PDA

View Full Version : Keihin Carb Question for 185S (Pilot Jet)

thedeatons
07-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I have run into a problem. I yanked the Pilot Jet due to an erratic idle, and noticed it is an interference fit jet, with no threads. The carb is original with the bike, and the only pilots the locals carry (the big shop) are threaded Keihins. They spoke witht he mechanics who mentioned that the carb comes with the pilot, and that is the only way to get a new one. This sounds bogus to me, as it is a removable jet. I removed it using guarded pliers, and gave it two 1/4 turn twists, then it pulled right out. Does anyone have any idea where to obtain a new Keihin #38 PIlot Jet (unthreaded)? We also ordered the pilot jet from Honda using the microfiche and it came in as a threaded piece also. I was told that Keihin will offer no help and that I should try www.sudco.com in SoCal for Keihin questions. I have been unable to get through at the moment, and was looking for some alternate help. If anyone has one of these I have a Paypal account and am not afraid to use it!! Thanks, James

DeePa
07-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Those jets are pressed in and are said to be unremovable, but it seems you have removed it. How bad is the old jet?

I dont think Keihin will offer much support on a 20 + year old product. I would say to start looking on ebay for another suitable carb.

thedeatons
07-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Ya, it just came right out like other pressed in pieces I have worked with. Another carb is not an option, as it's a complete restoration. Another piece of info I forgot to mention for those who may not know is that this particular pilot is not slotted at the end for a screwdriver. Surely someone out there has some sitting around in a container. I may end up just pressing this one back in using it as is. Thanks for the help so far. James

jenndnn3
07-09-2005, 10:22 AM
I know about your carb, I had one of those in my 79 110. I upgraded to a nice used 83 110 carb. Are you really deadset agianst upgrading this carb? I am unsure the year of this trike but it sounds like an early year one due to that jet alone. Find a carb in the newer years of the 185's that way you keep the true carb to the trike, but you get the option of unscrewing the pilot jet when it needs cleaning.