PDA

View Full Version : I need some electrical know-how

Yamahauler
07-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I got my handwarmers today and I know how to install them, all except for which wire to tap in to in the headlight to get a 12-volt regulated circuit. If anyone could tell me, that would be great.
Thanks

Heres the wiring diagram for my trike.
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/YTM200EKEL.jpg

Heres the wiring diagram for the handwarmers.
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5426/electrical6eo.jpg

sblt500r
07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
why can't you run a wire right from the battery? if you go from the headlight won't you need to have the headlight on to run the hand warmers? unless thats what you want.

Tri-ZNate
07-08-2005, 09:33 PM
taking it to your head lights is alot of hassel you dont want. Run them to your battery and it is so much easier.

oddball3
07-08-2005, 09:41 PM
I wouldnt hook it directly to the battery, because if you leave the hand warmer switch on you will kill the battery. My Dad had his hooked to the batt and always had to remember to shut the switch of after riding.
I would hook it to one of the blue low beem wire, or another hot wire while the trike is running. Not to a constant hot. Or you might forget to shut the switch off and it will kill your battery.

Tri-ZNate
07-08-2005, 10:26 PM
I wouldnt hook it directly to the battery, because if you leave the hand warmer switch on you will kill the battery..

Yeah I've had that happen once or twice, but that is why you have a backup starter :naughty:

Howdy
07-08-2005, 10:43 PM
You should be able to hook it up to the brown wire coming from the ignition switch ( it runs the neutral light. This would allow them to be on when the motor isn't running.

But, I would reccomend hooking it up to the L/B ( I think it is Blue with Black stripe )wire that powers the lights. You want to be sure to connect it between the key switch and the light switch. Going this route would make it so that the machine has to be running for them to work. This would help you keep from draining the battery as fast. Going this route you would need to take the Red wire from the warmers and ground it to the frame, take the yellow wire and connect it to the L/B wire and you should be good to go.
Howdy

Yamahauler
07-09-2005, 01:11 PM
You should be able to hook it up to the brown wire coming from the ignition switch ( it runs the neutral light. This would allow them to be on when the motor isn't running.

But, I would reccomend hooking it up to the L/B ( I think it is Blue with Black stripe )wire that powers the lights. You want to be sure to connect it between the key switch and the light switch. Going this route would make it so that the machine has to be running for them to work. This would help you keep from draining the battery as fast. Going this route you would need to take the Red wire from the warmers and ground it to the frame, take the yellow wire and connect it to the L/B wire and you should be good to go.
Howdy

That sounds good, thanks. But another question, is, will the lights have to be running for the warmers to work? Or will you be able to use the warmers without running the light.

Howdy
07-09-2005, 09:48 PM
That sounds good, thanks. But another question, is, will the lights have to be running for the warmers to work? Or will you be able to use the warmers without running the light.

If you hook the yellow wire up to the BR wire coming from the key switch ( it should be on when the switch is on ), then you would be able to run the warmers when ever the key switch is on. ;)
Howdy

Yamahauler
07-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Well i got the handwarmers hooked up and, wow they are good.
I tapped the Brown wire coming from the key switch and it will work on the second key position. I can't run it right now though (rebuilding top end)

Thanks Howdy!