PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki KLT110 won't idle

Frankencelery
07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
My KLT110 is a great runner and starts every time, but won't idle once it's warmed up. It idles fine when it's cold, but within about 2-3 minutes, I have to keep goosing the gas to keep it running. I'd like to rebuild the carb, and I've posted a request for anyone who knows if such an animal exists, but I'm pretty sure the answer will be no. I've been looking on Ebay for months.

So the question is, does anyone have any specific ideas as to what causes this situation? The pilot screw is where it's supposed to be, and of course I've tried that in other positions as well, but to no avail. Setting the idle higher causes it to rev too high when I'm riding.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

darrel632
07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
go to bike bandit.com you can order a carb kit - problem is usually a sticky float or a bad / plugged jet, worn / bent needle.

Darrel

Frankencelery
07-22-2005, 06:53 PM
If you can find a carb kit for the KLT110 on bikebandit.com I'll eat my socks. Well....maybe not. I looked, and all I could find was the million-dollar parts list you get at the Kawasaki dealer. The needle valve, which is suspect, is $25. That's a lot for one part, especially when I'm not sure if it's the cause of the problem.

KLT Man
07-22-2005, 11:58 PM
VENTING - Check to make sure that the fuel tank is venting properly. This will affect the idle. If it doesnt vent porperly, idle will be erratic and unadjustable. :mad:

FUEL FLOW - Check for kinked, crimped or blocked fuel line from the tank including the fuel valve on the tank. The fuel valve has a screen filter in the tank. :cool:

CARBURETOR - At this point don't worry about a rebuild kit. Base your need on what you find after disassembly. Tear down the carb and clean with carb cleaner. Remove, clean, and inspect both jets. Light should be visible even in the idle jet though it will be smaller than a pinhole. Spray cleaner in every port of the carb. It should flow through the small holes in the carb throat. These small ports are connected to the fuel/air screw and other ports of carb for proper fuel air mixture. This is important. If those ports are clogged, it won't run right. Once done cleaning and inspecting, reassemble the carb. Feel free to use compressed air too :Bounce

Hope this helps :w00t: