PDA

View Full Version : My $100 250 Sx

Huffa
07-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Well here it is after many hours of work. It went from this (under Chico) : http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=35894&page=2&pp=15

to below pictures spending about $250 + the 100 that I paid for it.

bigredhead
07-23-2005, 10:29 PM
That's insane man.

I'm about 1500$ into it with my SX and no end in sight !

dirtface
07-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Wow, great job. Another one saved.

nimda78
07-23-2005, 10:46 PM
wow man! real clean machine.

nouseforaname90
07-23-2005, 10:57 PM
How did you only spend $250 on restoring that? lol.. if you have connections, PLEASE tell me about them :)

Huffa
07-23-2005, 11:31 PM
How did you only spend $250 on restoring that? lol.. if you have connections, PLEASE tell me about them :)

Well if you really study the before pictures of it, it was mostly just clean,sand and paint over and over again for many parts.

The gas tank and seat were in really respectable shape when I got it and I just cleaned them up some.

The rims I repainted too.

I just gave a rough amount of what I spent but lets tally it up closer.

:wondering Lets see here now...........

Tires ............ 175
Battery......... 27
F fender ...... 25
Air filter ....... 24
lever & perch.. . 20
brake cable ..... 24
paint .............. 15
dash bulbs ...... 2.00

Total ............. $312 ........a bit more then I guessed but thats about it I think as far as what I put into it.

It still needs the pegs and skid plate painted but I'm busy on another project now. This week it gets a nice brand new Super Trapp pipe............... http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/77/88/1d_1_b.JPG ...... on it :D I just couldn't resist the temptation of such a rare pipe for it.

Maine_Triker
07-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Yup... you got her for one heck of a deal... we paid 950 for ours... have at least 300 into it now... and it still looks like crap! hahaha

Huffa
07-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Yup... you got her for one heck of a deal... we paid 950 for ours... have at least 300 into it now... and it still looks like crap! hahaha

Come on, it can't look that bad, can it ?

Lets see it!

Mine looked like crap too! Absolutely everything ( :cry: ) needed a good cleaning up.

Take a look at what 30 minutes or less does for the forks and 1 hour to the shock

Maine_Triker
07-23-2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11987

I think that's the best pic I have right now..... faded fenders... crappy mudgaurds, distroyed headlight... cheap and terrible looking seat cover... all sorts of nasty stuff...... perfect trike to use as a beater! :D

EDIT: Did I forget to mention the tank is also gross, I can't believe I allow it to sleep in the same garage as my other trikes! :lol:

Huffa
07-24-2005, 12:03 AM
It doesn't look too bad but then pictures always makes things look better then they really are.

Going to fix it up or will that always be your beater machine?

Is that a parts bin shelf in the back that you made and what the heck is the frying pan for? :D

Maine_Triker
07-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Going to fix it up or will that always be your beater machine?

Is that a parts bin shelf in the back that you made and what the heck is the frying pan for? :D

Fixing it up we are... but will use aftermarket plastics so it can still be the beater :D

The shelf is more of a tools area, parts are "out back".

The Frying pan.... don't you ever get hungry in the garage? :naughty: HAHA no really I don't know why it's there :wondering :wondering

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Ever cook bacon in the garage with a torch !!!.. mmmmmm Bacon...

My diff alone is gonna cost me 200 or so... jeez.

Huffa
07-24-2005, 06:23 AM
Oh, that's right, I forgot you had the explosion with the swingarm-diff assembly.

Did you win all those parts?

edog
07-24-2005, 07:54 AM
WOW,that 250 sx is awsome looking.I know that you like Honda better than Yamaha.This one just needed less attention to get in good condition.What ever became of the bumble bee?

MO350X
07-24-2005, 08:02 AM
I'd be hard pressed to ever get rid of mine....oops, I mean my wife's. :D
I absolutely love riding that thing.

I'd venture to say we have just under $900 in it and it's "done" in my book.
We got it for $600 and did a few improvements.
Now it's always ready to ride, reliable, safe, quiet, cushy.....what more could you want?

250SX's are great all-around trikes.

Congrats on the STEAL! :beer
You did great! :w00t:

Huffa
07-24-2005, 09:18 AM
WOW,that 250 sx is awsome looking.I know that you like Honda better than Yamaha.This one just needed less attention to get in good condition.What ever became of the bumble bee?

Hey edog

The Bumble Bee is 75% done but then I jumped over to the SX. Now I have to finish up a freinds 200S then next in line is the BB.

Huffa
07-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I'd be hard pressed to ever get rid of mine....oops, I mean my wife's. :D
I absolutely love riding that thing.

I'd venture to say we have just under $900 in it and it's "done" in my book.
We got it for $600 and did a few improvements.
Now it's always ready to ride, reliable, safe, quiet, cushy.....what more could you want?

250SX's are great all-around trikes.

Congrats on the STEAL! :beer
You did great! :w00t:

You mean improvements over stock? feel free to post a pic of it! Love to see it!

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 10:01 AM
The swingarm fell apart on mine ( I think due to the fact that my bottom shock mount had play and it was metal to metal contact.. )

Everything else was fine tho.. the diff drive shaft etc..

But since i have it apart and am replacing my swingarm bearings again.. my rear diff has not been touched in a LONG time so i figured why not have it overhauled while i'm in there. With new bearings and seals in the diff.. new bearings in the swingarm. and my 4 bearings ( 2 on each side of the hubs ) are in very good shape, no play what so ever.

I won on e-bay from one guy:

Carb - 13 $
Axle - 60 $ ( someone was bidding this sucker up and i was not letting it go ! )
DriveShaft - 30 $
Both front and rear skid plates - 8 $

So i now have spares.... should last me a human lifetime of fun on that SX.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 10:59 AM
We have a frying pan in our garage.. we used to use it for melting lead.

And what did you do to those forks to make them look so good? Did you paint them? Sand them? Sand blast them??
And how about that shock? Please tell me all. lol.. PM me if you want to.. I'm very curious.

Fixing it up we are... but will use aftermarket plastics so it can still be the beater :D

The shelf is more of a tools area, parts are "out back".

The Frying pan.... don't you ever get hungry in the garage? :naughty: HAHA no really I don't know why it's there :wondering :wondering

ATC crazy
07-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Thats a beautiful SX for only a few hundred dollars, and a little bit of work. Mine didnt look as good as yours, and I coulda sold it for $1k easily :lol:

Huffa
07-24-2005, 12:58 PM
We have a frying pan in our garage.. we used to use it for melting lead.

And what did you do to those forks to make them look so good? Did you paint them? Sand them? Sand blast them??
And how about that shock? Please tell me all. lol.. PM me if you want to.. I'm very curious.

MO350X asked me that too and here is my reply:

What I do is take the clear coat off (that's really what gets so crappy) with my 6" fine wire wheel on bench wheel. Then depending how nice you want them you can wet sand them or simply steel wool them with medium, then fine and extra fine.

Oops, after the 6" wheel then I use a 3" job on end of drill to get the hard to get spots. You could actually use a 3" for the whole thing if you don't have a bench wheel.

Then follow with your favorite alum polish such as Mothers or Never dull polishing wads or whatever.

I could have easily brought them up to even a higher gleam but figured their going to get a bit scuffed eventually anyway and the trike isn't for show and no go so I just got them to look really nice without going overboard. The whole process takes not more then a 1/2 hour to do. With more work you can get them perfect if you want.

I imagine you could sand or bead blast them too?

I do this on every 3 wheeler I own. I imagine you could put a nice clear coat over top then but I don't because if I scuff them i can just simply steel wool it back out again. Someday I might try a clear coat though but I'm a bit worried it might dull or yellow over time.

The Yamahas I have are all of a grey color and I think they look so much nicer taking that off. I like shiney things instead of the dull look so that's why I take it off.

The shock I simply sanded , primed and painted gold with a fresh painted black spring.

The gold heat sheild on pipe I might change to grey (like a gun metal color)......... what do you guys think? I think it will go better with the motor? :confused:

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 01:03 PM
How did you get the spring off the rear of the SX ?

dangerous or difficult ?

Huffa
07-24-2005, 01:10 PM
How did you get the spring off the rear of the SX ?

dangerous or difficult ?

Easy as heck!! Just put the top of shock in a vise, spin off the top mount and spin off the spring holder disc.

Easiest shock I ever did! You might have to hold onto top spring disc with pipe wrench while turning it to get the mount off. I think thats how I did it.

Hold on a sec.........

Huffa
07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Here it is. My shock DOES NOT have the spacer (#11) between preload adjuster and spring at bottom. I asked this before on here an others said they don't have it neither.

# 3 & 9 is what spins off in normal counter clockwise rotation then the plastic dust-mud #7 collar comes right off along with the spring and after that the preload adjuster. That's it !!!

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Honda/H00270073.gif

Huffa
07-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Thats a beautiful SX for only a few hundred dollars, and a little bit of work. Mine didnt look as good as yours, and I coulda sold it for $1k easily :lol:

I wouldn't say a little bit of work though it was A LOT of work to get it to look like that and I'm still not done.

Some take more parts then labor, mine was the opposite as it took waaaaay more labor then parts. The rear of frame and swingarm was terrible with rust but not any more!!! :D

DIGGER DOG
07-24-2005, 02:31 PM
heres my lil sx before,motor after paint, frame with new plas. I actually have the motor on frame now but the project has been put on hold at least till after july 06
As I am attending MMI untill then and am away from home I paid $400.00 for trike it runs good,I still need misc. parts like whole front end or do a 200X conversion,need a complete seat with hard ware might put some bigger rims on back ?? Dunno like I said proj. on hold for at least a year and may be a half.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 02:41 PM
The spring comes off without anything else coming out/apart?

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Cool !!

I'm gonna go get that sucker outa there right now !

Thanks.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 05:25 PM
I just tried taking my shock off to repaint while I had everything else apart to refurbish/paint.. and it doesnt seem to want to come off.. I even tried hitting the wrench with a 32 oz. hammer..

Huffa
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I just tried taking my shock off to repaint while I had everything else apart to refurbish/paint.. and it doesnt seem to want to come off.. I even tried hitting the wrench with a 32 oz. hammer..

If your talking about the bottom shock bolt I had to heat that up glowing red to get mine off. I'm sure you"ll have to do the same.

Propane is not hot enough either. I have a little mapp gas - oxygen kit that I got from sears for stuff frozen on liike that.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Bleh. Great. And yes I am talking about the bottom bolt.. this should be fun..

Huffa
07-24-2005, 05:58 PM
The kit is something like this but Sears sells it in a case.

http://www.tools-plus.com/brnox2550kc.html

Useful for a lot of stuff.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Propane will not get it hot enough?? All I have right now is a propane torch, and I don't have much money after spending over $200 on misc. items for my SX this week.

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Just got mine apart.. Went well. no torch needed !! phew.... thank god.

How the hell do you clean up a spring ? !!!.. i'm about to get to it with a wire wheel ! youch.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 06:49 PM
How hard did you have to try to get the bottom bolt out?? I was pulling w/ all of my body weight with my feet pushing on the tires for leverage, and the dang thing didn't even move! (If you have the wrench under the bolt, and you are pulling it towards you.. you're loosening it, right?)

Dirtcrasher
07-24-2005, 07:25 PM
I have over 2K into my 87SX..... But it has 250R gold rims and tires, Renthal bars, 350X headlight, 200X front end conversion, high comp piston, chrome moly valve springs, WEB cam, 350X carburetor, new valves and tensioners, all new plastic, recovered seat, new tank etc, etc. etc..... It has a near identical twin brother but no motor mods.

Dirtcrasher
07-24-2005, 07:26 PM
How hard did you have to try to get the bottom bolt out?? I was pulling w/ all of my body weight with my feet pushing on the tires for leverage, and the dang thing didn't even move! (If you have the wrench under the bolt, and you are pulling it towards you.. you're loosening it, right?)

Lefty loosey, righty tighty

bigredhead
07-24-2005, 07:37 PM
the shock bent it from multiple hard hits....

you will either have to twist it out ruining the threads resulting in needed a new bolt mo matter what..

Grind the head off it if you have the tools.. and get a new bolt !

PS : MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET A BOLT FIRST !! MIGHT NOT BE READILY AVAILABLE !

Does it look twisted ?

when you turn it do you get a hard then soft spot like if it was warped in the middle ?

Huffa
07-24-2005, 08:11 PM
I have over 2K into my 87SX..... But it has 250R gold rims and tires, Renthal bars, 350X headlight, 200X front end conversion, high comp piston, chrome moly valve springs, WEB cam, 350X carburetor, new valves and tensioners, all new plastic, recovered seat, new tank etc, etc. etc..... It has a near identical twin brother but no motor mods.

Sounds quite nice to me, lets see it!

Huffa
07-24-2005, 08:12 PM

Same here!!

It took me longer to get that nut free then it did to paint the shock body!! :lol:

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Lefty loosey, righty tighty

Well I know that.. lol.. but I was turning it left, and it didn't seem to want to loosen. It turns out that I had to put a crescent wrench on the other side to keep the nut from turning :)

But now I'm having a ton of trouble getting it out.. I got the top bolt out, and the nut on the bottom.. but now the nut wont come out.. I've been out there pulling on it and prying it for about an hour and it has only came out 1/4 of an inch.. I first tried pulling it w/ my hands.. didn't work. Then I tried hitting it out from the other side.. wouldn't work.. then I tried hitting a screwdriver in up under the head to pull it out, and it worked a little.. but ended up breaking the screwdriver. Meanwhile I was using every lube known to man and none worked. Its 1/4 inch out and I'm not giving up. Anyone have any tips on how to get it out WITHOUT ruining the bolt?

ATC crazy
07-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Use a punch to get inside the bolt hole and punch it out. Or a metal chisle to the head of the bolt and hammer it away. Use plenty of lube.

nouseforaname90
07-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I did.. I used everything. I'll try it all again tomorrow and we'll see what happens. Ugh.