PDA

View Full Version : ATC Short Track Kit Parts Wanted.

PLJ.
02-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have any pieces or parts left over from the 85/86 "short track racing kits"?? I have the tank and a few of the brackets but are missing a lot of parts. Thanks.

skippy
02-08-2003, 12:43 AM
i have a complete kit, except for one bracket, i also have one extra short tank, for sale.. just the tank..

PLJ.
02-08-2003, 01:33 PM
I may also have an extra tank for sale, because the other parts are impossible to find. If I could see the brackets, I believe that they could be fabricated but the shrouds and the different clamp are another problem. Does your kit include the different lower clamp?? If so, what does it look like?? Thanks for the info.

ChrisD
02-08-2003, 02:45 PM
The lower tripple clamp is the same, but it has a wider truning radius. The steering "stops" on the lower tree can be ground down to widen the turning radius if you can't find the actual lower tree. Also, the shrouds are still available from Honda. I bought a new set for my "box of junk to be used at a later date...." I have the kit and if you race flat track (I ice race), you'll love it. It has saved my but on a few occasions.

PLJ.
02-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Thanks, Chris for the information. I will try to round up the part numbers for the shrouds from Honda. I wish someone would let me see one of those radiator brackets though, just to get an idea of what they look like. I have a couple liquid 250R's and would like to set one up for informal ice racing here in Michigan. Thanks.

CartmanKXT250
02-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Do the stock shrouds fit the short track kit?
I'm looking for a gas tank, mine is a POS and a new IMS one is $199.99 (cheapest I could find)

skippy
02-09-2003, 12:20 PM
nope the tank are a completely different animal!

ChrisD
02-09-2003, 02:25 PM
That's what we do. We ice race almost every weekend. You'll kill them with a threewheeler.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/durchanek/lst?.dir=/Ice+Racing&.view=t

ChrisD
02-09-2003, 02:38 PM
The brackets are not a big deal. If you can't find the right ones, I think you can make an additional bracket to reposition the stock brackets. I would put the tank on and see how far back you can reposition the rediator brackets. Then get a piece of sheet metal to mount to the frame and to the stock bracket. It should probably be approx 1 1/2 to 2 intches on top and 1 inch on the bottom. The Short Track kit comes with a set of small brackets for the bottom of the radiator bracket to move it back an inch anyway. The hoses, if you don't have them, can be replaced with heater core hose from a car. I had to make a hose for mine because the pre-fit hose that connects to the top of the head wouldn't fit. I use an aftermarket head. You can probably fabricate the necessary parts without making it look "Franken". I wish I could send you pics, but my bike is in NY (where we race). I don't like towing it back and forth to Maryland, so I leave it up there.

CartmanKXT250
02-09-2003, 04:54 PM
I was just looking at my OEM shrouds.....
The part # is actually on the inside of the shrouds......
Maybe some of you guys with the short track shrouds can answer this....Do the short track shrouds have a part # on the inside of them?

ChrisD
02-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Yes, but my bike is not here.

skippy
02-10-2003, 02:47 PM
ok i pulled the numbers of the inside of the shrouds and contacted service honda and cal atv.. they both advised that the parts have been discontinued.. as suspected...

mudfreak99
02-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know if they made a short track kit for the 200x's? 83-85...

PLJ.
02-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Well it looks like I purchased a piece to an unsolvable puzzle. Anyone interested in a very nice original "short track tank"??
Sickening, I placed the tank on one of my extra frames and it looks like the positioning and placement of this tank is way better than the stocker!! Maybe I can fabricate something, I just finnished a flattrack bike and you all know the fabrication involved on those machines. I just hated to start cutting and pasting on a nice R. Thanks.

ChrisD
02-11-2003, 12:22 AM
This if frustrating.

Skip...call Andy. That's where I got mine.

PLJ. You don't have to cut and paste anything. You should be able to see that with some external bolt on stuff to reposition the radiator brackers, it should be pretty simple. good luck all!

skippy
02-11-2003, 01:09 AM
got ya chris... and btw andy is putting together a complete polished r now... i thk hes trying to out do ya...

PLJ.
02-20-2003, 01:36 AM
Skip or Chris, would one of you two be kind enough to reveal the actual Honda part numbers for the short track shrouds?? I deal with a very old Honda dealer here, who would like to see what he can do with the number. Check old stock in his back room probably. Thanks.

JohnR.
02-20-2003, 10:57 PM
If you can't get a hold of the part numbers then let me know and I'll try to run out to the shed and get them off my shrouds on my short track kit. Listen to ChrisD, you do not have to hack anything to lay the radiators back. It is all a matter of adding a bit of metal to the stock brackets so the rads will fit tight against the new tank. I didn't get any hoses with mine but I am using the stock 250r hoses without any problems. Keep hunting ebay, I bought one for my friends girlfriend so she could give it to hime at Christmas but the $hitbag seller took the money and ran if you find a guy in upstate New York selling one, be careful. The guy that robbed us had a picture of a nice, complete kit but never sent me a thing.

JohnR.

PLJ.
02-26-2003, 11:49 PM
I am still looking for the original part numbers for the "short track radiator shrouds" for the 85-86 ATC250R. Could anyone help me out with these mysterious numbers?? Thanks.

PLJ.
02-28-2003, 11:12 PM
I went back to the junkyard where I found the shorttrack tank. If they had the tank, a bike must have come in with the entire kit on it. I searched through a pile of plastic, 6 sets of stock shrouds and finally found one that looked different. It was wider than a stock one and had a warning sticker on the top of it. "This gas tank is part of a shorttrack kit intended for..............." I almost fell over. I looked in the pile for the other one but could not find it. I was happy with one and the part number but I kept looking. I found the other one at the opposite side of the yard!! I said a small prayer after this. No cracks and each has the Honda wing stickers and the warning stickers all intact!!!!!!!! I also searched for the rad brackets but did not find anything abnormal. I also looked at 6 sets of 85-86 triple clamps. They all were the same. Did the "kit" clamps have any marking on them?? Or were they just like the stock ones without any steering stops?? Thanks and very Thankful.

JohnR.
02-28-2003, 11:20 PM
The triple clamp has a stop on it but it is different than the stock one. Also, the radiator brackets look the same unless you know what to look for. Where the upper bolt goes throgh the bracket and into the frame it is "kicked" foward an inch or two while the stock one is almost straight up and down. If you cannot find the rest of the parts and want to sell what you have, let me know as I am always looking for spares in case mine gets screwed up.

John

xxxCALI86250rxxx
03-01-2003, 11:33 AM
the triple clamp on my bike looks the same. the only difference is that they make your forks sit at a different angle; and yes, it still has stops on it. it is very hard to tell the difference between the two.

JohnR.
03-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Cali,

I didn't notice any difference on the angle of my forks when I put my kit in. What is different? Are they raked more or less?

John

ChrisD
03-01-2003, 06:36 PM
If you were to look at the tree, it looks the same, but the stops are about 1/4 inch smaller/shorter.

CartmanKXT250
03-01-2003, 09:38 PM
PLJ....did you go to the junkyard in Mount Pleasent? What kind of 250R stuff did they have there?

PLJ.
03-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Cartman, I make it there about once a month. They have a lot of stock front end parts there right now. Triples, forks, radiators, shrouds, gas tanks, etc. Alot of stock pipes, a few axles, one swingarm. one bearing carrier, a few seats, and two cylinders that I saw. No motors, frames, aftermarket parts for the ATC's. No Fourtrax parts, a few older quadracers, one 86 Tecate roller rough, a few 85 Tecates and alot of stock Tri-Z and 200X parts. Thats about it. Let me know what you are looking for, I am heading back on Friday. Thanks.

philmoore
03-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Could somebody please post the part numbers for the short track shrouds?
I have everything but the shrouds...

Please?

Thanks,
Phil.