, children riding too big of machines, lack of parent suppervison caused them to be banned and a bunch of anti-atv "experts" didnt' help it either.

sandpuppi101
07-25-2005, 08:45 PM
I am glad that I got to see that ,and I will gladly show my customers also,This is America it would'nt be rite to only have one side to this ,but this is why we unite and speek freely on our rite to have our trikes !!!! I know I am not the only one who feels this way because i have hundreds of my fellow trike brothers united on this website !!!

edog
07-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Stupid people...not stupid machines.

straight pipe
07-25-2005, 09:34 PM
i can't believe some a-holes have nothing else to do than to slam trikes...if you can't ride them you shouldn't...some can't swim you don't see them snorkling. oh well whatever you can't change the past and we shouldn't live in the past as well. if there is anyone that is still pissed about the ban should get over it already it wont change a damn thing.....get on that trike and ride and stop biachin...

dblshockpower
07-25-2005, 10:11 PM
You should stipulate though that without the experience of many hours in the seat these trikes will fool you..i.e. decending a steep hill could kill the casual 4 wheel ATV rider in a moment....so be careful who you let ride your machine!

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 11:10 PM
" Expected service life of 7 years .. "... LOL..... now how accurate is this one !! hahahahahahaha..

Guns don't kill people.. people do !

old honda dealr
07-25-2005, 11:59 PM
If the machine is at fault then what about guns and cars? They have taken millions more lives then atc or atv's. I would like to see the reports and statistics for the 4 wheelers. I would be willing to bet money that there are far more accidents and deaths on 4 wheels then there ever were on 3. Someone prove me wrong. Machines arent to blame for people's stupidity and ignorance and lack of respect. People are. Plain and simple. I have owned a 3 wheeler for more then 23 years. And of all the time I can remember it sitting in the barn I can not recall one single time I ever had to go out and yell at it for getting mad and hurting someone.

Rex Karz
07-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Of course these Guys spin gems like this:
Cost to Society What have ATVs cost society? The average value of the product defect claims settled by Honda for accidents between 1978 and 1988 is $859,003 per claim. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimated that deaths and injuries associated with all ATVs between 1981 and 1988 alone number 419,234.23 Honda's market share from 1970 to 1980 was 100 percent; from 1980 to 1985, 73.09 percent. We will use a conservative figure of 70 percent for Honda's market share. If this figure is multiplied by Honda's average value for a product defect settlement and the CPSC's estimated number of injuries and deaths, the total cost of these injuries and deaths is .70 x 5859,003 x 419,234 = $252,086,284,591

Of course all these numbers are total crap. Like "Society" had to open their pockets and pay those poor people who, uh, GOT PAID AN AVERAGE OF $859,003 !! Oops, I should've said got paid an average of $286,047 (1/3) and each Lawyer per case $572,095 (2/3). Self-serving Circular Logic.

Then, of course the red herring:

Honda was sophisticated in marketing its product to a vulnerable population and it is just as effective in marketing its defense to jurors. Plaintiffs' attorneys should expect Honda to conduct market research on how best to sell local jurors on the Honda defense regarding the specific facts of their cases. The power of such marketing has been cynically summarized by Dentsu, the largest Japanese advertising agency: "Manipulate those around you. In the end, the manipulative rise way above the manipulated."

What the hell did that have to do with ATC's ?

I think the point of this page is how to make money trying ATV cases. After all, You can make $572,000 by winning one !

Riders will continue to be maimed and killed, and cases will continue to be tried. There are an estimated 2.5 million ATVs still out there - time bombs lying in wait for the *.S. consumers who were sold on Honda's idea of safe family fun. In the seven-year life expectancy of the machines - and many last much longer - experts predict that one in three will cause serious injury or death."
So GO GET'EM, BOYS !!!! GET THAT MONEY !!

200xadam
07-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda should have made some attempts at ATV safety courses, like today. maybe even make it manditory to take a safety class before purchasing an ATV. that way people understand that * cant just crank the handlebars sideways and expect it to turn for you. and that when your going down a steep hill you shouldnt lean over the handlebars to watch your front tire..just simple things that stupid people should have been informed on. maybe that woulda weeded out some of the idiots...

atctim
07-26-2005, 04:27 PM
"There are an estimated 2.5 million ATVs still out there - time bombs lying in wait for the *.S. consumers who were sold on Honda's idea of safe family fun. In the seven-year life expectancy of the machines - and many last much longer - experts predict that one in three will cause serious injury or death"

Down-right laughable. Hmmmmm Think this was a biased article?

cajun66
07-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Inspired by Larry the Cable Guy. "Blaming 3wheelers for those injuries and deaths is like blaming a typewriter for mispelled words."

bassman
07-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Out of the 3-4 months I'vew had my 200x, not ONCE have I wrecked/rolled or injured myself on it. Well....I guess I have injured my self on it. Kickstarting it when it's wet.....my fot slipping off......the kicker recoiling and smashing my shin. That bruise was there for almost a month, lol. So I guess that wsa the trikes fault. But other than that, never once have.

bassman
07-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Oh and the time bombs comment was a gem!