PDA

View Full Version : How can I get some shocks rebuilt with out draining my bank account?

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a few Tri-Z and other shocks I need rebuilt. I do not mind doing it myself, but I have never done it before. The local shops want $130 and up a piece to do it. Why are they so expensive and is there a cheaper alternative?

DeePa
07-19-2005, 12:04 PM
just get the fork seals and ATF/fork oil and dive in. Its really not that hard. Just make sure you pay attention to how everything comes out.

I put a bushing in my 350x bottom tube before the slider, and lets just say that bushing was trashed by the time i pryed it out with a cats claw and a blowtorch.

If your seals arent weeping/leaking, just wash everything out with kerosene.

You will need a fork seal driver, i made one out of a piece of metal pipe.

Just go for it...my honda dealership wanted 120 for my 200s forks to have new seals and that didnt even include the fork oil. I did it myself for 50 bucks, for the seals and the fork oil.

Hop this helps,
Mike

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Are you talking about the front forks? Thoase I can rebiuld. I have done quite a few. I was refering the the rear coil over shock.

TimSr
07-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Good used shocks are cheaper than rebuilds, and rebuilding requires specialized equipment, including the ability to deliver pure Nitrogen at 300psi. $130 is a bargain to get one rebuilt. A good used Warrior shock sells for $95-$140.

86250RZ
07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Only problem with rebuilt shocks is you never know what you got untill its installed on the trike. $130.00 is a good deal, the cheapest I found around here was $180.00

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow. I had no idea. Is this something I can do my self with out special equipment, then have it filled?

LaDano
07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
You're not going to be able to do it. To much high pressure stuff involved. I'm checking locally to get my x recharged, I polished it to a mirror finish and its flat. If I find someone locally to do it, it might be worth your're while to mail it this way. I have a good friend that knows alot of people in the business.

Old 179
07-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Are you just wanting new oil and recharge? Or internal work? I never changed mine in the 85 tri-z. blew it out at a mx race in 85. had to buy a Ohin. I had changed the fluid in a 250r shock and then had them recharge it. Best bite bullet and let the dealer fix it. That is what I've done last few years.

Old 179
07-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Oh forgot to mention the bleeder valve on the reseroir. it is like a tire valve

sblt500r
07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
my buddy had his yz250 rear shock rebuilt with new oil and seals and charged for $60. thats a deal he couldn't pass up. but i didn't think they were much more than that. i had my quadzilla shock rebuilt and revalved and all the parts done for $200 shipped back to me. derise racing did it.

and it is possible to do it yourself. i've done them. you just have to know how much oil to put in and clean all the oil out of them. for the nitrogen i used to work at a welding shop and i got a regulator that goes up to 400 psi with a tank of nitrogen.

and some of the old motorcross manuals tell you how to rebuild shocks.

Jason Hall
07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
If you have some machanical skill, & take your time you can re-build the inerts, usually the seal head seals go bad (seals the shaft & seals the inner shock cylinder). Make sure the shaft isn't pitted, and the inner bore isn't worn or pitted. The hardest part is bleeding out the air when you fill it with oil. Just don't mix up the shim stacks when you take the seal head off the shaft. Then you have to find someone to charge it. That might be the hardest part finding someone to trust your work. I also have a nitrogen tank & adaptor at work, we use it to charge steering cylinders on big loaders.

LonesomeTriZ
07-20-2005, 03:32 PM
My Tri-Z shocks does not have a vlave stem style valve. But the eboch shock does. I am geeting the impression there is no way to avoid the big money. i have looked up the break downs and they looks imple enough for me to do, but I am worried about getting them filled. I am wondering if I can get them filled after the fact. I was told it would only cost me $15. Everything around here cost triple than other ereas because there are not many shops that do this sort of thing. If I was to send it off, who would be a good choice?

jeswinehart
07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
you need a innert ingredient any way ,,, how about those paint ballin people.
maybe check them out as to what they are re-filling their canisters with.
most up my way use a scuba tank but i have heard tell of nitrogen being used.

john

sblt500r
07-20-2005, 08:59 PM
paint ballers use carbon dioxide. shocks get fillled with nitrogen. nitrogen is also good for filling tires. it doesn't change pressure with temperature. if you go to a welding supply store they should be able to fill it for ya. or sell you the items needed to do it.

get a atv magazine like dirt wheels. they have alot of businesses that do shocks. call around and you will probably find a better price.

that triz shock might be a sealed shock. which means its a throw away. but i wouldn't think so on a rear shock for a triz. almost every rear shock on a 3 or 4 wheeler is rebuildable.

LonesomeTriZ
07-20-2005, 09:57 PM
I will do that. I was hoping some one here might save me some time and recomend a place. oh well, it gives me an excuse to dig through my magazines. The price I was quoted is for a Tri-Z shock. They are rebiuldable.

Old 179
07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
seems this past 2 years Dirt Wheel had a article about rear shocks

LonesomeTriZ
07-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Do they have a web site with an archive?

Old 179
07-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Oops, ATVsport November 2001 page 70

LonesomeTriZ
07-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Damn, I do not have that issue.

Old 179
07-20-2005, 11:27 PM
I guess you have no yamaha service book? Honda service manual shows how to change fluid. I don't know if tri-z used seal washers or rubber o ring. nitrogen for 250r is between 284 @ 327lbs. Clymer for a 250r dosn't show how to do this. valve should be opposit side of where hose enters. may have a covering of some sort. Been 20 years since I seen the tri-z shock.

Meat-BoX
07-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Um we made this for my Rear shock so we could take it all apart. I paid a Guy $30.00 and she dont take a charge so I may be in the same Boat. But I have the Tool. I may have a Pic

The 3 tools are the Bearing Pushers my friend tooled up.
The other 2 are pics of the shock tool he made. It worked great. Im sure it will work great when I Rebuild my Rear Shock. :beer