PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket trike found

Vealmonkey
07-17-2005, 11:31 PM
While at my buddys' today working on the suspension 70, neighborhood kids came by looking at the funny 3 wheeler and they told me a friend of theirs had a 3 wheeler 500cc, and that he wanted to get rid of it. Well when I was done working on the 70, I followed them up to their friends house and went to look at this 3 wheeler 500. What I found was a "High Performance ATC" brand aftermarket trike frame with what looks like a rd350 yamaha motor, swingarm, disc brake, aftermarket front triple tree kit of some kind. It didn't have a tank or fender but it appeared to take an old honda 90 or 110 fender just like on my bandito frame, a front wheel, handle bars, honda 90 or 110 rear grab bar, no rear wheels or tires and messed up wiring and complete motor with both carbs. And I rarely find anything around Baltimore Md., let alone something unusual like this. I will be picking it up time permitting, next weekend and paying the guy $200. First one that I've seen not in a magazine, and it still has a "High Performance ATC" sticker on the handle bars, and it isn't all rusted up, but it needs some tlc.

hrc85250r
07-18-2005, 12:03 AM
sweet, post pics ASAP!!!!

Pistonhead
07-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Wicked man! Whats weird about this is last summer there was a guy here advertising a 1988 250R drag trike with a 350 Yamie motor!!!! Maybe there is a connection? Maybe they made frames up until 88?!!!!!!?????

Vealmonkey
07-18-2005, 12:32 AM
The 350 engine is an r5, from what I'm finding out is a 1970-1972 engine. When I get it next weekend I hope to have my digital camera going again. I need to get some 3 bolt wheels, for this and my 110 bandito frame too. I'm just wondering if there is much size difference between this engine and the 750 triple sitting in my buddies garage.....hmmmm......May be going 2 stroke crazy here soon.

83185s
07-18-2005, 01:11 AM
my friend has a 74 rd 350 yamaha with under 5k miles on it..original paint and all..its slick...the guy he got it from did somethin to it so his kid wouldnt kill himsel fso it runs off one cylinder untill you get on it up to about 7k then the other kicks in and you had better hold on..lol..they are bad ace! he traded his 83' 200 e big red for it...id say good trade but thats bad against trikes..but its ok cause it was a good trade..that bike alone is worth more than 3k just cause its original and has less than 8k miles on it...its nice..but that thing would kill r's in no time..its the same engine as a banshee but older...i think its the same anywya..they look the same

Lomax
07-18-2005, 01:38 AM
sounds interesting, cant wait to see it