PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at polishing

chris200x
07-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Well since I'm rebuilding the carb I thought to myself why not clean it up a bit? There is a before picture and where I'm at now. I started with a little wire wheel on the dremel tool then moved to a scotch brite pad. About 3 hours worth of work here. what do I need to to to get it like a mirror?

Orangecnty250r
07-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Ive never done anything with that many obstacles ( I've done forks, swingarms, resevoir bottles, and brackets) All I can say is keep sanding and increasing to finer paper in increments until your fingers cramp up and feel like they'll never work again. The next day when they feel better its time to make them hurt again. At certain intervals use some polish to see how it shines up- if your not happy go at it again. Its not rocket science just very labor intensive. My swingarm took days. All depends on how far you want to go with it but you said "Mirror"

Also use Wizards aluminum polish in the tin can (its pink insulation looking type stuff) after the first time I used this stuff I threw the Mothers brand aluminum polish in the trash. Good luck and post some pics when your done

chris200x
07-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Ya, it's very hard getting into all the little corners and crevices. real pain in the butt if you know what I mean. lol. Gonna have back at it a little later... Gotta give the fingers a break.

I didn't use any sandpaper yet? I was thinking a couple more rounds maybe with the scotch brite pad then move to steel wool.

kilabeez0
07-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Do you have any idea what the upkeep on polished parts are? and a carb for that matter? i did the same thing, basically hit it with a wire wheel and shined it up real nice. i dont think you want to go any farther, otherwise you'll be pulling the carb off after every ride to polish every nook and cranny.

Huffa
07-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Do you have any idea what the upkeep on polished parts are? and a carb for that matter? i did the same thing, basically hit it with a wire wheel and shined it up real nice. i dont think you want to go any farther, otherwise you'll be pulling the carb off after every ride to polish every nook and cranny.

He's right. Polished parts like that get dull in no time, so don't go nuts on it.

I do mine too but only spend 10-15 minutes on it and thats it.

Looks really good though Chris!! :beer

MTS
07-09-2005, 08:15 PM
you can cheat and clear coat it with some spray on clear coat....takes a little of the shine away not much tho and it helps not as much polishing lol

88 Turbo Coupe
07-09-2005, 08:42 PM
If you have a bench grinder get a buffing wheel and the different grit polishes. It takes no time once you get the hang of it. Buy a spray can of clear to keep that shine.

BigRedRunner
07-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Good start, a little bit more and they can really shine. I used a flap wheel on the dremel for the really bad, tight areas, than 220 sand paper on a DA sander for the easier to reach places. Then use the same 220 grit by hand on those tight areas I had to use the flap wheel on. Then its on to 320-400-600 by hand. I finish it by using this (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00902896000&bidsite=CRAFT) use in conjunction with this (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00964941000&bidsite=CRAFT) . I would reccomend getting tight areas buffed with the dremel with the above rouges before using the big buffing wheel for a more uniform look. Finish some mother's aluminum/mag polish and you'll be shinnin'. :cool:
I know nothing on the subject and ended up with whats in the pic.

sblt500r
07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
after you sand it with the fine paper it will polish up real fast with the buffing wheel. and for getting in the tight spots you can buy little buffing wheels for the dremel that will fit.

Huffa
07-09-2005, 09:46 PM
I clear coated my clutch cover on my CRF after I polished it one time and it still seemed to get dull.

Maybe it was cheap clear coat :wondering I really don't know?

BRR that cylinder -head came out really nice! :beer

What happens when it heats up though, effect it at all?

chris200x
07-10-2005, 12:23 AM
He's right. Polished parts like that get dull in no time, so don't go nuts on it.

I do mine too but only spend 10-15 minutes on it and thats it.

Looks really good though Chris!! :beer

Geez I think your right. I just thought I'd add some more bling. :cool:

chris200x
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
What about the rear axle. I think I read somewhere on here about putting your trike up on blocks and running it while sanding. I guess that wouldn't be worth polishing either.

vartiak15
07-11-2005, 06:45 PM
just get the rear axle powder coated. i didnt get mine done i just used some rim paint and it looks sweet. get it done in a kinda metalic silver. it should only be like 30-40 bucks.

sblt500r
07-11-2005, 09:21 PM
What about the rear axle. I think I read somewhere on here about putting your trike up on blocks and running it while sanding. I guess that wouldn't be worth polishing either.

if you polish your axle it will rust up and turn a nice redish brown color. unless you have an aluminum axle!!

chris200x
07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Hmm,,, maybe my polishing days are over. lol