PDA

View Full Version : 86 - 87 Tecate front fender question SOLVED!!

Orangecnty250r
07-10-2005, 08:05 PM
OK my new factory front fender came in for the 87 tecate just like the one I bought for my 86.

I was assuming the shorter one that was on my 87 was a maier fender. When I flipped it over it had the stock Kawi part # molded in it as well as other similar mold marks.

My question
Does anyone here have a Maier fender with this kawi part number stamped in it. How would they mold a shorter fender with the Kawi part # in it. I scratched the old # with a pencil to try to highlight it but the pic isnt the best.

Probably a maier but my curiosity has been peaked

3tigers
07-10-2005, 08:53 PM
maybe its a UFO brand fender? they also made tecate fenders.

old honda dealr
07-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Looks like a 85 model fender. The longer one is the 86-87 fender. But the shorter one looks like it is for the fat tired 85.

Rex Karz
07-11-2005, 02:12 AM
My 86 and 87 both have short ones.

Orangecnty250r
07-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Did a little more research:

85 Theory
I checked on the 84 and 85 parts # they come up 35004-4008
Both of these fenders have 35004-1181

Maier Theory
I once sold a stocker on ebay. A person emailed me and explained the step ups were built different in the back (just to be sure he wasnt buying a maier)?? Also this does not feel like maier plastic feels just like stock. When Ive seen molds of part #s they are compromised (looks a a copy). I took a new picture--- the numbers are just as high quality as the new #s on the factory one.

UFO Theory
Not enough info.

The thing that has me wondering is that this machine aslo had all high quality stock plastic on it. headlight and shrouds were in great condition. The rears even had all the factory warning decals from which the replacement kits were made. Also if a company was making a shorter replacement fender I dont think they could use a longer stock fender with the part number in the mold?? Also, as mentioned above this feels exactly like the stock plastic-- I have a tri Z maier front fender and all maier stuff on my 85r.

If anyone has a maier or UFO could you please check for this number. Rex Karz do your shorter ones have this number also

Here a better pic of the step ups and the part number on this short fender.

Hmm --could this be an alternate fender Kawi tried at one point- the shape looked pretty good on there.

3tigers
07-11-2005, 06:11 PM
here is a new maier front fender.doesnt look anything like yours.

Orangecnty250r
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Looks like its either a UFO or alternate factory fender. The picture doesnt show how crisp the part number is and the factory feel. I'm leaning towards a stocker. Any UFO fender owners??

Jeb
07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
What it looks like to me is a stock front fender that's been trimmed down. look close at the edge of it.

An 84/85 fender wont fit an 86. too wide if I remember correctly.

I broke a chunk out of the tip of my original fender years ago and trimmed it to get the broken area off it. Might have been the same thing happen to that fender.

Here's a pic from years ago. Hard to tell but the front fender has a few inches trimmed off.

DeePa
07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
it appears his has that little taper before the end in the front of the fender, so i dont think it was cut.

Orangecnty250r
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Jeb You hit the nail on the head!!!!!!

After Ive been seeing these fenders sit side by side as you can see in the first picture I doubted your theory but checked it out.

They looked so different as you can see in all the pics. This one actually makes the 86 front end look fatter which is a nice look.

Once I put them side by side and lifted the front of the fender up to be equal with the new one you can now see its the same fender!!! just cut as you said- It gives a great illusion of being much fatter but its not. they did a nice job rounding the corners also.

Well even though my thoughts of having some rare alternate fender are crushed now I know the truth and thats all I was really looking for to begin with.

Good eye Jeb!! :beer Thanks

Rex Karz
07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
I just looked at my fenders again and they are both the same size as your long one. Sorry for the misinformation, hey, You get what You paid for ! LOL

double r
07-12-2005, 11:32 PM
i've read somewhere, racers use to trim the front fenders for some reason. i don't think you could go wrong with either one. looks good to me.