PDA

View Full Version : just received my 86 tri-z from Cali today!

350xman
07-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Guys
Well, I finally received my 86 tri-z from California today and it looks alot better in person then I thought it would from the Pictures and my Brothers description of it. I got my bro to go and inspect the 86 tri-z and ride in Cali to see if it was in good shape or not and worth while buying.
There are a few things that I have to do before I ride it like putting in some oil , coolant and gas and also check out the brakes and other stuff. But , I have a question about how much oil and coolant I need to add to it. I have read on some other forums that the 86 tri-z take 1.10 quarts of motor oil and 1.05 quarts of coolant now is this correct or do I need to add more of both once I have started it? A fellow track rider told me he puts in 1.25 quarts of both but is this correct? I still haven't received my manual for the 86 tri-z and I was wondering if anyone on the board has a 86 tri-z service manual. If so could you tell me what the right amount of coolant and oil is needed for a 86 tri-z to run properly? I am going to get some pictures of the bike on Sat and try to post them up.
Thanks
350xman

mywifeknowseverything
07-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Oil....1.05 Qt
Coolant.....1.06

You didnt happen to snag that up in the Fresno area did you????

If so....You beat me by a Day.... :TrikesOwn :beer

350xman
07-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi
No , I picked my 86 tri-z up from the San Diego area about a month ago but finally got it shipped out about a 1 1/2 weeks ago. So it was someone else who beat you to it. Good luck with finding another 86 tri-z.
Thanks for the confirmation of the oil and coolant capacities. Do I have to bleed any air out of the coolant system or not like on a brake system?
Thanks
350xman

cool_racer
07-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi
No , I picked my 86 tri-z up from the San Diego area about a month ago but finally got it shipped out about a 1 1/2 weeks ago. So it was someone else who beat you to it. Good luck with finding another 86 tri-z.
Thanks for the confirmation of the oil and coolant capacities. Do I have to bleed any air out of the coolant system or not like on a brake system?
Thanks
350xman
you will need to cut off the gas (so it doesent start or flood) and pull the spark plug wire and kick it over a few times to fill up the water jackets and get the oil moving before starting

350xman
07-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Hi Guys
Thanks for the tips on how to get it going again. Is there anything else I need to know before I start her up and run it?
Take it easy.
Thanks 350xman

grundlegrabber
07-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Some motors have a coolant check bolt on the cylinder or head. Take the bolt out and make sure coolant comes out, then you knlow the water jacket is full. Once you fill the radiator, run it for a minute witht he cap off to make sure all the air is out. Since it doesn't have a thermostat there shouldn't be much trapped air. I'm not a TirZ guy but this is general info about all liquid cooled 2 strokes. Great score man. Seems like all the nicest bikes come from cali. Having someone out there to check it out in person is an invaluable resource.

mywifeknowseverything
07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
There should be a Drain Bolt on the Right side of the Cylinder....

Since it doesn't have a thermostat

Z's are the only ones WITH a Thermo.....