PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Color??

nouseforaname90
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I finally decided to Bondo my gas tank and get rid of all the dents.. and now its time to paint it. I have already primered it with Dupli-Color Sandable Primer, and I'm wondering what color of red to use for it. I have Krylon Fusion Red Pepper paint, but I think its too bright of a red. Has anyone ever painted their tank and found a good-matching color? I'm hoping to find a color as close to stock as possible. Thanks!

ATCWRENCH
07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
passion red is factory honda red

nouseforaname90
07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Thank you. Do you know a good company that makes this color? I'm hoping to find as durable of paint as I can.

Maine_Triker
07-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Scarlet Red is the closest your going to find to match the SX red... someone on here must know where to get it...

nouseforaname90
07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah.. I hope. I'll run a search on google and see what I can find.

3 weelin geezer
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Have you tried a car paint place? They wil mix whatever red you want and sell you the other stuff you will need to mix with the paint. Some can put it in a spray can for a one time use. Pretty convenient if you don't have a paint gun.

ClayW
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I would not use Spray can Paint. When the gas hits it, it will turn to crap. Loose its shine and get tacky. The original color Passion Red only came in Acrylic enamel (car paint). You may luck up and find it in a spray can at a dealer, but its not going to be near as durable. Acrylic enamel is good, but I have found that a Base/Clearcoat paint job with automotive paint is by far better. Its extremely durable and gas resistant and can be buffed out if it gets scratched. I know it cost more, but if you want it to look good and to stay looking good thats the way to go. The closest match color wise to (Passion Red) is the Chevy color called SUPER RED. I have used it many times and its a balls on match. Scarlet red seems to be a pinker red. Not near as deep and dark as the Super Red. It rocks and is not real expensive. Hope this helps. If you look in the feedback forum for my name. Open it up and scroll down and you will see a tank I did for a board member. You can see what that color looks like.

Clay :beer

nouseforaname90
07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
How much did you charge to do that tank? I already have the dents in my tank Bonod'ed and its half sanded.. and if you could paint it with automotive paint for me.. it would probably alot less hassle for me to pay you to do it since you know what you are doing than for me to do it myself.. lol. And where would I find that color of an automotive paint? Advanced Auto?

And thanks for sending me to Harlan for those decals. I got them today, and they are great!

Maine_Triker
07-22-2005, 01:22 PM
I thought the SX tank was not Passion Red, and was something else. I know the 350x red is Passion Red, but I thought the SX red was different... :confused:

Guess I know now! :beer