PDA

View Full Version : Question about tightning a 250es cam chain?

boogie5184
07-23-2005, 08:49 AM
ON my '85 250es I have a noise comin gfrom my top end. I have set the valves to th e correct setting but the noise i sstill there. can some one explain to my how the cam shain tensioner works or mainly how to adjust it?

catfish
07-23-2005, 03:54 PM
You can't adjust the chain on it. It has a spring loaded adjuster that keeps tension on the chain guide all the time. If it's stretched beyond the tensioners range, you'll have to replace the chain and/or the chain guide. It's really best to replace the guides and chain all at the same time. The bad thing is if you replace both guides, the head will have to be removed. I would first take the tensioner off and check it to make sure it's working properly.

Blown 331
07-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Actually you can adjust it. The adjuster is on the top of the crank case on the cam chain side. It has a rubber plug over it. Pull the plug and you will see a bolt going through the center of a large nut. I can't remember the exact steps to adjust it though, but it is really simple. Someone will know.

wolfspider
07-23-2005, 04:37 PM
the 250es is self adjusting as far as i can remember, one of my old ones had a big piece of weld on the end of the adjuster to give it more tension, :rolleyes: not recomended.
looks like new chain and guides, but look on the bright side it`ll probably last another 20 years :D

broook
07-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Actually you can adjust it. The adjuster is on the top of the crank case on the cam chain side. It has a rubber plug over it. Pull the plug and you will see a bolt going through the center of a large nut. .

That is on the 200 Reds. The 250 is different. They are pretty much self adjusting. If the adjuster is not takeing up the slack you need a new chain before it does any damage inside.

bigredhead
07-23-2005, 07:11 PM
All the 200 and 185 cc honda's have the adjuster with the rubber cap.

the 250 ES and SX's are self adjusted.

replacment time !

boogie5184
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been gone all weekend. I believe its getting time for a overhaul on this motor anyway, so I guess I'll just drive it for a while longer the way it is . The trike still runs great (as long as you keep it full of oil and overlook the noise). Its always starts on the first try and hasn't let me down yet. I am not sure if it is the cam chain anyway but I figured if it could be adjusted I better give it a try. :beer

Blown 331
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
That is on the 200 Reds. The 250 is different. They are pretty much self adjusting. If the adjuster is not takeing up the slack you need a new chain before it does any damage inside.

Oops, I thought it was a 200. I've never been into a 250.