PDA

View Full Version : SX 250 rear shock. They supposed to do this ??

Huffa
07-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Do ALL SX250's make a strange sort of suction noise when rebounding?

Reason I ask is mine does, yet it seems to work proper. I had the spring off and tested it. It goes down fast on compression but on rebound comes up slow. Could use more compressiom damping but I have a feeling this is the stock way it's supposed to be.

Still the noise is strange and it bothered me so I got my neighbors SX, which is hardly ridden much at all (he's retired now) and his does the same thing.

It's almost like your hearing the oil blasting through the damping holes. Weird!

atcmatt
07-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeh mate I think it is a coomon thing with all 250sx/es models. My 250es does the same, doesnt seem to be affecting it at all mate.

Matt

Huffa
07-09-2005, 07:25 AM
I never heard any bike, trike, whatever make a noise like that. When I 1st got the SX I definitly thought the shock was shot.

Thanks buddy, I mean mate.

bigredhead
07-09-2005, 08:50 AM
yeah.. mine makes a rough sucktion noise but it's working good.

for a 20 year old shock that's never been serviced !!!!

ATC crazy
07-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Yup....its common for the SX's to do this. Heck...even my new Foreman does it.

freewheel3
07-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Huffa, it,s been my experience that suction noise = good shock, no noise = wore out shock. All my good shocks (Yamaha & Honda ) make that noise, the wore out ones don't & are nothing more than a spring that make your trike go boing, boing, boing......

Tri-ZNate
07-10-2005, 05:09 PM
yep my SX makes that noise when you push the rear down and pull up

MO350X
07-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I just rode mine this afternoon.
It does the same thing.
If you get the chance, adjust the spring preload right....it makes a WORLD of difference if you set it for your weight.
Mine is on the second click (number two from the "lightest" setting).
I weigh 185, my wife is lighter and this setting works well for both of us.
When we bought it it was on the fourth (second hardest).
THAT stank.
It rode decent but I think 80% of the suspension was the tires at that time.
Now it rides GREAT and the suspension is doing what it's supposed to.

MAN, it's a great trail trike! :beer
It's basically a three-wheeled moutain goat. :D

Oldshell4481
07-10-2005, 10:17 PM
my 200x makes that noise so im guessing it is normal

broook
07-11-2005, 07:16 AM
That is the way a shock is supposed to work. The spring gives you an adjustable compression rate for going down and the oil in the shock stops it from rebounding with a bounce. If you ever go to buy a used shock for a trike or m/cycle don`t buy it if doesn`t doesn`t make that sound.