PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a rod go bad on a 4 stroke?

thefox
07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
I have been working on a Yamaha YTM 200 for a while now and can't seem to find a crank with a good rod. I have heard of people needing the crank rebuilt on a 2 stroke but I didn't think it was that common on a 4 stroker. The original rod was bad so I bought another engine and that one has a bad rod. This thing is making me mad!!!

Jason Hall
07-21-2005, 10:43 PM
I bought a 85 350x for $200.00 that had the rod slung apart so bad that it trashed both cases,& was wedged in the counter ballancer. Just buy a rod kit for it,& have someone press it on.

dirtface
07-22-2005, 07:14 AM
I picked up a ytm200 a couple years ago, have since sold it. But that is what was wrong with it to, bad rod. Wonder if this was a common problem with these bikes?

83185s
07-22-2005, 02:07 PM
when i got my 200x the top end was off and there was a couple inch wide hole in the cases and i looked down in there to notice there was no rod at all..the kid i got it from said he had it revved so high for so long it threw the piston into the head and the rod shot out the case...it kinda looked like that might have actually happened too..but the tranny is good so i got some good stuff from it