PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Cleanup ! SX Part-1

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Well. i'm waiting on my diff from the shop and have time on my hands .. as i am on vacation for the next 2 weeks and 2 days !! :w00t:

I think i'm going to go with black everything.

with

Red Spring !

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Haha.. thats exactly what colors I was thinking about for my shock. although I was going to go with a red spring, black shock body or w/e, and a gray adjuster.

Huffa
07-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Good going BRH :beer

The spring I soaked in muratic acid which takes all the rust off. You get some flash rust right back on it when you dry it with acetone but it's a heck of a lot better then it was.

Just lightly sand then and give it a blast with primer and top coat and make sure you look at all angles with good lighting or you'll miss some.

Man, does yours have any paint at all left on it?

Hey, you could even paint the plastic crud cover with Krylon fusion paint.

Nouseforaname, give the propane a shot, it might work ???

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm planning on going out and giving it a blast with propane in a little bit. Its worth a shot.. and if it doesn't work, I just won't mess with it.

Did you get my PM Huffa?

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Ok

This is a few hours work.

Wirebrush to get the thick stuff off.. 100 grit to polish it up some.

Tomorrow a cleanup .. prime and paint.

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
How the heck did you get your shock out so easily?? I've tried for FOUR hours and mine still hasn't came out!!!!! The bottom bolt is being a witch. I got the nut off, and it is sticking abotu 1/4 inch out, and it won't come out any further. The rear end is on a jack so there is no weight on the shock or anyting. ARGGH!! Help!

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I bet your bolt is bent resulting in it not comming out very easy.

Put a center punch on the oposite end of the bolt ( on the end that the bolt came off ) and hit it with a heavy hammer.

Rear end on blocks ????

remove the seat and rear plastics and tie up the top end of the shock/frame from above to take the weight off the bolt.

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I just got it out. Whew. All I had to do was hit it back into place (which resulted in it straightening), and then try hitting it back out, and it popped right out.

The rear end was supported, and there was no weight on the shock.

And I also tried the center punch thing, with no such luck.

All it needed was hit back into place with a good thrust, and pushed back out.

Now I'm having troubles getting it apart. Lol.. help on that, please?

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Got a bench vise ?

Put the bottom of it in a vice . shock standing up.

You will need a BIG pair of adjustables to hold the flat sides of the top disk. that really flat one at the top you will notice 2 sides are flat. hold that and then twist the top bolt mount right off.

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 12:41 PM
I was putting the top in the vice and trying that. Oops. I'll go out and see if it works.

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
This is really starting to make me mad. I've tried everything you guys have said, and its not working.
I put a monkey wrench on the bolt mount, and then i put a bigger one on the flat sides of that disk, and turned, and it wouldn't break free. What the heck am I doing wrong?!?! I have 4 hours into this shock already, and its not even APART!

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Patience youg jedi !.. lol....

Give it a spray with penetrating oil.. wd-40.. whatever you got... let it sit a bit.. and try again ! Look at the parts in my picture... should show wich ones come out !

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 01:46 PM
OK.. well here is the shock after I got it out..
http://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/DSCN2787-821491.jpg (http://www.supload.com/free/DSCN2787-821491.jpg/view/)

And here is how I am trying to get it off:
http://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/DSCN2791.JPG (http://www.supload.com/free/DSCN2791.JPG/view/)

It is not working. I put WD-40 on it.. Liquid Wrench.. Chain Lube.. Super Tech Lubricant.. everything, and its still not coming off..
Where would I get another bolt for the bottom of the shock, also? I think I ruined it when I was taking it out, because it won't thread into the nut anymore. This is a hassle. lol.

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Looks like you're on the right track.

Careful with the pipe wrenches.. not a very accurate tool.. chews stuff up.....

But you are on the right track.

Hold the bottom ring in place and twist the top off !

( Mine came off pretty easily.. and was way rustier than yours.. weird )

Your shock actually does not look that bad !! your spring still has paint on it !! lol...

I hope it's just the picture but your lower mount looks crooked !????

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Its not crooked. I had the towel sitting ontop of stuff, so its not on a flat surface, which probably makes it look crooked.

I know that my spring still has paint on it, but towards the bottom of the spring, it is starting to chip and rust, so I figured while I was refurbishing my bike, I might as well fix up the spring.

What did you use to take yours off??

The pipe wrenches ARE chewing the little circular disk up, and thats why I quit trying.. I'm hoping to find some suggestions of tools to use other than pipe wrenches.

And do you know what length/threads per inch the bottom bolt is?? I need a new one :(

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669779&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1122315301284&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441899895&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669793&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441900919&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1122315333855&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Use a good set of Channel Lock's on the bottom ring.

and an Adjustable wrench on the top part.

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Well.. I got the bolt holder thing off.. now I can't get the ring off. AHHH!!! How the heck do you keep that threaded part from spinning while you are trying to get the ring off??

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 03:16 PM
oh . now that part was a problem !! lol..

Push down on the spring if you can to take pressure off the ring.. if you can someone to help you out get them to spin the ring while you hold down on the spring and try to hold that chromed rod from spinning with it. It will go !!

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Ok.. I got it all apart. Actually the ring was very easy to take off. I held the threaded thing VERY loosely with channel locks, and twisted the ring w/ a pipe wrench and it came right off. Thank god its all apart. Whew.

http://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/DSCN2807.JPG (http://www.supload.com/free/DSCN2807.JPG/view/)

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 04:03 PM
WOAH !!!.. is that what the bushings are supposed to look like ?... wow.

Mine are crushed/worn/gone/dead........ and honda tells me they don't make them no more.

My friend's daughter just got into motocross and she has an XR 100.. he got a new one for her rear shock and is taking it over in a bit.. i'm going to see how it fits !!

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Its caked with mud and grime, but a few hours and a fresh paint job, and she'll look like new.

I'm still wondering about this color scheme. Should I go with a red spring, a black adjuster, and the rest gray? Or a black spring, and the rest silver? Or a red spring and the rest black?

I'm leaning more towards the first one.. but I'm not sure if it would look good. Any suggestions?

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm going for all black with red spring. the motor.. swingarm.. frame .. everything is black already. no silver to go with... so it's all black.. and Red spring.

I finally got my hands on the air tank.. gun, 3 bags of sand ( they wanted 50 $ for the glass stuff.. hell with thta ! ) and it's supposed to be 26 celcius tomorrow !!

Can't wait to get started !

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
How much did it cost you per bag?

I'm hoping to get alot of my stuff together and sandblast it and paint it all in one shot sometime soon.. i just need sand..

bigredhead
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Home Depot of all places !!!....

7 $ can a bag ! I think i'll only need 1.. got just in case.. i got 3.. i hate starting something and running out of supplies then having to go back to the store... ugh.

Princess auto was all out... canadian tire don't carry it.. and low and behold.. Home Depot in the concrete section.

nouseforaname90
07-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I'll go to Lowes first.. they have reasonable prices.

Have you ever tore your SX completely apart?

I don't have TOO much experience with ATV's/engines.. but I want to tear my SX down to the frame, repaint everything, and put her all back together. I'm just afraid I'll screw something up.

nouseforaname90
07-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Whenever you sandblast your shock parts, tell me what to watch out for and not to hit with the sandblaster, just so I don't mess something up.. lol.

atcmatt
07-26-2005, 01:00 AM
I sandblasted my 250es shock then painted it a while back. I even blasted the plastic and painted it also. I then polished the top mount mickel plated the round nut and the adjuster. It came out great, looks new dont it?

Matt

nouseforaname90
07-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah.. it looks really good. Hopefully mine will look like that when I'm finished.. lol.