PDA

View Full Version : Question for you trike guys

bayougrizz
02-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Well, I haven't owned a three wheeler since I bought a honda fourtrax 125 four wheeler back in the mid 80's, but was the proud owner of a couple 110's before that. Within the last few years I have gotten into hard core mudding and recently had to sell a Grizzly that I had modded to the gills........literally. With a new house and a baby on the way I can't afford too much, but would like to keep mud riding. So, heres my question........

I have been thinking about getting a trike, either a 250r or a 350x and making it into a mudder. Has anyone lowered the first two gears of either of these bikes before? I imagine that I could play with the sprockets to get the desired affect, but I would like to only affect the first two gears, or even just first gear within the tranny. I am thinking about lowering the gearing to turn some hearty mud tires, snorkeling the intake, modding the engine, welding paddles to the rear axle, etc etc. I think it would hang with a lot of the 4X4 quads in the mud and give people something to talk about. Let me know what you guys think about it.

If its not really do-able, I will still get a trike and just try to trick it out. I would have a blast on it either way!!

ATC crazy
02-07-2003, 11:28 PM
2wd v.s. 4wd? Aint no way yours is going to keep up even with the biggest and baddest tires on the market. Id say save your money and get a 4x4. Or you could get a 250r and leave it stock and smoke almost every other ATV out there.

bayougrizz
02-07-2003, 11:39 PM
I see. OK then, I still have a 250r that I am eyeing pretty hard. IF I buy this bike, what kind of bolt on performance mods do you recommend? What all can I do for about $500 to increase the performance of a stock 250r, and where can I go online to look for aftermarket products?

84250r
02-07-2003, 11:46 PM
What year 250r is it? if its a 85-86 mods are like, bigger carb,pipe,cr head gasket,,,,,but with 38 stock HP on a 85-86 250r , i would say thats more then enough, with you mudding a 250r not a good idea, 1) 2 wheel drive 2) to much top end not enough low end,on where you need it and 3rd) a 350X is more of a mudder then a 250r would far ever be,,,just my 2 cents

G-MAN-1
02-08-2003, 12:06 AM
yeh there is no way a 3 wheeler would be a great mudder, i may be wrong but most likely not. i have a 4x4 and nothing compares to it in the mud NOTHING................ :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :idea:

KLT Man
02-08-2003, 12:23 AM
The 250R and 350X are both for racing, but the 250R is definitely NOT for mudding.

In my opinion, if you want a 3, get the 350X. It would be a little more suitable for mudding, and if you find that it doesn't perform like you want in the mud, you could still "trick it out" and make a great dirt trike.

bayougrizz
02-08-2003, 12:43 AM
thanks for the responses guys. you've definitely set me straight on this three wheeler! I am pretty sure that I am still buying one, I will just have a different agenda with it and stay away from the mud!

J.D.
02-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Well just because 3 wheelers aren't designed for mudding doesn't mean you can't do it! When it rains my land(10 acres) turns into a big mud puddle and I go and have a blast! By the time I'm done the left half of my back looks like I'm some kind of freakin' mud monster....(only because my left mud flap is gone :x )

Levithan
02-09-2003, 08:30 AM
What about a 200x? how would that stand up?