PDA

View Full Version : Drastic measures with calipers!!!

250r'en +TCB
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
The 2 bolts that hold up the brake pads in my front brake caliper arn't budging! Me and my dad have put it through the works, soaking the thing with lube many times, carbon tip alan wrenches that fit on ratchets. While doing all this we vigeroucly tapped them with a hammer.....nothing. :cry:
Tomorow we're breaking out the torch to heat it up to hopefully expand the caliper around the bolts so we can back them out. :rolleyes:
This is of coarse a last, desperate measure.....ANY other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. :beer
By the way, just for laughs I called up the honda dealer, and it cost $318 for a caliper to an 85R!!! funny in a scary sort of way! :eek:

250r'en +TCB
07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
by the way, do the 2 bolts thread after they go through the brake pads??? In other words, do they thread on BOTH sides??? I must know this if we are to torch it....

wanta86r
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
they only thread on the one side. i have a 85r caliper and some parts if yours gets damaged. FYI - if the pad bolts are locked up that tight itsa probably a good idea to rebuild the whole caliper. you can get all the parts needed at service honda for well under 100.00. Not a bad idea for a 20 year old machine if its never been done

x.system
07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
The threads are only on the one side, close to the allen head. The rest of the bolt is smooth through the pads and through the rest of the caliper.

Hornetpowerspor
07-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I have had to heat them up before. Make sure when you put them back together use antiseize on the smooth part of the pin and on the threads. This will make it much easier down the road when you replace the brakes again.

250r'en +TCB
07-06-2005, 11:05 PM
hey wanta86r, if you can get me part #'s I'll do it......thanks guys for your help and sugestions

wanta86r
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
hey wanta86r, if you can get me part #'s I'll do it......thanks guys for your help and sugestions

go to www.servicehonda.com. you can find everything your looking for with part numbers there. If you are serious about your 250r you should probably get familiar with them, at least for all of your oem needs