PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter on an SX?

nouseforaname90
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Sorry about all the SX questions lately guys, but I'm just kinda new to this whole thing. I know there is an oil filter on an SX, where it is, and how to get it out.. but what kind of filter is it? Is it just one of those metal net kind of things that you clean and put back in, or the kind of filter like from a car that you have to change?? I'm guessing its just the metal thingy that you clean and put back in though. Thanks!!
(btw.. I would take it out and do it myself.. but I just changed the oil (before I knew about the filter), and don't feel like changing the oil again just to clean out the filter)

Maine_Triker
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Yup... she has a filter. It's behind that little peice on the crankcase cover. It is an actual filter and should be changed. There is a spring behind it, when you put a new filter in, don't forget that spring!!!!

The filters are the same as the 350x/250es ones. Cheap on eBay.

nouseforaname90
07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Ok.. thanks. I have a farm supply place by my house that has a ton of different spark plugs and oil filters. I got the spark plugs for my SX there, do you think they would have the filters? Or should I just go straight to ebay?

dirtface
07-07-2005, 09:44 PM
When you put the new filter in make sure you put it in the same as you took the old one out. A buddy of mine put one in backwards, and starved his top end of oil.

Maine_Triker
07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Check with the guy you got the plugs from. If he has the filters you would have them right away, whereas on eBay you could wait a while.

Phil

nouseforaname90
07-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey dirtface.. I know you live near me.. so how much do you know about tearing apart and rebuilding 3 wheelers? (SX's, specifically)

bigredhead
07-07-2005, 10:21 PM
oil filters are the same as the honda 4 wheelers.. dirt bikes - xr series.. and many other honda models... the honda rancher 350 has the same one for sure off the top of my head. I get mine from Canadian Tire or the honda dealer.. any place that has ATV filters will have them usually.

you can change it without draining the oil in the tranny.. it's above the oil level. some will spill out when you change the thing, but nothing major.. maybe an oz.

nouseforaname90
07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah.. I looked them up on eBay and this filter fits ALOT of models. 23 dollars for 10 filters, but I'm going to stop by the shop by my house sometime and see how much they want for one.

dirtface
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I have tore apart alot of four strokes, But I am more of a two stroke guy. If you look at the trikes I own, they are all two strokes except an SX and a 350X. I also own two Quadracers and a snowmobile (All 2-strokes). If your SX runs good, I would just leave it alone, they are a really nice reliable bike. Modifications are very limited on them.

nouseforaname90
07-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I know.. but within a year or so, I'm hoping to do a tear-down of my bike. Paint the frame and stuff.. get new plastics for it.. just make it look really good and customize it so its "my" trike and one-of-a-kind. I was hoping to find someone that knew how to do it that would "show me the ropes" and help me with the teardown and rebuild. I don't want to screw it up, but I'll try to find someone within my family that cna help me. lol

Dads
07-08-2005, 06:52 AM
It's a paper filter and can be changed with out changing the oil.

nouseforaname90
07-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Hmm.. oh.
I bet the paper filter in it is probly the original.. lol. The guy I got it from was the original owner, and never mentioned anything to me about a filter.

bigredhead
07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
ouch..

BTW: You don't need to remove the plastic cover on top of the metal one.. just remove the 3 x 8mm bolts and it pops off.. make sure you don't loose the spring OR the rubber o-ring behind it.

Huffa
07-08-2005, 11:05 AM
If you want to really get technical there are TWO filters on the SX.

One is on the inside of the right crankcase. Wouldn't be a bad idea either to check it on a 20 year old machine.

#8 on here:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Honda/H00270025.gif

nouseforaname90
07-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Why is there two? Thats kinda weird.. lol.
Thanks alot though, guys!

bigredhead
07-08-2005, 12:39 PM
the other one is to keep stuff out of the pump.. the removable one is an easy access and replacable filter.

you gotta open it up to get at the other one.

nouseforaname90
07-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Ohh. I see. Thanks for all the help guys.. I appreciate it.

Dads
07-08-2005, 05:40 PM
There are two O-rings. A small one for the oil port out and the cover seal. Replaces them with oil filter or they will leak.
AL

ATC crazy
07-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Just get your filter from your local store. If they dont have it, Advance Auto or any autoparts store should have them on the shelf. They do around here. When you buy the filter, there shoud be a new o-ring included with it. This will replace the o-ring on the oil filter cover. Remember to dab it with motor oil to prevent leaks, and from melting to the case.

And remember what way the oil filter goes in. Some filters will say "THIS SIDE OUT" or something like that, but others wont. And dont forget the spring that goes behind the filter.

Dont worry about the second filter inside the motor. This should only be replaced/cleaned if the motor is ever disassembled or rebuilt.

This might sound complicated, but its one of the easiest filters to change of any machine out there.