PDA

View Full Version : Wrong pulse generator?

rayno
07-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey guy's! You may have seen my post a few days ago looking for a repair shop in the Bangor Maine area. Well, a friend is helping me with the repairs so I deleted the post.
However! We have hit a snag. My 85 Big Red is not getting any spark and we have narrowed it down to the pulse generator. The problem is the PG thats in my ATC has only one electrical connection. The Clymer manual shows it as having two. The Honda parts computer shows it as having two. My local Honda dealer ordered the part called for in the computer and it is definately different.
Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I can send pictures if needed.
Thanks, Garrett

Also, different type of connectors then the manual shows and compared to the one Honda sent me. Mine is a single spade connector. The one in the manual which is what Honda sent, has two snap plug style connectors.

I have checked the VIN also, this is an 85 Honda Big Red 250ES.

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 07:25 PM
you need 2 wires to complete an electrical circuit so i would think there are 2.

I'll check my manyal in a second... be right back.

mbubbac
07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
lol nice answewr bigredhed and they probly use ground as 1 of the other wires so thats why theres 2 maby

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 07:28 PM
page 376

2 wires.

L/Y = Blue Yelow
G/W = Green White

rayno
07-21-2005, 07:34 PM
i'll send you pictures! Only one wire. I'm guessing the ground is made by connecting the PG to the cover.

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Nope.

You're missing one.. it's in the main wire and the connection is broken off the part you have.

Or you don't have the " Pulse Generator " in your hand..

rayno
07-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Come on! you've got to give me a little more credit then that! I think I would recognize a broken off wire. And it is the pulse generator. Give your email, I'll send you pictures of it.

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
gman7@rogers.com

!! I dunno what to tell you man.. but the manual says 2.. your dealer says 2..etc..

Pls send the pic.. i'll post it for ya !

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 08:49 PM
voila !!!!!!!

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 08:53 PM
whoa.. that's messed up .....

Have you checked the number on the block ?

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Can you take a picture of the bike itself.. with tranny and engine in frame ?

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 09:00 PM
That's not the same casting as the manual.... or i need another drink.!

Well.. yeah i do need a drink.. hell i'm on vacation !! LOL..

The starter motor is behind the cylinder .. right ? cuz it might be the way the picture was taken but that don't seem right.

rayno
07-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Yes, starter is on the top left side of tranny. In the picture I posted, the starter would be in the top left corner and shifter in bottom left. The wires enter through the top.
I'm thinking unless Honda made a few odd ducks for a bit then changed the design, my engine is not original or theres another stator and pulse generator out there on a different engine that just happens to fit a Big Red 250ES and thats what a previous owner fixed it with!
I'll post some pics tomorrow of the wheeler as a whole. (Dark now!)

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
This is what mine looks like.

Your's might be silver ( the SX was black )

ok.. so after looking at it 100 different ways. they seem to be the same casting... Let me dig up my old swingarm bearings thread.. i might have a snap of the inside !

rayno
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
yeah, thats what mine looks like but silver like you said.

bigredhead
07-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Ok. the pictures did not have that portion of the case.. sorry.

However. since you're in there.. the ES and the SX tend to suffer from a problem with the shift pins.. check this thread out ...

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=30576&page=1&pp=15&highlight=shift+arm

rayno
07-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Found the problem. Pulse Gernerator was fine. The second wire, the "missing" wire is connected to the back of the stator. It had come loose. I took the stator off to check the connections on it and found that ground for the stator and PG are connected to the stator with a screw. The ground to the PG is made by mounting it to the cover which the stator is mounted to also. Everything looks original. That is, it doesn't look like a jerry rigged connection. Either it came like that from Honda or the stator and PG are after market and designed differently. If anyone knows any more info about this setup, I'd like to here what you know.
Thanks for the help bigrehead!

bigredhead
07-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Ha.. son of a gun !

That's cool !

I guess electrical diagrams are made with a standard sybol for connection.. the pictures in the clymer ( black and white.. ugh ) SUCK !.

How she run now ?