PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself ? SX rear diff.

bigredhead
07-22-2005, 12:16 PM
So i went to the Hond dealership ( Even tho i swore would never go back there.. ) And got myself some new swingarm bearings.. again.

They now come in a bubble wrap pouch with a tube of grease supplies to pack them full before installation !!! cool !.. 25 $ each.

Went to the service counter with my rear diff.. and basicaly told to go somewhere else with my old Diff. They charge 60 $ an hour and don't gurantee nothing if they break parts.

How hard is it to do at home ?

I'm told you need to put the axle thru the diff and use an air gun to knock the front bolt loose !!!... wow.

Anyone ever do this themselves before ?

bigredhead
07-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey.. here is an idea..

If i mount my diff 180 degrees off.. with the drive side facing the rear of the trike.. bolt on the right side hub.. push the brake and then take the nut off ?

That make sense to anyone ?

Howdy
07-22-2005, 03:48 PM
The differentials can be a pain in the arse. To do it your self you will need a internal bearing puller ( for the needle bearing ), and the special tool to remove the big inverted nut. I have rebuilt a few of these myself ( nice to have the needed tools ). I personally hated doing them ( pain in the keester ), but they needed to be done.
Howdy

bigredhead
07-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Well that's exactly my problem.. it NEEDS to be done.. .. doh.

I have the blind bearing puller ( slide hammer thing with expanders ) But i don't have the other thing " Inverted Nut " tool.. any chance of seeing a picture of that thing ?

I finally found a place in town that is willing to do it. Goona go see them in a few hours if i can get there . So with any luck.

I bet it costs me another 100 $ plus. doubledoh.!!!